Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm 18 and currently looking to open my first current account in order to transfer some of my savings as well as apply for student finance. The only problem is I'm still living at home and my parents pay all the bills eg utility, council tax etc.

    I've been trying to open an account with Virgin Money for a couple of weeks now and to be honest it's got absolutely nowhere and I've been messed around so much. I told them that I had no proof of address and only a passport and they told me I could have managers discretion, only to get a letter 2 days later saying I needed more ID. So I went in the branch, told them (as I had said before and they told me was fine) I didn't have the ID and then they said they couldn't open my account full stop. They then said that if I had say, a provisional licence, I could open the account.

    So I paid £30 for a licence I didn't even want or need yet, waited, and went back into the branch where I was told because it wasn't on the proof of address list (the bank statement, utility bill, council tax list) I couldn't use it. Obviously, I was fuming, because this was the THIRD time I told them I didn't have anything from that list. Anyway they took a photocopy of the letter I got from their head office saying I could use the licence but because of how they've treated me and lied to me about what I could use I'm not hopeful and they'll probably make some other excuse about why I can't open my account.

    I was wondering, has anyone in the same situation got their first bank account that accepts a passport and provisional licence as acceptable ID? Thank you, as I really need to open an account as soon as possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Are you on the electoral roll? They should be able to check that instead of you providing proof.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.