Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

Next year I intend to self study to achieve the full Further Maths A-Level. I am currently studying A2 Maths (aiming for an A*) and AS Further Maths.

The modules I am currently studying / have studied are:
    C1, C2, S1 (studied)
    C3, C4, D1, FP1, M1, M2 (studying)

My intention is to self study FP2, FP3 and M3.
    What are your thoughts on these modules? Do you think they are the best choice to achieve a high grade?
    I am also considering either S2 or D2 rather than M3 or rather than FP2. I am aware FP2 requires a lot of C4 knowledge which I believe I have (or I like to think so!).

On top of that, to achieve an A* for FM A-Level, would it require 90+ UMS in FP2 and FP3 (averaging 80+ UMS in AS Modules?).

Thank you for your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    Hi there.

Next year I intend to self study to achieve the full Further Maths A-Level. I am currently studying A2 Maths (aiming for an A*) and AS Further Maths.

C1, C2, S1 (studied)

What are your thoughts on these modules? Do you think they are the best choice to achieve a high grade?
    I am also considering either S2 or D2 rather than M3 or rather than FP2. I am aware FP2 requires a lot of C4 knowledge which I believe I have (or I like to think so!).

On top of that, to achieve an A* for FM A-Level, would it require 90+ UMS in FP2 and FP3 (averaging 80+ UMS in AS Modules?).

Thank you for your time!
    Please do as much pure as you can if you plan to go into any STEM fields after university. FP2 and FP3 are the "true" further maths units, meaning that they require a lot of practice to get it right. They are ideal to get a high grade if you're very capable. S2 is probably preferable over M3 if you aim for high UMS (and a good background knowledge in statistical methods is probably as important as mechanics!) As for the A*, you need 480 across 6 modules and 270+ across 3 (average of 90+ in 3 modules). You could bag the A* with 90+ in M2, S2 and D2 even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Please do as much pure as you can if you plan to go into any STEM fields after university. FP2 and FP3 are the "true" further maths units, meaning that they require a lot of practice to get it right. They are ideal to get a high grade if you're very capable. S2 is probably preferable over M3 if you aim for high UMS (and a good background knowledge in statistical methods is probably as important as mechanics!) As for the A*, you need 480 across 6 modules and 270+ across 3 (average of 90+ in 3 modules). You could bag the A* with 90+ in M2, S2 and D2 even.
    Thank you for the response!

So, the 90 UMS needs to be in 'sequel' modules only?

Also, I want to choose M3 mainly because I am a fan of Physics and want to get involved in that kind of career in the future; not to mention the enjoyment factor. In University I intend to study Physics based modules in a Mathematics degree, so I feel like this could help.
    That said, if you think S2 will get me a higher grade that could be more important; so I'll look into it.

Alternatively, do you think it may be beneficial to self-study 4 modules so one acts as a back-up (such as doing FP1,2, S2 and M3)?

I didn't enjoy S1... Are the S1 and S2 modules similar? Would you say S2 is an enjoyable module?

Thank you for taking so much time to help me out, I really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Oops, I seemed to have missed a very big requirement for the A* It has to be in an A2 module i.e. X2+ FP1, S1, M1, etc. can't count.

Have you done A-level Physics? The topics covered will be familiar then. M3 isn't difficult, but it does take time to practice it as it's a 3 module, but if it will help you in your future studies then it's worth pursuing.

I am actually doing 13 modules myself for that very reason! My "insurance" module is S3 in case one of FP2, FP3 or M3 turn out horribly wrong. I'd say it's a good idea provided you can take the stress of an extra module. S2 shouldn't be too stressful to learn as it's simple. I didn't enjoy S1 either but S2 is pretty nice - definitely a more enjoyable module in my books!

No worries, ask if you need anything else

ReputationRep:
    Oops, I seemed to have missed a very big requirement for the A* It has to be in an A2 module i.e. X2+ FP1, S1, M1, etc. can't count.

Have you done A-level Physics? The topics covered will be familiar then. M3 isn't difficult, but it does take time to practice it as it's a 3 module, but if it will help you in your future studies then it's worth pursuing.

I am actually doing 13 modules myself for that very reason! My "insurance" module is S3 in case one of FP2, FP3 or M3 turn out horribly wrong. I'd say it's a good idea provided you can take the stress of an extra module. S2 shouldn't be too stressful to learn as it's simple. I didn't enjoy S1 either but S2 is pretty nice - definitely a more enjoyable module in my books!

No worries, ask if you need anything else
    I do not study Physics unfortunately (as much as I wish I did). Having never done a 3 module I'm not sure of the difficulty. How much practice compared to M1 & 2 would you think it'd require?

I agree that an insurance module would be a great idea, as well as the wide module knowledge being great to show off at an interview for a competitive Uni. Having an entire year to do 4 modules should be a piece of cake, on top of keeping myself busy. I've heard similar things about S2 from others, so perhaps there is some truth in it!

Again, thank you for your response

ReputationRep:
    I do not study Physics unfortunately (as much as I wish I did). Having never done a 3 module I'm not sure of the difficulty. How much practice compared to M1 & 2 would you think it'd require?

