Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Politics - what experience do I need for Oxbridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a current year 11 pupil, wishing to pursue a career in the political field and perhaps read politics at Oxford or Cambridge, I am curious to find out what experience I should have in order to show my interest.

Whilst obviously Oxbridge required academic excellence and have little interest in extra-curricular activities- it is undeniable that having experience gives you help, and shows your interest.

So, what books have you read, work experience you've done, generally how you have managed to show your interest in the political field to universities like Oxbridge, particularly for PPE or HSPS.

Emily

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are numerous things you can do in terms of experience. All you have to do is be willing to donate time and energy.

1) One of the easiest things to do is to reach out to your local MP, there will be a contact number on their page. Assuming that they are within a reasonable distance to you, go to their offices and ask for experience, even a week will help.

- I personally did work experience at 14 and remained in touch with the party. As a result I became heavily involved in the party during the half term and I am now working there once a week. I have been able to secure a position in the association too, this is quite a big deal and I am hoping it has really helped my application.

2) The House of Commons offers a work experience scheme and applications are now open. The deadline is 6th March at midnight. http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...rk-experience/ It was an incredible experience.

3) You could get involved in the EU campaign, assuming you have a strong opinion, get involved in the campaign, this will show that you are politically minded. There are official campaign events all over the country, just search. I myself am involved in the IN campaign.

Reading List:

- Noam Chomsky, anything by this author... he has a unique perspective.
    - I Katznelson and H Milner (eds.) Political Science: state of the discipline (New York: Wiley, 2002)[*] - R Goodin The Oxford Handbook of Political Science (Oxford University Press, 2009) [*] - J Colomer The Science of Politics: an introduction (Oxford University Press, 2011) [*]- Machiavelli The Prince ( a favourite of mine) [*] - J S Mill Considerations on Representative Government [*] - D Miller A Very Short Introduction to Political Philosophy (Oxford University Press, 2003)
    - G Almond, G Bingham Powell, R Dalton and K Strøm Comparative Politics Today: a world view, 9th edn, (Longman, 2009)[*] - P Dunleavy and J Dryzek Theories of the Democratic State (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) [*] - W R Clark, M Golder and S Nadenichek Golder Principles of Comparative Politics (CQ Press, 2009) [*]- Gelman Park, Bafumi, and Shor, Red State, Blue State: [*]- James C. Scott, Seeing Like a State: [*]- James C. Scott, The Art of Not Being Governed: [*]- Acemoglu and Robinson, Why Nations Fail

I could say a lot more and you are welcome to ask any questions. I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themosscrowd)
    There are numerous things you can do in terms of experience. All you have to do is be willing to donate time and energy.

1) One of the easiest things to do is to reach out to your local MP, there will be a contact number on their page. Assuming that they are within a reasonable distance to you, go to their offices and ask for experience, even a week will help.

- I personally did work experience at 14 and remained in touch with the party. As a result I became heavily involved in the party during the half term and I am now working there once a week. I have been able to secure a position in the association too, this is quite a big deal and I am hoping it has really helped my application.

2) The House of Commons offers a work experience scheme and applications are now open. The deadline is 6th March at midnight. http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...rk-experience/ It was an incredible experience.

3) You could get involved in the EU campaign, assuming you have a strong opinion, get involved in the campaign, this will show that you are politically minded. There are official campaign events all over the country, just search. I myself am involved in the IN campaign.

Reading List:

- Noam Chomsky, anything by this author... he has a unique perspective.
    - I Katznelson and H Milner (eds.) Political Science: state of the discipline (New York: Wiley, 2002)[*] - R Goodin The Oxford Handbook of Political Science (Oxford University Press, 2009) [*] - J Colomer The Science of Politics: an introduction (Oxford University Press, 2011) [*]- Machiavelli The Prince ( a favourite of mine) [*] - J S Mill Considerations on Representative Government [*] - D Miller A Very Short Introduction to Political Philosophy (Oxford University Press, 2003)
    - G Almond, G Bingham Powell, R Dalton and K Strøm Comparative Politics Today: a world view, 9th edn, (Longman, 2009)[*] - P Dunleavy and J Dryzek Theories of the Democratic State (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) [*] - W R Clark, M Golder and S Nadenichek Golder Principles of Comparative Politics (CQ Press, 2009) [*]- Gelman Park, Bafumi, and Shor, Red State, Blue State: [*]- James C. Scott, [/url]: [*]- James C. Scott, [/url]: [*]- Acemoglu and Robinson, [/url]

I could say a lot more and you are welcome to ask any questions. I hope this helps.
    Hi There
    I am 16 years old and I'm really interested in economics and politics so I am definitely going to apply for the work experience in the summer. I would like to ask a few questions however about the application form.
    Firstly what is the government looking for when they say "Describe a project your proud of". Are they looking for a project related to economics/politics or could it be completely random?
    Secondly what are honestly my chances of getting in? I say this because they probably don't have a lot of places and they probably get a huge number of applicants. Would you have a higher chance of getting in with good academic results?
    Thirdly what's it like doing the work experience?

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.