Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ever been invited to a school/uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been invited to a school or uni, where the school has reached out to you to offer a place, rather than you reach out to them to apply for a place?

Feel free to share / discuss

ReputationRep:
    I was invited to a school, I previously applied to in year 7 like in year 9.

ReputationRep:
    No I went to the same school from age 5 to 18

ReputationRep:
    I was invited to secondary school and uni. Declined secondary school though, but took up uni on the offer. Right decision on both.

ReputationRep:
    Universities do not do this - unless you have been on a widening participation scheme with that university, then they simply won't know that you exist until you send in your UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Universities do not do this - unless you have been on a widening participation scheme with that university, then they simply won't know that you exist until you send in your UCAS form.
    Incorrect. If you come from a reputable school / have made public achievements / have connections with faculty etc etc etc. Any of the above will contribute towards a university invitation. I never even signed up with UCAS, let alone made an application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Incorrect. If you come from a reputable school / have made public achievements / have connections with faculty etc etc etc. Any of the above will contribute towards a university invitation. I never even signed up with UCAS, let alone made an application.
    While someone from the university might say "this course would be good for you" or "you could do well at X" it's not a formal invitation. It's there to massage your ego in the hope that you'll apply via UCAS.

I am highly sceptical of the idea that any university would start doling out offers to prospective students outside the UCAS system (or Common App, for north American applicants at a few unis). Partly because it would be an administrative nightmare, and partly because UCAS is there to protect the uni as well as the student - otherwise you could theoretically "firm" ten different universities. Faculty (as in academics) are now rarely involved in admissions at all - it's mostly done by full time admissions staff.

Would you like to supply some more details of your situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    While someone from the university might say "this course would be good for you" or "you could do well at X" it's not a formal invitation. It's there to massage your ego in the hope that you'll apply via UCAS.

I am highly sceptical of the idea that any university would start doling out offers to prospective students outside the UCAS system (or Common App, for north American applicants at a few unis). Partly because it would be an administrative nightmare, and partly because UCAS is there to protect the uni as well as the student - otherwise you could theoretically "firm" ten different universities. Faculty (as in academics) are now rarely involved in admissions at all - it's mostly done by full time admissions staff.

Would you like to supply some more details of your situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha well in my case it certainly wasn't a "you could do well at X". I went on to an open day, was recognised by one of lecturers, I had a chat with the course leader about my work, and he said, if I remember his words correctly, "Usually it takes a few months for a student application to be processed, but we have an intake the day after tomorrow if you'd like to start straight away? We'd love to have you on board."

Sorry, but you did ask :P

Also a few years earlier, also went to have a look at an international school - Repton parter. They invited me to spend a day there, and at the end of it, offered to change their whole exam structure to fit what I was looking for. They did IB, I wanted A level, they said they were happy to put things in place to change their system by the time I joined, if I wanted to join.

ReputationRep:
    Well I once went to have an informal chat with one of my parent's colleges at the University and they said to me at the end that they really hoped I would apply to their department and if I went to their uni I would be able to help on postgrad research as an undergrad. Is that what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Haha well in my case it certainly wasn't a "you could do well at X". I went on to an open day, was recognised by one of lecturers, I had a chat with the course leader about my work, and he said, if I remember his words correctly, "Usually it takes a few months for a student application to be processed, but we have an intake the day after tomorrow if you'd like to start straight away? We'd love to have you on board."

Also a few years earlier, also went to have a look at an international school - Repton parter. They invited me to spend a day there, and at the end of it, offered to change their whole exam structure to fit what I was looking for. They did IB, I wanted A level, they said they were happy to put things in place to change their system by the time I joined, if I wanted to join.
    Wouldn't you be paying a lot of £££ in both these cases (might just come into it (not that I'm denying your potential for one minute!))? Also, what do you mean by 'recognised': remembered based on characteristics or noticed your potential? What did you say to them, 'I want to start as early as possible'? Some else? Nothing of the sort? Only because it's quite unusual to suggest to someone for something as big a moving abroad that they just begin the next day. It's actually a bit abrupt and seems to be ignoring a lot of practicalities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Wouldn't you be paying a lot of £££ in both these cases (might just come into it (not that I'm denying your potential for one minute!))? Also, what do you mean by 'recognised': remembered based on characteristics or noticed your potential? What did you say to them, 'I want to start as early as possible'? Some else? Nothing of the sort? Only because it's quite unusual to suggest to someone for something as big a moving abroad that they just begin the next day. It's actually a bit abrupt and seems to be ignoring a lot of practicalities!
    I already lived abroad, it was only 20 minutes down the road :P

Probably recognised me from a competition a few years earlier, I've done a few things around the area, couple of a paper articles etc.

And the secondary school offered full scholarship, not that I would have paid anything anyway. Father's company covered all my education costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Well I once went to have an informal chat with one of my parent's colleges at the University and they said to me at the end that they really hoped I would apply to their department and if I went to their uni I would be able to help on postgrad research as an undergrad. Is that what you mean?
    Nope they never asked me apply. I never made an application, I just enrolled there and then because it seemed like a good idea.

