Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    The amount of money in football is not disproportionate to the few players with the skill to play it, and the dedication to commit their entire life, as well as their physical and mental health, to their work.
    There are so many people who do this and don't get paid in monopoly money. And they actually make big differences in peoples lives.

Surely also, it is better for people to focus attention on football, rather than the more 'important' things in the world, because it has less meaning.
    It is entertainment, and allows people to focus on something different to the troubles of the world, and to stop them being as stressed by them
    I agree it's entertaining and can provide a focus for people who don't have much else to focus on, it just seems a bit tactless when people get so het up over it.

But the unity football creates in the nation, and the sort of spirit it creates, bringing people from all countries (who qualify) together... surely there is little more important than this while the world is constantly focused on division and hatred...
    Yes - the unity in the nation is good to some extent, but it often becomes very exclusive of those who perhaps aren't so interested. And as for bringing people together, aren't supporters of different teams separated to prevent abuse + violence (I am actually asking, for some reason I am under the impression that they are - but I don't know for sure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    There are so many people who do this and don't get paid in monopoly money. And they actually make big differences in peoples lives.
    I know what you mean, but the lack of money in some places does not mean that alot of it in others is incorrect. And you can train to be a teacher, doctor etc., but you have to have skill for football, and thats alot rarer than training.

(Original post by Amb1)
    I agree it's entertaining and can provide a focus for people who don't have much else to focus on, it just seems a bit tactless when people get so het up over it.
    Yes, but thats the entire point. It is a big deal to people because it is something they can understand. I think that most people don't care too much about all this political and international conflict thats going on. It isn't appliccable to their lives, while they can be involved in a football match.

(Original post by Amb1)
    Yes - the unity in the nation is good to some extent, but it often becomes very exclusive of those who perhaps aren't so interested. And as for bringing people together, aren't supporters of different teams separated to prevent abuse + violence (I am actually asking, for some reason I am under the impression that they are - but I don't know for sure)
    Sometimes there is violence, but genuine fan's certainly have none of it.
    There has been a great spirit in portugal between the actual fans, and there have been no need to keep most of them apart from my knowledge.
    There are always exceptions, but there are exceptions with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    have you seen one?
    komodo dragons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    komodo dragons?
    aha! yay!!! :-D

katie's wrong! lalala

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    komodo dragons?
    That isn't a dragon as such.
    At least, i had a debate with someone about it, and that was the conclusion.

Real dragons look alot cooler!

ReputationRep:
    I hate football! Wanting to join in the rant.
    It gets to the point some days where I think "if I see one more england flag flying from a car..."
    Just hurry up and lose so I can continue not caring about kicking a bucky ball back and forth across a field of mud and grass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowStorm)
    I hate football! Wanting to join in the rant.
    It gets to the point some days where I think "if I see one more england flag flying from a car..."
    Just hurry up and lose so I can continue not caring about kicking a bucky ball back and forth across a field of mud and grass.
    England are going to win the tournament, so you'll have a while to wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    (Original post by Fly By)
    FOOTBALL ROCKS!
    I think you will find you are in the wrong thread ;]

it could have been: footbal. rocks. lets throw rocks at football.

Which would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Yea in addition to stressing how gay the sport is,

I hate the way people take it so seriously. In Europe, it seems to be the one sport where you rarely can play a game with mates without someone taking it a little too seriously and maybe someone losing their temper.
    It's so extreme that I sometimes avoid playing games with some of my mates, as I've never been into football ever since I left primary school, and so I'm a bit crap so my idea of fun isn't getting angry with someone.
    Never had that problem with basketball, rugby, volleyball or whatever sport even if I've played with some really crap players.

However, just a little game for laughs is fun but too often it'll become too serious.

