Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think I'm limiting myself too much if I took these A-levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    Spanish, French and English Language?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Impossible to answer without knowing more about you. It all depends what you want to do after your A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luciie)
    Spanish, French and English Language?
    Unless you're planning to do languages at uni, I'd swap either the Spanish or French for something else, perhaps a science or a social science.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Unless you're planning to do languages at uni, I'd swap either the Spanish or French for something else, perhaps a science or a social science.
    Poor advice. The OP should study subjects they enjoy and will do well in, even if that means three languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Poor advice. The OP should study subjects they enjoy and will do well in, even if that means three languages.
    If OP is unsure of what she wants to do at uni or doesn't want to study languages at uni, it's better to keep her options open by studying a variety of subjects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If OP is unsure of what she wants to do at uni or doesn't want to study languages at uni, it's better to keep her options open by studying a variety of subjects.
    Only if the OP enjoys those subjects. At the end of the day grades matter more than subjects, you're more likely to get a bad grade if you're studying something you hate.

ReputationRep:
    Only if the OP enjoys those subjects. At the end of the day grades matter more than subjects, you're more likely to get a bad grade if you're studying something you hate.
    I'm not suggesting she do something she hates. I don't know what she hates, she hasn't provided enough information. I have just given suggestions.
    Yes grades matter but she'd only be likely to receive an offer for a language if she studies 3 languages at A level. Young people change their minds all the time and it appears as if she is unsure about what she'll study at uni (which is perfectly normal) which is why studying a variety of subjects will be the better option for her. She could even start with 4 AS levels (2 being in the languages she wants) and 2 other, and then drop one before A2. That would also be a good option for her.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm not suggesting she do something she hates. I don't know what she hates, she hasn't provided enough information. I have just given suggestions.
    Yes grades matter but she'd only be likely to receive an offer for a language if she studies 3 languages at A level. Young people change their minds all the time and it appears as if she is unsure about what she'll study at uni (which is perfectly normal) which is why studying a variety of subjects will be the better option for her. She could even start with 4 AS levels (2 being in the languages she wants) and 2 other, and then drop one before A2. That would also be a good option for her.
    You didn't caveat your post by saying only if you enjoy these subjects, you just said they should do a science or social science. If the OP changes her mind and wants to study a totally different subject at university they have options, a foundation year for example.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and to make it less limiting you can do what cherry said and add perhaps a science or social science

ReputationRep:
    You didn't caveat your post by saying only if you enjoy these subjects, you just said they should do a science or social science. If the OP changes her mind and wants to study a totally different subject at university they have options, a foundation year for example.
    I said unless she wants to do languages at uni, I'd swap for something else, PERHAPS a science or social science. I didn't specify a specific subject she should swap for, I used the word perhaps because I don't know where her interests lie, or maybe she's unsure of the other subjects available to her.
    Like I said, if she were to do 3 languages at A level, she'd only be likely to receive an offer for a language and teenagers are notorious for changing their minds.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I said unless she wants to do languages at uni, I'd swap for something else, PERHAPS a science or social science. I didn't specify a specific subject she should swap for, I used the word perhaps because I don't know where her interests lie, or maybe she's unsure of the other subjects available to her.
    Like I said, if she were to do 3 languages at A level, she'd only be likely to receive an offer for a language and teenagers are notorious for changing their minds.
    You can do lots of degrees with three language-based A levels, you're not just limited to language degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask when did OP ever say they want to study languages in uni or that she enjoys the subjects or that she will do well in them or that she doesnt know what she wants to do in uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sandvika)
    Can I just ask when did OP ever say they want to study languages in uni or that she enjoys the subjects or that she will do well in them or that she doesnt know what she wants to do in uni?
    Plainly she enjoys the subjects or she wouldn't have made the thread. But like I said in my first post, the OP needs to give more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandvika)
    She didn't. If she does want to study languages then the subjects she's chosen are fine. If she is unsure then she should swap one or do an extra A level.

ReputationRep:
    You can do lots of degrees with three language-based A levels, you're not just limited to language degrees.
    Lots of degrees like what?
    You are limited. Many unis ask for specific A level subjects for particular courses.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lots of degrees like what?
    You are limited. Many unis ask for specific A level subjects for particular courses.
    Well it depends on the university, but the OP could study subjects like English, history, classics, anthropology, archaeology, education studies, law, politics, linguistics, philosophy, religious studies, history of art, planning/urban studies etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on the university, but the OP could study subjects like English, history, classics, anthropology, archaeology, education studies, law, politics, linguistics, philosophy, religious studies, history of art, planning/urban studies etc etc etc.
    I don't think law would be keen on AS levels confined to languages. Advice I was given in 4th year was to keep a social science at higher level and also to take maths or a pure science that's why I did biology and modern studies at those levels and taking MS at AH level. You sound like your'e arguing just for the sake of it when the others have given what sounds like pretty sensible advice.

ReputationRep:
    Still limited, these are pretty much all humanities. In addition, linguistics&classics are basically the study of language & English is included is one of the subjects she wants to do. History at a good uni will require A level history.
    For competitive courses, universities will look for students studying A level subjects that are similar to the uni course they've applied for.
    What if OP decides she wants to go into healthcare? Or a science? Or a social science?

In the title of the thread, she even asks if she's limiting herself. You're essentially saying 'no but you can only study a limited number of humanities courses at uni'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I don't think law would be keen on AS levels confined to languages. Advice I was given in 4th year was to keep a social science at higher level and also to take maths or a pure science that's why I did biology and modern studies at those levels and taking MS at AH level. You sound like your'e arguing just for the sake of it when the others have given what sounds like pretty sensible advice.
    Not going to debate this, it is possible to study law with three language-based A levels, that is a fact, regardless of what your teachers told you. I know people who've done exactly this at top universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I'm beginning to think this too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.