Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My offers are-
    Bristol: AAB
    Sussex: Unconditional (only if firmed)

I like both cities the same really, I could see myself having a great time in either.

I prefer the accommodation at Sussex although that is only 1st year. I also like how it's an hour away from London. I slightly prefer Sussex's course content too (I'm interested in cognitive neuroscience - it's listed as a 3rd year option for Sussex but not Bristol) although it's not a game changer.

I keep going back and forth; I've talked to all my teachers and whatnot and it's essentially ended up 50/50.

I'm predicted A*A*A (psychology english biology) although I genuinely don't think I'll get an A in biology. I need around a mid C at A2 level to get a B in biology overall and whilst everybody keeps telling me I'll get the grades if I want to get into Bristol, I've always been a very skeptical person.

Whether it's right or not, I read a lot into league tables and whatnot and that's actually how I found Bristol which has a massive reputation. What concerns me a little (should it?) is that in 2013 Sussex was considered a top 10 University for Psychology and in 3 years it's dropped to about 25th.

If I were to firm Bristol, I have no idea if I perform better or worse under pressure. The only time I've felt significantly pressured was my first ever driving test which I messed up. And to be honest, I feel really really burnt out with education. I've put so much effort and desire into the past few years, I try to replicate it this year but I lack so much motivation and the unconditional from Sussex would lift such a colossal weight off my shoulders.

I guess the main points are this:
    -On a good day, I could probably get the grades for Bristol. But I'm pessimistic- one bad Biology exam and I'm off to some insurance that I don't care about.

-I don't want one day, for me to lose out on a great job to somebody who's exactly the same as me, the only difference being that I graduated from Sussex and they graduated from Bristol - is it possible this could/would happen?

-Lastly, if I firmed Sussex and achieved AAB I'd probably regret not firming Bristol. But if I firmed Bristol and slipped up, I'd feel tenfold more regret. (I know that in some situations Unis may accept one or two grades below, but that's a risk because AAB in the first place is a really generous offer from Bristol).

Sorry if this is all fragmented and not easy to read, it's 2 AM and I'm just pouring everything out. Help.

Hey! I stumbled upon your thread and I'm in exactly the same situation although, I haven't actually received an offer from Bristol but thinking about applying through clearing. So I just wondered what you ended up doing? Good luck with everything!
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.