Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

first ever crash watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Quite a boring thread but basically,

I had a crash the other day which will be recorded as my fault. It was 50/50 but I can accept why it goes down as my fault, no complaints from me. I am naive when it comes to "the process" from here though.

Since this has happened my eyes have been opened to how insurance works & how complicated it is.

One garage quoted me £400 for repairs, one quoted me £1500+, (my car is worth about 2k)

So i'm taking it to a garage recommended by the insurance company.

My question to anything kind enough to answer, is there anything I need to know? Any tips about the process from here
    for example I know insurance companies try to write off cars that aren't badly damaged.
    Some specific questions in my mind
    I've never been in any trouble in my life so worried (probably too worried) about how this come back to bite me.
    How will this effect my insurance in the future? Could the not at fault driver try to get money off me through a private process? Is it likely I can transfer my old insurance to a new car if it is a "write off"? How quick will the process be if it is a write off? Could the claim hold me back in any future careers, e.g a job that involves driving? Will garages approved by insurances companies but more ruthless in terms of costs & writing the car off?

I realise the questions I have are probably stupid but I want to be as prepared as possible for the "process" of claiming.

ReputationRep:
    If it is 50/50 you can dispute liability, though if you know it will go down as 50/50 as a minimum I don't see much point as your insurance will go up either way. If the other driver was an arse you could but it would most likely involve going through the small claims court, which will a day of your life you won't get back...

If the claim goes through insurance the other driver cannot get money out of you "privately" as this is what the insurance is for. I have never had a car written off but if there is no dispute of liability it shouldn't take too long to settle, assuming the other driver doesn't make outrageous claims of personal injury that your own insurance company will want to fight.

It isn't in the best interest of any garage to overcharge by an amount that would encourage the insurance company to write the car off. If the car is written off, the garage won't be paid for to fix it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djj)
    Quite a boring thread but basically,

I had a crash the other day which will be recorded as my fault. It was 50/50 but I can accept why it goes down as my fault, no complaints from me. I am naive when it comes to "the process" from here though.

Since this has happened my eyes have been opened to how insurance works & how complicated it is.

One garage quoted me £400 for repairs, one quoted me £1500+, (my car is worth about 2k)

So i'm taking it to a garage recommended by the insurance company.

My question to anything kind enough to answer, is there anything I need to know? Any tips about the process from here
    for example I know insurance companies try to write off cars that aren't badly damaged.
    Some specific questions in my mind
    I've never been in any trouble in my life so worried (probably too worried) about how this come back to bite me.
    How will this effect my insurance in the future? Could the not at fault driver try to get money off me through a private process? Is it likely I can transfer my old insurance to a new car if it is a "write off"? How quick will the process be if it is a write off? Could the claim hold me back in any future careers, e.g a job that involves driving? Will garages approved by insurances companies but more ruthless in terms of costs & writing the car off?

I realise the questions I have are probably stupid but I want to be as prepared as possible for the "process" of claiming.
    Would you mind me asking why although it was 50/50 you'll accept fault? What exactly happened - if you don't want to answer, fair enough!

I know insurers tend to call it a write of if the cost of repair exceeds the min value of the car. (So if they estimate your car at 2,grand, 1,500 would be too high probably) Note also, insurers value of the car is not what you pay for it andi it is always lower.

My micra is worth 250 to my insurer! I bought it for 400!

You could of private if both parties agreed, this means you won't have to lose your no claims bonus, however, the other driver can charge as much as he/she wants.

If a car is write off it becomes a category C or D, not sure which one. And you have to take it in for a sort of MOT test to see if after repairs it is road worthy. Driving a C or D is never good for insurance costs. If you want to get the car repaired yourself, (as insurance won't as write off) then its best to speak to someone about how to verify a write off as road worthy as there is a process.

I can't imagine it'll do much other than raise the cost of insurance. Unless you want to be insured on a company car. Then you might be too costly for them to insure you on it. It's not a crime to admit fault in a car accident, agree to pay out the costs and deal with your insurer. It would be a crime to hit and run, uninsured. So don't worry about how it affects your future career prospects. Everyone has bumps every now and again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    Would you mind me asking why although it was 50/50 you'll accept fault? What exactly happened - if you don't want to answer, fair enough!

I know insurers tend to call it a write of if the cost of repair exceeds the min value of the car. (So if they estimate your car at 2,grand, 1,500 would be too high probably) Note also, insurers value of the car is not what you pay for it andi it is always lower.

My micra is worth 250 to my insurer! I bought it for 400!

You could of private if both parties agreed, this means you won't have to lose your no claims bonus, however, the other driver can charge as much as he/she wants.

If a car is write off it becomes a category C or D, not sure which one. And you have to take it in for a sort of MOT test to see if after repairs it is road worthy. Driving a C or D is never good for insurance costs. If you want to get the car repaired yourself, (as insurance won't as write off) then its best to speak to someone about how to verify a write off as road worthy as there is a process.

I can't imagine it'll do much other than raise the cost of insurance. Unless you want to be insured on a company car. Then you might be too costly for them to insure you on it. It's not a crime to admit fault in a car accident, agree to pay out the costs and deal with your insurer. It would be a crime to hit and run, uninsured. So don't worry about how it affects your future career prospects. Everyone has bumps every now and again.
    cheers both. Long story short it's the old story of I was the car behind so on in theory it's my fault, should have kept more distance. I have always seen car bumps has "something that happens" but now it's happened to me i'm surprised how "serious" it's got. It terms of the fact it was only bump yet damage could exceed 3k.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.