Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I start my new job there will be no point in driving to work (as it is quite near to where I live) so I am going to cycle instead. I know it is illegal to cylce on the pavement but I hate the idea of cycling on busy roads. Can you actually get punished for cycling on the pavement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    When I start my new job there will be no point in driving to work (as it is quite near to where I live) so I am going to cycle instead. I know it is illegal to cylce on the pavement but I hate the idea of cycling on busy roads. Can you actually get punished for cycling on the pavement?
    Yeh just do it anyway, the police in reality wont stop you, they have far more important things to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    yes, but it would be extremely petty if they do. unless you hurt someone badly and they sue you :-) most of the time i do it and got no problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    There's a wheel size limit - I think it's 14", and you can get fined. But I never have been.

If I were you, I'd just ride on the roads. It's quicker and less bumpy. Just stick yourself right out in the middle of the road, and the cars won't give you any problems. I've never had any, and I cycle to school around part of the north circular.

ReputationRep:
    As a driver I hate people who cycle on the roads, its so much hassle and they cause so many problems...now that I drive Id never cycle on the road again, as I realise how easy it is to get ploughed down

ReputationRep:
    In Cambridge I'm perfectly happy cycling on the roads, because there are so many other cyclists and all the drivers are aware to watch out for them (most of the time). I wouldn't do it here though - too hilly. Riding on the roads isn't that bad though, as long as you know what you're doing, and signal in plenty of time - it takes a car longer to stop than it takes you to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    In Cambridge I'm perfectly happy cycling on the roads, because there are so many other cyclists and all the drivers are aware to watch out for them (most of the time). I wouldn't do it here though - too hilly. Riding on the roads isn't that bad though, as long as you know what you're doing, and signal in plenty of time - it takes a car longer to stop than it takes you to.
    :-o !! i love riding me bike in cambridge! :-D the roads arnt that bad, cycle path everywhere and everyone does it!!

ReputationRep:
    No! No! No! This just the kind of thing that cyclists hate!

Cycle on the road. Pavements are for walking. You are safer on the road than on the pavement.

Get on some quieter roads and get some cycling practice. The more experience you have, the better and more confifent you will be.

Cycling is fun. If you don't want to go on busy roads, then try taking a scenic route. It may be longer, but you will enjoy it more.

I am happy to answer any more cycling questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yep roads are better once you're used to them. Just don't be intimidated by other drivers and be prepared for people to do really stupid things!

I do occasionally use the pavement if a road looks particularly lethal - the idea of cycling on the north circular sounds rather suicidal to me though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    Yep roads are better once you're used to them. Just don't be intimidated by other drivers and be prepared for people to do really stupid things!

I do occasionally use the pavement if a road looks particularly lethal - the idea of cycling on the north circular sounds rather suicidal to me though!
    It's more fun than suicidal

People do some really, really stupid things. Watch out for parked cars, people will open the roadside foor without looking, and hitting it will hurt. A lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    It's more fun than suicidal

People do some really, really stupid things. Watch out for parked cars, people will open the roadside foor without looking, and hitting it will hurt. A lot.
    Good cyclists would never experience this problem because you should keep well away from things on your left anyway. Don't kerb crawl and stay too much to the left away from other vehicles - cycle well in the road, at least a metre away from the kerb, or in the path of the left wheel of a car. Drivers will be able to see you better and will be discouraged from making dangerous overtaking manouvres.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, cyclists are a nuisance to drivers, and I wouldnt recommend cycling on the road to anyone. Pavement is the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    At the end of the day, cyclists are a nuisance to drivers, and I wouldnt recommend cycling on the road to anyone. Pavement is the way.
    It's the bad cyclists that are the nuisance. Unfortunately, it is the bad few that give cyclists a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    It's the bad cyclists that are the nuisance. Unfortunately, it is the bad few that give cyclists a bad name.
    No, anyone taking up part of the road and going 10 miles an hour are a nuisance. Its nothing to do with how good you are at cycling

ReputationRep:
    No, anyone taking up part of the road and going 10 miles an hour are a nuisance. Its nothing to do with how good you are at cycling
    Ten m.p.h. is a little slow. Bicycles on the road are vehicles on the road.

You say that cycling ability is not a factor - what about driving ability?

ReputationRep:
    I can't ride a bike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    I can't ride a bike
    My mate can't ride a bike. It's unbelievable. We once put him on one and he was shaking like crazy.

On yer bike!

ReputationRep:
    Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as you do. Personally I find idiots in cars who try and overtake (especially before turning left- absolute ****ing idiots....) dangerously a total nuisance.

Generally I find the best thing is to follow the highway code and to take a position in traffic- i.e. not in the gutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Don't kerb crawl and stay too much to the left away from other vehicles - cycle well in the road, at least a metre away from the kerb.
    Absolutely, but on small roads with double parked cars, it's tough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and then you're a nuisance to pedestrians!

Besides, most main roads have cycle lanes.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.