Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I received my offer for Management with Marketing and I'm thinking of choosing this as my firm choice. Anyone else that chose the same degree?
    Also, If anybody happens to study at Leeds Business School, any thoughts of the lectures and if they are supportive etc?

ReputationRep:
    I don't do your course but I do study in the business school as a first year.

Your lectures mainly won't be in the business school because it doesn't have enough lecture theatres. A lot of them are in the conference auditoriums, Roger Stevens and the RupertBeckett lecture theatre.

Almost all lectures are 1 hour long (well 50 minutes as they start at 5 past and finish are 5 too) and are almost always between 9 and 6pm.

Not sure about your course but in your first year business students seem to have very few contact hours. I had 7 a week last semester and about 12 a week this semester. Most modules have 1 lecture a week and a seminar weekly/fortnightly. Though this does depend.

You will be expected to be very independent and conduct a lot of your own research and do your own work. You can check contact hours and stuff on the LUBS website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I don't do your course but I do study in the business school as a first year.

Your lectures mainly won't be in the business school because it doesn't have enough lecture theatres. A lot of them are in the conference auditoriums, Roger Stevens and the RupertBeckett lecture theatre.

Almost all lectures are 1 hour long (well 50 minutes as they start at 5 past and finish are 5 too) and are almost always between 9 and 6pm.

Not sure about your course but in your first year business students seem to have very few contact hours. I had 7 a week last semester and about 12 a week this semester. Most modules have 1 lecture a week and a seminar weekly/fortnightly. Though this does depend.

You will be expected to be very independent and conduct a lot of your own research and do your own work. You can check contact hours and stuff on the LUBS website
    Hi, thanks so much for your reply. Are you satisfied with the school in terms of teaching and the way it provides information? What I mean is ..do you regret going to Leeds? I am really nervous about making the right decision and I'm trying to do a bit of research

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b_stef)
    Hi, thanks so much for your reply. Are you satisfied with the school in terms of teaching and the way it provides information? What I mean is ..do you regret going to Leeds? I am really nervous about making the right decision and I'm trying to do a bit of research
    I don't regret going to Leeds I mean there are LOADS of opportunities to meetpeople in industry and chances to get experience and stuff. All universities require serious amounts of self study. I guess I'm just not sure on my course. I picked international business so I don't get to do marketing this year and I really miss it. I think I'm just sick of economics

ReputationRep:
    I don't regret going to Leeds I mean there are LOADS of opportunities to meetpeople in industry and chances to get experience and stuff. All universities require serious amounts of self study. I guess I'm just not sure on my course. I picked international business so I don't get to do marketing this year and I really miss it. I think I'm just sick of economics
    ah, thanks. I'm looking forward to it ^.^

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I received my offer for Management with Marketing and I'm thinking of choosing this as my firm choice. Anyone else that chose the same degree?
    Also, If anybody happens to study at Leeds Business School, any thoughts of the lectures and if they are supportive etc?
    Hi,
    I also received my offer for the same course(Management with Marketing). Similarly, I think to choose it as a firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki_L.)
    Hi,
    I also received my offer for the same course(Management with Marketing). Similarly, I think to choose it as a firm choice.
    hi there
    I'm glad i finally found someone on the exact same degree as me. I will firm Leeds soon. Are you from the uk?

ReputationRep:
    hi there
    I'm glad i finally found someone on the exact same degree as me. I will firm Leeds soon. Are you from the uk?
    No, I'm from Bulgaria. And what about u ? Are u from UK ?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm from Bulgaria. And what about u ? Are u from UK ?
    I'm from Romania, we're basically neighbours haha! Have you applied for accommodation yet?

ReputationRep:
    It's really bizarre, we have quite a few students from both Romania and Bulgaria on my course alone! I've got a presentation to do in a few weeks and my group is one Dutch girl, one Tawainese girl, me and two girls from Bulgaria

ReputationRep:
    It's really bizarre, we have quite a few students from both Romania and Bulgaria on my course alone! I've got a presentation to do in a few weeks and my group is one Dutch girl, one Tawainese girl, me and two girls from Bulgaria
    hi, since you're doing bsc international business i wanted to ask for some advice.
    so, I've chosen the BA Management with marketing at leeds but now I'm thinking to switching to BSc International business with marketing. I looked at the modules and they are basically the same, if not, more things to learn for the BA degree( as in accounting and more marketing related modules, starting your own business etc). From what I've noticed, I am not inclined to switch to int business anymore but it really bothers me that my degree is BA and not a BSc. The thing is, I am studying a science related "profile" in high school here in my country and have been studying maths for the last 12 years. I just feel that all that will be thrown away...I don't know if you know what I'm saying but I read on many blogs that Bsc "looks better" for some employers rather than BA.
    Any advice on that? pleased ^.^

ReputationRep:
    hi, since you're doing bsc international business i wanted to ask for some advice.
    so, I've chosen the BA Management with marketing at leeds but now I'm thinking to switching to BSc International business with marketing. I looked at the modules and they are basically the same, if not, more things to learn for the BA degree( as in accounting and more marketing related modules, starting your own business etc). From what I've noticed, I am not inclined to switch to int business anymore but it really bothers me that my degree is BA and not a BSc. The thing is, I am studying a science related "profile" in high school here in my country and have been studying maths for the last 12 years. I just feel that all that will be thrown away...I don't know if you know what I'm saying but I read on many blogs that Bsc "looks better" for some employers rather than BA.
    Any advice on that? pleased ^.^
    It's all very weird. I mean they are worth exactly the same as a degree, but I guess some have a prejudice that 'bachelor of science' sounds better than 'bachelor of arts'.
    I mean, your personal tutor and stuff would still be a marketing tutor, as in the degree marketing actually gets more 'weight' to it.

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...00-n2n5-335486
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-n1n5

They're very similar courses in the first year
    -I HATE economics for management. Because I never studied economics before -_- But it's all examined by multiple choice exams. So that's nice I guess. - runs across both semesters
    -You'll also do organisational behaviour no matter what. Other than the 5pm lectures that's alright, you do two online mcq's (open book though) and you'll do a group essay in second semester and have an essay based exam. - again both semesters
    -Can't tell you about personal tutorials as I have them for IB
    -Principles of IB is multiple choice exam at the end of first semester and an essay based exam second semester - both semesters
    -Global entrepreneurship is second semester only, and you have a mid term exam (mines a week today) and a final exam, and both are essay based.

doing joint honours you'll only have a maximum of 10 credits for 'optional' modules that can be taken from many different schools

so for first year at least IB and marketing is more exam based, and management an marketing is more essay based assessments

Guess it's completely up to you though. In second year you have less compulsory modules in IB and marketing, but one more in third year.

http://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergra...and-marketing/
    http://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergra...ith-marketing/

ReputationRep:
    It's all very weird. I mean they are worth exactly the same as a degree, but I guess some have a prejudice that 'bachelor of science' sounds better than 'bachelor of arts'.
    I mean, your personal tutor and stuff would still be a marketing tutor, as in the degree marketing actually gets more 'weight' to it.

http://university.which.co.uk/univer...00-n2n5-335486
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-n1n5

They're very similar courses in the first year
    -I HATE economics for management. Because I never studied economics before -_- But it's all examined by multiple choice exams. So that's nice I guess. - runs across both semesters
    -You'll also do organisational behaviour no matter what. Other than the 5pm lectures that's alright, you do two online mcq's (open book though) and you'll do a group essay in second semester and have an essay based exam. - again both semesters
    -Can't tell you about personal tutorials as I have them for IB
    -Principles of IB is multiple choice exam at the end of first semester and an essay based exam second semester - both semesters
    -Global entrepreneurship is second semester only, and you have a mid term exam (mines a week today) and a final exam, and both are essay based.

doing joint honours you'll only have a maximum of 10 credits for 'optional' modules that can be taken from many different schools

so for first year at least IB and marketing is more exam based, and management an marketing is more essay based assessments

Guess it's completely up to you though. In second year you have less compulsory modules in IB and marketing, but one more in third year.

http://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergra...and-marketing/
    http://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergra...ith-marketing/
    I totally agree with what u said in the beginning. I've studied both economics and entrepreneurship before and i think that economics won't come as too of struggle for me. What annoys me is the similarity between these 2 degrees.
    Regarding the "bsc ib with markeing" and "ba management w marketing" as far as i know, they re not considered joint degrees :3. Do you happen to know if you can choose a foreign language as an optional module/ discovery module?
    I know opinions vary from individual to individual, but would i actually benefit of the same "perks" from either of the 2 degrees. would they offer the same job prospects?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with what u said in the beginning. I've studied both economics and entrepreneurship before and i think that economics won't come as too of struggle for me. What annoys me is the similarity between these 2 degrees.
    Regarding the "bsc ib with markeing" and "ba management w marketing" as far as i know, they re not considered joint degrees :3. Do you happen to know if you can choose a foreign language as an optional module/ discovery module?
    I know opinions vary from individual to individual, but would i actually benefit of the same "perks" from either of the 2 degrees. would they offer the same job prospects?

thanks
    They are joint honours degrees technically. As you have to study compulsory modules for each part (Ib and marketing or management and marketing). In your first year you won't have any optionals but you'll be able to pick a single semester discovery module. This means you could pick a foreign language if you wished, but would only be able to do one 10 credit module of it in the first year. This won't show in your degree title, for example it won't say 'International business and marketing and spanish' but it will appear in the in depth break down.

I mean there are arguments that there is no such thing as 'domestic only' business any more. Most businesses have some degree of 'internationality' may it be sourcing materials, selling online and businesses have to be aware of global competition as well as domestic market competition. If you pick management with marketing you will have a much more 'United kingdom' focus to your degree, which is great if you want to work here, but International business has more of a global view.

I personally feel that IB gives a more well rounded look at business, as it looks at every functional area, and through optionals and stuff you can start to focus a degree in a certain area if you find you really like it. But then, I will biased towards my own degree

Third year is where the massive difference is. Your dissertation will not be on marketing. It will be either on areas to do with management, or areas to do with international business. This is a 10,000 word dissertation with a 1,500 literature review, so I'd consider this carefully

Statistically speaking management has a higher proportion of people 'in work or further education after 6 months' though I hate these figures as someone could be working in a shoe shop and still be classed as working, or could just be doing a post grad. Though again statistically, International business has a higher average graduate salary of £24,000 compared with £21,000

It's all personal preference I guess. Like I said, there are many people from both bulgaria and romania on my course, and international students actually outweigh us 'domestic' students!

+you wouldn't have to study accounting with Ib I took financial accounting for a discovery module. Silly silly me!

ReputationRep:
    oooops sorry. I am incorrect. Management dissertation is 'only' 6,000 words. Damn. Lucky people. But still prefer my topic

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Hi. Have you accepted your offer? I'm the only one from my school who is doing this course!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Did you end up going for management with marketing? I kind of had the same issue as you but have decided on this degree. Apparently its possible to make changes to the degree slightly in the first year. I'm literally the only one from my college doing this degree! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shafiji)
    Hey. Did you end up going for management with marketing? I kind of had the same issue as you but have decided on this degree. Apparently its possible to make changes to the degree slightly in the first year. I'm literally the only one from my college doing this degree! :/
    Hi there, I did, but not at Leeds, i missed my offer by 0,2 points

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.