To be honest, football is fine but why take it so seriously. Half of professional players look totally gay and it certainly isn't a very masculine sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Yea in addition to stressing how gay the sport is,

I hate the way people take it so seriously. In Europe, it seems to be the one sport where you rarely can play a game with mates without someone taking it a little too seriously and maybe someone losing their temper.
    It's so extreme that I sometimes avoid playing games with some of my mates, as I've never been into football ever since I left primary school, and so I'm a bit crap so my idea of fun isn't getting angry with someone.
    Never had that problem with basketball, rugby, volleyball or whatever sport even if I've played with some really crap players.

However, just a little game for laughs is fun but too often it'll become too serious.

To be honest, football is fine but why take it so seriously. Half of professional players look totally gay and it certainly isn't a very masculine sport.
    Football has changed from the day's when Vinny Jones broke at least two opponents legs per game.
    It is more stylish now, more skillful, and the players appearence matches its current image.
    And even if they are gay, whats the big deal?
    Does it mean they are any less capable? No...
    Maybe you just know the wrong sort of people, because i've never been in an informal match that got too serious, or that anyone really gave a damn about.

ReputationRep:
    Football has changed from the day's when Vinny Jones broke at least two opponents legs per game.
    It is more stylish now, more skillful, and the players appearence matches its current image.
    Maybe you just know the wrong sort of people, because i've never been in an informal match that got too serious, or that anyone really gave a damn about.
    Maybe what you call an informal match that doesn't become serious isn't what I'd call a fun match.
    Luckily not everyone takes it too seriously
    But if there's one sport where things often get a bit too serious, it's football.
    On some occasions, I've played with friends and I or another crap player got crap from teammates. It's childish because I'd thrash most of the other players at another sport but wouldn't piss them off about the fact that they're not good if I was playing with them.
    What I mean is that in some informal matches, some people start worrying about showing off their skills and winning and start ego-tripping. But that's sport. It's just that in football matches, that happens more often.

ReputationRep:
    The gayness isn't an issue. But it seems incoherent for heterosexual guys who like to show off to use it as a means of boosting their ego.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I hate the intollerance of football fans towards people who aren't bothered
    The fact that quite a few hardcore footie fans keep posting about how great football is and how disillusioned non-fans are on this thread kind of demonstrates my point. Go and post on one of the 5 existing football threads on the first page of general chat and leave those who aren't bothered be.

Hey, just noticed smilies are back!!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe what you call an informal match that doesn't become serious isn't what I'd call a fun match.
    Luckily not everyone takes it too seriously
    But if there's one sport where things often get a bit too serious, it's football.
    On some occasions, I've played with friends and I or another crap player got crap from teammates. It's childish because I'd thrash most of the other players at another sport but wouldn't piss them off about the fact that they're not good if I was playing with them.
    What I mean is that in some informal matches, some people start worrying about showing off their skills and winning and start ego-tripping. But that's sport. It's just that in football matches, that happens more often.
    Really? I've found cricket, baseball, rugby and basketball more taken seriously than football.
    Everyone knows people are good at different things in football, or not at all, but in other sports they always expect you to be able to do anything...

ReputationRep:
    The gayness isn't an issue. But it seems incoherent for heterosexual guys who like to show off to use it as a means of boosting their ego.
    Then why raise it?
    So you can't show of playing football if your heterosexual?

ReputationRep:
    All this supporting England in the football is totally un politically correct (not that I don't)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zinnie)
    All this supporting England in the football is totally un politically correct (not that I don't)
    So having a sense of pride in your countries achievements is not PC????
    Is supporting a club PC?
    Is supporting anything ever PC?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was just taking the piss of of PCness.
    I want to watch the footie tonight but unfortunately I have to be in a concert where I am playing in 'wild wild drums' which is going to make me look like I am in year 1 again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zinnie)
    I was just taking the piss of of PCness.
    I want to watch the footie tonight but unfortunately I have to be in a concert where I am playing in 'wild wild drums' which is going to make me look like I am in year 1 again.
    Oh, right.
    Yeah, it is totally stupid...
    Theres something more important than the england match???

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind football and i obviously want england to do well...... although i am going out tonight rather than watching it :rolleyes:
    xx

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.