Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fired during probationary period - would people be able to tell? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If I were to apply for a new job, would the potential employer know that I've been fired from somewhere else?

(Original post by JubilationXXV)
    If I were to apply for a new job, would the potential employer know that I've been fired from somewhere else?
    Only if you
    a) put the employer that fired you down as a reference
    b) put the job on your CV and they asked about it
    c) were unable to explain away the gap on your CV, if you didn't put the job on your CV

Essentially, the longer you were in that job, the harder it is to obscure.

It's also worth thinking about why you were fired. I was once fired from a restaurant after 4 shifts, not because I had done anything wrong, but because I dared to point out that they were breaking minimum wage laws in about 8 different ways (which was spectacular, frankly) - we later settled out of court for the missing wages, and it hasn't affected my career - I'm now a graduate in a good job.

ReputationRep:
    what the other poster said, if possible it's probably easier to leave it off applications... of course if you left another job for that one or it was 6 months down the line that might not look good either, then it would be a case of what looks worse on your CV

why were you fired?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.