Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hola a todos (sorry for my obsession with Spanish).

My name is Younes, I'm Moroccan (as you can tell from my username (if you speak French that is (or if even you took French at GCSE )))

and I'm a first year A-level student studying:

Maths - Statistics - Edexcel
    Chemistry - AQA
    Biology - OCR
    Spanish - AQA

My goal, of course, is to achieve 4 A's in all of these subjects and I plan to carry them all into the second year of A-levels.

I'm hoping to studyMedicine and would love to go to either of these universities:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cardiff:

I love the idea of moving out of London and to a more quieter and smaller city. The city life is there as well as greenery and a beach! They also provide a year long Erasmus programmes for medics - not many universities do this! Obviously, I'll be going to Spain. (Or any other Spanish speaking country)

Manchester: Even better than an Erasmus programme, Manchester have a option for Medics to do a degree in Medicine with European studies where you develop your language speaking skills but the focus is put on medical terminology and developing communication in a clinical setting. This progresses into a 4 month trip to work in a hospital to use your skills!

Newcastle and Birmingham are both on my list because of the incredible student life they provide and for all other obvious reasons.

Of course, applying to Medicine is not just about grades, so, I will be also updating you guys on things I do that will help me when applying University such as work experience, volunteering and extra curricular activities (not much of those)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm currently volunteering at a care home, where I have been doing so since July last year. I mainly help feeding the residents in the morning and occasionally help with organising events for them and their families etc. But that's about it, really. I definitely need to do more volunteering.I've a weeks work experience placement in the A&E and Cardiology department (1 week each) and also a 2 week placement in a general practice. Again, more is needed here.

My GCSEs':
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology A*
    Spanish A*
    Maths A*
    Chemistry A*
    French A*
    Economics A*
    Physics A*
    History A*
    English Lit A*
    Photography B
    English Lang A*
    RE A (lol)

My main methods of revising (basic af)

Flashcards using quizlet

Using my whiteboard to write/draw concepts to remember ( I hardly make notes on paper anymore - they waste A LOT of time for me.

Exam questions although I haven't done any exam questions throughout the year except for the ones set for homework....pretty bad I know - I need to start those as soon as possible.
    I love Exam Solution videos for maths - will always use them.

Using Yabla ( A Spanish video website) and my cousin to improve my Spanish speaking and listening skills.

VAMONOS !

Feel free to ask any questions...I like questions,also if you have any advice please reply!

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE 1:

The plan today, being the last day of the term break, is to do my homework. Before I do that though, I need to catch up on all the content covered the week before this as I was on a work experience placement. Fun times.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck pal!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry chat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    Good luck pal!
    Thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Chemistry chat?
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marocain)
    Huh?
    Why aren't you in the chat anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Why aren't you in the chat anymore

Wait, which chat? The one that had Dylan in it or the St Doms one? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marocain)
    Wait, which chat? The one that had Dylan in it or the St Doms one? I'm confused.
    the main chem chat

ReputationRep:
    Update 2:

I've been making flashcards for a long time as part of my revision but today I tweaked my method a little bit.
    Before, I used to just copy out the information onto both sides. However, now, to make that time more useful, I am writing questions on one side of the card without writing the answer to it immediately after. After I have written out all the questions (that when answered, will give me all the information I need to know for that subtopic) I start answering the questions from memory.

Here is an example:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 53
Size:  70.5 KB

I'm also thinking about even postponing the time I answer the questions - perhaps do a small task in between writing the question and answering them. This way, I am forcing my brain to really think about the answer which will make it a lot easier to remember in the future. It's science, believe me.

Attachment 506763506767

I think it's an effective and good method. I'll see how it goes and update you guys.
    Attached Images

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.