Turn on thread page Beta

Council tax watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hello guys, I'm an international student and I study A-level( currently A2). I'm receiving a council tax bill even though i'm a full time student. The letter said that as now I'm over 20 years i have to pay council tax, but when i visited the customer service the adviser said that I will not get any bills because i was under 20 when I applied for it. So I'm really confused right now Please help if u can
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You shouldn't have to pay council tax if you're on a full time course (at least 21 hours of study per week since you're 20), and everybody in your household is a student. I would imagine therefore that either your college doesn't have enough contact hours per week, or you live with people that aren't students. If the latter is the case, then you should still get a discount to your council tax. If neither of these are true then you may need to submit proof from your college that you're in full time education (when I did it my university had a sheet we could print out and sign).

    There's more info here.
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.