I agree that an insurance module would be a great idea, as well as the wide module knowledge being great to show off at an interview for a competitive Uni. Having an entire year to do 4 modules should be a piece of cake, on top of keeping myself busy. I've heard similar things about S2 from others, so perhaps there is some truth in it!

Again, thank you for your response
    How much more practice you'll need depends only on you. Since you don't do Physics, you'll need to learn circular motion, Hooke's law, SHM, etc from scratch. Not to worry, though, A-level Physics students have the slightest advantage over you as these topics are covered in a very basic manner in that syllabus, whereas M3 is more rigorous. If your calculus is strong, it will make life a lot easier and the first chapter (assuming EDEXCEL spec) will take a day max as it's just C4 integration. Centres of mass will be reminiscent of M2, just on 3 dimensional objects. They can't do much with circular motion because it's usually just conservation of energy + resolving, but some questions have some really tricky last parts (you'll see what I mean when you get to doing them). SHM can be daunting at first, but again, they usually can't do much with the questions so a lot of practice should make you solid. You'd need as much practice as pure, I'd say, but once you get the hang of it it'll be simple!

S2 is nicer than M2 in my opinion But it really depends on you! Will you have no other A-levels?

No worries!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

C1, C2, S1 (studied)

Thank you for your time!
    excellent !!
    proper "man's modules" !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    excellent !!
    proper "man's modules" !
    i wonder what woman's modules are...

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what woman's modules are...

Stats and decision I guess ...

ReputationRep:
    How much more practice you'll need depends only on you. Since you don't do Physics, you'll need to learn circular motion, Hooke's law, SHM, etc from scratch. Not to worry, though, A-level Physics students have the slightest advantage over you as these topics are covered in a very basic manner in that syllabus, whereas M3 is more rigorous. If your calculus is strong, it will make life a lot easier and the first chapter (assuming EDEXCEL spec) will take a day max as it's just C4 integration. Centres of mass will be reminiscent of M2, just on 3 dimensional objects. They can't do much with circular motion because it's usually just conservation of energy + resolving, but some questions have some really tricky last parts (you'll see what I mean when you get to doing them). SHM can be daunting at first, but again, they usually can't do much with the questions so a lot of practice should make you solid. You'd need as much practice as pure, I'd say, but once you get the hang of it it'll be simple!

S2 is nicer than M2 in my opinion But it really depends on you! Will you have no other A-levels?

No worries!
    I don't mind learning new things that are Physics based; it's all good stuff and will be a pleasure to learn.
    Pure maths is definitely one of my strongest topics, so any calculus is welcome

I feel like I'd find M3 incredibly interesting from your description. Learning about a creative application of mathematics is very satisfying - it'll also offer a pleasant break from the likes of FP2 and 3. I apologise for appearing stubborn on doing M3, it just seems like it'll be enjoyable.
    Do you think S2 requires not so much practice? What proportion of your time was spent on S2 compared to M3?

At the end of this year I will have 2 A-Levels; One being Mathematics and the other a non-mathematical subject (though it has its Personal Statement uses). Since I want to do a Mathematics degree and study the subject further, it only makes sense to study FM further first! On top of that, I'll have AEA papers to sweeten the deal.

Also... Why are you self-studying modules? Is it for a similar reason or because you love Mathematics?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm trying to prepare myself, having never self studied before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    excellent !!
    proper "man's modules" !
    I'm glad you think so!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind learning new things that are Physics based; it's all good stuff and will be a pleasure to learn.
    Pure maths is definitely one of my strongest topics, so any calculus is welcome

I feel like I'd find M3 incredibly interesting from your description. Learning about a creative application of mathematics is very satisfying - it'll also offer a pleasant break from the likes of FP2 and 3. I apologise for appearing stubborn on doing M3, it just seems like it'll be enjoyable.
    Do you think S2 requires not so much practice? What proportion of your time was spent on S2 compared to M3?

At the end of this year I will have 2 A-Levels; One being Mathematics and the other a non-mathematical subject (though it has its Personal Statement uses). Since I want to do a Mathematics degree and study the subject further, it only makes sense to study FM further first! On top of that, I'll have AEA papers to sweeten the deal.

Also... Why are you self-studying modules? Is it for a similar reason or because you love Mathematics?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm trying to prepare myself, having never self studied before.
    If you're interested in doing it, do so by all means! Most people I know shy away from M3 because it's supposedly difficult. An interest in it will make it much less difficult for you.

I have definitely spent a lot more time on M3 than S2. I'm currently not revising S2 at all and the only times I do are when I'm forced to i.e. when I have mocks and such. I'm not struggling in it because I'm getting 70+, but it's usually best to aim for full in S2 as the grade boundaries are ridiculously inflated.

AEA sounds good! It'd definitely strengthen your pure. :yep:

I'm self-studying mostly because I don't have teachers who can teach me further maths. Otherwise, I have similar reasons to you in that I'd need it for my university course of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    excellent !!
    proper "man's modules" !
    Since when is D1 a "proper man's modules"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Since when is D1 a "proper man's modules"?
    I was referring only to the intended ...

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

C1, C2, S1 (studied)

Thank you for your time!
    Sounds good to me

It may take you a little longer to grasp M3 and FP3 but it shouldn't be a problem if you have done the exercises and proper revision before the exams.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.