Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All undergraduate electrical engineering students must read this! Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I hope you are reading this and will be helpful for me and other students here.
    I want to write a research paper and publish it to make my resume look better. Can you please tell me any topics or a little guidance would be very helpful.
    I am a hardworking person and I will make sure that my I complete the paper within 3 months.
    Please guide me as my university faculty is not very professional and they haven't helped me in topic selection.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a member of IET or IEEE?
    You could try looking for topics of research in journals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Are you a member of IET or IEEE?
    You could try looking for topics of research in journals?
    well if u can direct me to some direction please it would be great. any journal name or any link would be great for me to go.keep in mind I am in undergraduate so

ReputationRep:
    If you don't even know what relevant journals to look in to identify potential research topics, you won't have something of publishable quality ready in 3 months, regardless of how hard working you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan321)
    well if u can direct me to some direction please it would be great. any journal name or any link would be great for me to go.keep in mind I am in undergraduate so
    I'm an undergraduate EEE student too
    Here's a few links of some Electrical Engineering journals to get you started, have a look at some articles and choose a topic you find interesting. Hope that helped
    http://www.jee.ro/archive.php
    http://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/202
    http://www.ieejournal.com/internatio...-journal-ieej/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If you don't even know what relevant journals to look in to identify potential research topics, you won't have something of publishable quality ready in 3 months, regardless of how hard working you are.
    Discouraging anyone is not a good thing my friend. I have an idea and interest in learning about peizo electric materials. (sorry for spelling)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    I'm an undergraduate EEE student too
    Here's a few links of some Electrical Engineering journals to get you started, have a look at some articles and choose a topic you find interesting. Hope that helped
    http://www.jee.ro/archive.php
    http://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/202
    http://www.ieejournal.com/internatio...-journal-ieej/
    Thank you for the kind reply. Are you working on any paper right now?

ReputationRep:
    Discouraging anyone is not a good thing my friend. I have an idea and interest in learning about peizo electric materials. (sorry for spelling)
    By all means do it. I'm not so much discouraging as trying to be realistic. Few undergraduates are fully conversant with their subject and know how to write something of publishable quality. You've said elsewhere you've got low marks. I would assume improving them would take priority.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the kind reply. Are you working on any paper right now?
    Not at the moment no, just focusing on the course

ReputationRep:
    It is extremely unusual for undergraduates to publish a research paper. You need to do lots of actual research first. To begin with I would say you need to read at least 50 papers around the topic you want to publish in to get a feel for the current state-of-the-art and how the field has changed over time, as well as what potential opportunities may exist for your research paper.

Then you need to carry out new experiments or derive new theory, and you need to be 100% certain of your results. It needs to advance what is already out there and be of use and interest to other researchers.

After this you can try to write and publish a paper, but in due respect few undergraduates have professional level writing skills. These are skills developed during your undergraduate years and not something you typically have when beginning a degree. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't try to pursue this path. It would be better to focus on your degree instead and get great marks and perhaps engage in the research community in other ways, such as by hosting events or helping out lower years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    It is extremely unusual for undergraduates to publish a research paper. You need to do lots of actual research first. To begin with I would say you need to read at least 50 papers around the topic you want to publish in to get a feel for the current state-of-the-art and how the field has changed over time, as well as what potential opportunities may exist for your research paper.

Then you need to carry out new experiments or derive new theory, and you need to be 100% certain of your results. It needs to advance what is already out there and be of use and interest to other researchers.

After this you can try to write and publish a paper, but in due respect few undergraduates have professional level writing skills. These are skills developed during your undergraduate years and not something you typically have when beginning a degree. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't try to pursue this path. It would be better to focus on your degree instead and get great marks and perhaps engage in the research community in other ways, such as by hosting events or helping out lower years.
    THank you for the detailed reply but I am in my last semester and I want to atleast start working on something so that I might get an advantage for Masters admission.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in last semester I would focus on getting your marks high rather than doing a research paper at the moment.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    THank you for the detailed reply but I am in my last semester and I want to atleast start working on something so that I might get an advantage for Masters admission.
    You're likely to have more luck with one of these rather than a standard academic journal.
    http://www.bcur.org/research/undergraduate-journals/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You're likely to have more luck with one of these rather than a standard academic journal.
    http://www.bcur.org/research/undergraduate-journals/
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    With a 2.1 or above you shouldn't have too much trouble getting on a Master's degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    With a 2.1 or above you shouldn't have too much trouble getting on a Master's degree.
    oh cool but u know masters education is very tough and expensive so if i have some scholarship then it will make life easier for me perhaps. I have inboxed you as well right now. You are very helpful. Thank you a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.