The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths and physics?

can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

Scroll to see replies

yes, in fact it makes you look like less of a loser if you have other interests. what are your other subjects btw?
Look at what unis ask for on their own subject page.
Reply 3
Definitely without Physics, but many top unis have Further Maths as an entry requirement so that might be an issue :/
Reply 4
Original post by ameenatariq

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Last_Melon
yes, in fact it makes you look like less of a loser if you have other interests. what are your other subjects btw?

I'm planning to pick chemistry and biology, any suggestions?
Original post by Vikingninja
Look at what unis ask for on their own subject page.

Yeah I have but I wanted more opinions
Original post by Alexion
Definitely without Physics, but many top unis have Further Maths as an entry requirement so that might be an issue :/

Yeah I know but Queen Mary doesn't
Reply 8

Yes. Though not without FM at some universities. And to be honest physics is probably the number one preference after the Maths A levels or maybe AQA's Statistics A level.

Remember all so called requirements can be waived if a department wants you but the less you conform to their idealised applicant the more you'll have to convince them.

I know of someone who did Mathematics degree and PhD without having a single GCSE or A level and they were a British resident. Left school at 16 and worked at a bookies office. But their written personal statement and interview was phenomenal and they got two S grades on STEP.

Physics is not necessary.

Further maths may be necessary (or preferred) by a lot of top universities, and you would probably need to learn some of the content before you start the course, but it is not entirely impossible to do a maths degree without further maths.

To answer your question in short, yes.
Original post by pvaz6965
Yes. Though not without FM at some universities. And to be honest physics is probably the number one preference after the Maths A levels or maybe AQA's Statistics A level.

Remember all so called requirements can be waived if a department wants you but the less you conform to their idealised applicant the more you'll have to convince them.

I know of someone who did Mathematics degree and PhD without having a single GCSE or A level and they were a British resident. Left school at 16 and worked at a bookies office. But their written personal statement and interview was phenomenal and they got two S grades on STEP.

yeah but Queen Mary University only requires Maths to do a maths degree and no STEP exam (don't even know what that is) so?
Original post by kingaaran
Physics is not necessary.

Further maths may be necessary (or preferred) by a lot of top universities, and you would probably need to learn some of the content before you start the course, but it is not entirely impossible to do a maths degree without further maths.

To answer your question in short, yes.

okay thank you.
yeah but Queen Mary University only requires Maths to do a maths degree and no STEP exam (don't even know what that is) so?

I think what he was trying to say is: it depends on what university you want to go to.

If you want to go to a top university, then it is probably likely that they would prefer further maths.

There are 3 STEP exams run by Cambridge that are used by some universities as part of their offers, such as Cambridge and Warwick. They are admissions test.
Reply 13

Probably at lower down unis like Southampton, Manchester etc.

Yes that is true. But you are at a disadvantage not doing FM. Say you and another applicant are the choices for the final place on offer - and things are pretty close between you two otherwise - FM will weigh in the other applicants favour to quite a degree I'm afraid.

Also when you get to university FM will give you a head start compared to those who didn't do it. There is a feeling that people who choose FM tend be better on average at maths (well not a feeling, it's a fact to be honest) and that they obviously like the subject more. I say on average not for each individual case. But that does prejudice the system in favour of people who do FM.

I can't believe you haven't heard of STEP but it is examinations Cambridge, Warwick and a couple of others ask the applicants to do. Oxford and Imperial do another exam.
Original post by pvaz6965
Yes that is true. But you are at a disadvantage not doing FM. Say you and another applicant are the choices for the final place on offer - and things are pretty close between you two otherwise - FM will weigh in the other applicants favour to quite a degree I'm afraid.

Also when you get to university FM will give you a head start compared to those who didn't do it. There is a feeling that people who choose FM tend be better on average at maths (well not a feeling, it's a fact to be honest) and that they obviously like the subject more. I say on average not for each individual case. But that does prejudice the system in favour of people who do FM.

I can't believe you haven't heard of STEP but it is examinations Cambridge, Warwick and a couple of others ask the applicants to do. Oxford and Imperial do another exam.

I understand what you are saying, but yeah but im not planning to go to the top 5 university's, and on queen mary's website it says an A in a level maths and that's it.
Of course i haven't heard of the STEP exams im only doing GCSE's picking my A levels.
Yup, no physics required. But without further you might struggle a bit to start off with.
If you want to study a Maths degree you should want to study Further Maths at A-level for a few reasons. But if your school doesn't offer it, fair enough - perhaps you could study AS Further Maths in your own time, as well as mention on your personal statement (or have it mentioned in your reference, I'm not sure) that you'll be studying FP2 and/or FP3 in the summer before uni, and do it - it'll come in useful at uni.
Original post by SeanFM
If you want to study a Maths degree you should want to study Further Maths at A-level for a few reasons. But if your school doesn't offer it, fair enough - perhaps you could study AS Further Maths in your own time, as well as mention on your personal statement (or have it mentioned in your reference, I'm not sure) that you'll be studying FP2 and/or FP3 in the summer before uni, and do it - it'll come in useful at uni.

my school does offer it but you have to a discussion with the head of maths and he will decide if its best for you. What is FP2?
my school does offer it but you have to a discussion with the head of maths and he will decide if its best for you. What is FP2?

Okay, fair enough. :h:

FP2 is a module in A2 Further Maths. For the exam board Edexcel, it has a few topics that have popped up in my first and second years of Maths, like method of differences, polar co-ordinates, differential equations. Don't worry - it is meaningless now until you figure out what is going to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest