Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received offers from St George's and UCL for medicine, and I'm not sure which one to pick.

I like both courses, and both universities.

UCL has a better student life, is more central and from what I've heard, has a better reputation. However, I'd have to take a gap year (due to minimum age requirements), and complete my EPQ, which I've recently decided not to continue with due to time constraints.

I really like St George's, it's all healthcare and everyone seems really friendly, and I don't have to take a gap year or do my EPQ. I am worried about the student life and reputation though.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on if you like the idea of a gap year and how much you like UCL.

Personally though, I would pick St Georges because reputation doesn't really matter unless you want to work overseas, then it might make a difference. You also graduate a year earlier so you can start repaying your possible loans earlier and the area around St Georges is cheaper than central London too if money is a factor for you.

Anyways you can do a lot during your gap year too like travelling around the world or working part time so ultimately I'd say both choices aren't too bad and follow your heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFire17)
    I've received offers from St George's and UCL for medicine, and I'm not sure which one to pick.

UCL has a better student life, is more central and from what I've heard, has a better reputation. However, I'd have to take a gap year (due to minimum age requirements), and complete my EPQ, which I've recently decided not to continue with due to time constraints.

I really like St George's, it's all healthcare and everyone seems really friendly, and I don't have to take a gap year or do my EPQ. I am worried about the student life and reputation though.

Any advice?
    Reputation doesn't matter for any medical university.
    I would personally choose UCL because I've done a lot of extra curricular activities there during year 11 and year 12 so I have a really good experience of what the uni life is about.
    However, in terms of moving out and saving money, I would pick st George's because it's the cheaper option.
    Is the learning the same style? I know that UCL do traditional/integrated, what about st George's? Do you have a preference?
    Why not speak to other medical students about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're talking about a deferred gap year?

If so, then definietly take the gap year!

ReputationRep:
    I have worked at both medical schools and they are both fantastic choices, so well done on the two offers. You will likely enjoy whichever you choose.

As the others said, reputation doesn't really matter. Even if you wanted to work outside of the UK, your degree is going to be from the "University of London" (not SGUL or UCL) anyway...

If you don't have strong feelings about one course or the other, I would base my decision on whether or not I wanted to take a gap year. Many doctors feel that they are on a one-way conveyor belt from first year medical student to GP/consultant and this could be a great opportunity to do something different before you resume studying. Why not do some research into gap year activities and see how enthusiastic you get about them? There are opportunities to step off the production line at various points once you are qualified but now is as good a time as any.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    When was your UCL interview?

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    Take a gap year! You've got your EPQ which will keep you in touch with academics but other than that you have a year to do what you want. As you will already have a place you don't need to spend it doing anything medical, although of course you're welcome to if that's what you want. You'll gain a lot of experience which will be useful to medicine whatever you do - I'm in my first year having come straight from school and those who have taken gap years seem a lot more 'world-wise'.
    Once you start medicine at either Georges or UCL you won't get a similar opportunity later on.

ReputationRep:
    not gonna sugar-coat it, UCL hands down. That's for me, of course.

There's plenty you could do in a gap year, plus the UCL area really is a lot nicer and is, in my opinion, a much better school.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    I'd take SGUL. Reputation isn't that important in fact for FYs it may even be easier coming from a school that is less competitive. The differences are all so minimal anyways. Unless you want to take a gap year there isn't any point in forcing yourself into one and essentially missing out on a year of income.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

congratulations for your achievements!

I am in the same boat like you regarding age requirements and I will apply for 2017 entry If you don't mind me asking, did you mention in your personal statement you apply for deferred entry because of the age or how did you proceed? Please help me to find the best way and maximize my chances. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_queen)
    congratulations for your achievements!

I am in the same boat like you regarding age requirements and I will apply for 2017 entry If you don't mind me asking, did you mention in your personal statement you apply for deferred entry because of the age or how did you proceed? Please help me to find the best way and maximize my chances. Thank you!
    Yes, it was quite complicated for me as only 1/2 the med schools needed me to take a gap year, so I put something like 'if a gap year is required to meet minimum entry requirements, blah blah blah'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.