Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    No, anyone taking up part of the road and going 10 miles an hour are a nuisance. Its nothing to do with how good you are at cycling
    A reasonable cyclist can do often do about 20 to possibly 25 mph cruising speed on a good straight flat road. If you're going downhill you can go faster - 30mph fairly easily. If you have a really good racing bike people have been known to exceed 45mph on a good staight downhill stretch of road with a favourable wind. The only problem is getting up the hills!

Anyway if you're cycling you're not damaging the environment and it also improves you're general fitness. A win-win situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Yeah, and then you're a nuisance to pedestrians!

Besides, most main roads have cycle lanes.
    Would love to know where you live - I can't think of one cycle lane round here :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    As a driver I hate people who cycle on the roads, its so much hassle and they cause so many problems...now that I drive Id never cycle on the road again, as I realise how easy it is to get ploughed down
    I'd definitely agree with that, i generally ride on the path or when its quiet down the middle of the road, safest place to be, relying on a car driver is a liability, i'd rather crash into a pedestrian than a car, then again, i don't crash touch wood.

Pick the pavement, unless you have bad control, though i suppose hitting people is better than hitting cars.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.