The Student Room Group

Michael Wisher

Anyone done any work for this company? I'm thinking of applying for Summer (London) but stay on the books for University (Nottingham). Was just wondering how often work is offerend to you roughly and how much (again roughly as I know it can vary) per job? Any comments on what you think about working for them will be good too. Thanks for any replies. xx
Reply 1
my friend works for them.she can accept or refuse job if she wants. she gets to go to football games and serve the VIPS etc. she's served the guy from Lost once, the one that was a hobbit in LOTR. tips are good too as these are rich people you're serving. The pay rates are good (and you get to keep the tips),i can't remember how much now sorry and the number of jobs you get depends really on how many jobs they are offered and how many people they need,if they need more experienced recruits or newer ones etc.
Does anybody who's ever worked for them know if you're allowed to have another part-time job alongside the work they provide?

I worked a few weeks back at Haydock Park - 'twas good fun and I got to eat seriously good quality food.

You do get quite good tips you can keep (as long as you hand them into a superior so they can be shared out among everyone else :frown: ), and the variety of people you meet is incredible.
Reply 3
Do you need to be a university student? Or over 18? :smile:
Live82005
Do you need to be a university student? Or over 18? :smile:
I don't know. I was working with some little 16-year-olds but they weren't from Michael Wisher so I can't say.
this sounds really good is it catering?. like creative but better it seems...
andy_cole2
this sounds really good is it catering?. like creative but better it seems...

Yeah. It's anything from bar work to box work to being a waiter/waitress to plate waiting.

I'm working on Thursday
Reply 7
_:_Sel_:_By_:_Date_:_16_:_
I don't know. I was working with some little 16-year-olds but they weren't from Michael Wisher so I can't say.

I just got in touch with them and they told me I can apply. Great stuff. I'm sending off my form tomorrow. :smile:
Live82005
I just got in touch with them and they told me I can apply. Great stuff. I'm sending off my form tomorrow. :smile:

Wicked! Best of luck to you!
Reply 9
When you get the form do you just send it by post to the address on it? Also, it is safe to give your sort code and account number to these people, right? I realise that might sound paranoid but I just feel the need for clarification. Thanks.
sozzberry
When you get the form do you just send it by post to the address on it? Also, it is safe to give your sort code and account number to these people, right? I realise that might sound paranoid but I just feel the need for clarification. Thanks.

Yes, it's fine.

BTW... Michale WIsher does NOT provide proper training (unless you count getting plonked in as e.g. a wine waiter and being asked if you've 'worked on the floor' when you've not received any training beforehand about what you're meant to be doing or what the bloody patois de couer is)!!

Well, they never did with me. I always end up being a runner (perhaps no bad thing, as it means not having to serve the evil posh people!!)
Reply 11
I can honestly say Michael Wisher is the worst company that i have ever worked for. I was promised 12 hour shifts and when i got there I got 5 hour shifts. The company thinks that due to the staff being young, they can speak to you like s***, especially a girl called Franky who never failed to dampen my enthusiasm at the start of every shift. You don't get any training and usually get ignored if you dare to ask for help or advice. The last thing that really made me angry is that i have been waiting two weeks to get paid now and so far nothing. I have tried to call HR but as usual nobody is picking up the phone. I do not recommend this company minimum wage is not worth the hassle!
Original post by DANTHMAN
I can honestly say Michael Wisher is the worst company that i have ever worked for. I was promised 12 hour shifts and when i got there I got 5 hour shifts. The company thinks that due to the staff being young, they can speak to you like s***, especially a girl called Franky who never failed to dampen my enthusiasm at the start of every shift. You don't get any training and usually get ignored if you dare to ask for help or advice. The last thing that really made me angry is that i have been waiting two weeks to get paid now and so far nothing. I have tried to call HR but as usual nobody is picking up the phone. I do not recommend this company minimum wage is not worth the hassle!

Franky Harper? She seemed alright but very disorganised. I asked to be on bar but was put on waiting on which I HATE. This kind of work is slave labour for students, put me off catering for life. They do take ages to pay grr :/
Reply 13
Do NOT bother working for this company. They are awful!! You get no training, the work is tough, they talk to you like you are a piece of s**t on their shoe and they do not pay you correctly.
I was team leader which is bloody hard and you get a pathetic 50p more and hour but they keep missing it off your pay packet so after numerous emails they kept saying it will come as a bonus in the next payslip. 2 months later I am yet to see my pay for that extra work.
You are also paid from either 7pm or 6pm start but are demanded to arrive half an hour early and they make you start work that half hour earlier. However when you get paid they don't include this extra half hour per shift which can equate to a lot of money. It's appalling and not worth your time. The pay is the minimum wage and they do not pay you correctly either. Awful company
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending