Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bashar al-Assad: remember me as the man who saved Syria

President Bashar al-Assad says he wants to be remembered 10 years from now as the person who saved Syria, according to an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais.

Assad, whose fate has been a key sticking point in efforts to end Syria’s bloody civil war as it enters its sixth year, left open the question of whether he would still be president by then.

He said he was ready to implement a long-sought ceasefire, but only if the rebels and their international backers such as Turkey did not use it as a chance to gain ground.

“In 10 years, if I can save Syria as president – but that doesn’t mean I’m still going to be president in 10 years, I’m just talking about my vision of the 10 years,” he said in an interview published on the newspaper’s website.

“If Syria is safe and sound, and I’m the one who saved his country – that’s my job now, that’s my duty.

“If the Syrian people want me to be in power, I will be. If they don’t want me, I can do nothing, I mean, I cannot help my country, so I have to leave right away.”

World powers have been pushing for a cessation of hostilities in Syria to pave the way for renewed peace negotiations, but the truce has faltered as fighting on the ground has intensified.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ho-saved-syria

ReputationRep:
    He could have saved Syria by not having his forces respond to largely peaceful protesters with live bullets in 2011, and the uprising could have been resolved peacefully and there likely wouldn't have been a civil war. But it's a bit too late for that.

ReputationRep:
    Get this cancerous statement off my screen, Assad is worse than ISIS and is the source of this mass immigration. He is a murderer, he has committed war crimes, he is the cause of this perpetual warfare in Syria.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.