A2 Music Technology exam on Thursday, uni open day on Friday, BAP100 lecture on Sunday. So much for summer holidays :P

ReputationRep:
    Nope they never asked me apply. I never made an application, I just enrolled there and then because it seemed like a good idea.

A2 Music Technology exam on Thursday, uni open day on Friday, BAP100 lecture on Sunday. So much for summer holidays :P
    Oh right, cool, in which country was the institution?

In that anecdote I was talking about a UK univ where the person in question would have been hung, drawn, and quartered for just offering somebody a place. Mere academics don't usually have that happy little power! I guess what might come out of this is that practices vary a lot from place to place (even Oxbridge won't just offer someone a place - they might imply they'd get one - but the'll slip their application through instead).

I'm applying for univs in the UK this year. What about you? BAP100?

ReputationRep:

You clearly just made this thread to brag...But can I just point out that only ex-poly and similarly ranked universities offer Audio Production, ergo your university was probably crap. So it's nothing worth bragging about really, crap universities are desperate to get good students and they're known to give people unconditionals to persuade them to come. I'm not surprised if they personally invited you if you have been in competitions.

Come back when you get personally invited to study a real course at a prestigious university :lol: Sorry not sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    You clearly just made this thread to brag...But can I just point out that only ex-poly and similarly ranked universities offer Audio Production, ergo your university was probably crap. So it's nothing worth bragging about really, crap universities are desperate to get good students and they're known to give people unconditionals to persuade them to come. I'm not surprised if they personally invited you if you have been in competitions.

Come back when you get personally invited to study a real course at a prestigious university :lol: Sorry not sorry.
    I'm not bragging at all, and this thread is fairly old now, I haven't mentioned anything about my personal experiences until specifically asked. I greatly appreciate your kind words on "real" courses. Thank you for your comments, your feedback is important to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bragging at all, and this thread is fairly old now, I haven't mentioned anything about my personal experiences until specifically asked. I greatly appreciate your kind words on "real" courses. Thank you for your comments, your feedback is important to me.
    That's because you set the scenario up so that you had the chance to brag. People like you are too predictable...

ReputationRep:

To be blunt, I find your story rather hard to believe, assuming that this was a UK university (other countries may be different)

Firstly, academics are frequently a law unto themselves who believe that they do not need to follow processes which are in place for very good reasons. They do need to follow those policies, whether they like it or not, and this includes admissions. If they did say that to you, then if you'd tried to take them up on the offer, it's highly likely that someone from admissions would have been very unhappy about it, and likely would have reversed the decision, on the grounds that
    a) they had no proof of your qualifications / reference etc.
    b) if you're an international student, which you have hinted at, then you would need a Tier 4 visa - and there's no way you'd get that in 2 days

As for the school, policies will vary far more, but it would be highly unusual for a school to reorganise itself around one pupil, forcing teachers to learn a new curriculum and inevitably providing one-to-one lessons for that one student on the different curriculum. It's just not economically viable. In addition, there's no such school as 'Repton parter'. There's a Repton School, but they only offer A Levels, and it's not an international school as such (it has two branches in the Middle East, but these are separate, and neither are called 'Repton parter' or anything similar.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been invited to a school or uni, where the school has reached out to you to offer a place, rather than you reach out to them to apply for a place?

Feel free to share / discuss
    Got bought a car by one of my choices as a sweetner, they really wanted me to go there lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heineken)
    Got bought a car by one of my choices as a sweetner, they really wanted me to go there lol
    NICE

ReputationRep:
    To be blunt, I find your story rather hard to believe, assuming that this was a UK university (other countries may be different)

Firstly, academics are frequently a law unto themselves who believe that they do not need to follow processes which are in place for very good reasons. They do need to follow those policies, whether they like it or not, and this includes admissions. If they did say that to you, then if you'd tried to take them up on the offer, it's highly likely that someone from admissions would have been very unhappy about it, and likely would have reversed the decision, on the grounds that
    a) they had no proof of your qualifications / reference etc.
    b) if you're an international student, which you have hinted at, then you would need a Tier 4 visa - and there's no way you'd get that in 2 days

As for the school, policies will vary far more, but it would be highly unusual for a school to reorganise itself around one pupil, forcing teachers to learn a new curriculum and inevitably providing one-to-one lessons for that one student on the different curriculum. It's just not economically viable. In addition, there's no such school as 'Repton parter'. There's a Repton School, but they only offer A Levels, and it's not an international school as such (it has two branches in the Middle East, but these are separate, and neither are called 'Repton parter' or anything similar.
    I didn't say it was called "Repton Partner", I said it was partnered with Repton (or, as you say, a "branch"). I was living in Dubai at the time, as a British expat. I grew up there. The university was an associate of Middlesex, again, in Dubai on the middlesex campus there.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.