Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If the assignment limit is set to 1000-1500 words, and there is a 10% leeway both ways, would I be able to write 800-1000 words?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    If the assignment limit is set to 1000-1500 words, and there is a 10% leeway both ways, would I be able to write 800-1000 words?
    Normally in that situation, i ve not heard of being allowed 10% below the lower limit. If you wrote 800 words and another student is able to write 1500 words i'd wonder if you could include all the necessary content to pass with 800 words.

ReputationRep:
    The lowest limit would be 900 words because 10% of 1000 900 1000 words should be fine with now worries.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'd try hit the 1000 minimum. When a range is given like that, I'd be wary of going below the minimum specified. I'd also agree with Claireestelle that if you're only writing 800-900, I'd really wonder about what you're leaving out or not covering (or even whether you'd done enough work, full stop) when others can fill 1500 words. Of course, some people basically waffle and fill up word counts with unnecessary stuff, but being very under the word count can also be quite bad.

ReputationRep:
    I have a study coach and her advise to me was... if you ever do lower the limit.. it best be PERFECT. As the lecturer will expect perfection if they think that you can cover what is needed in 800 words.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I managed to do 1051
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Usually in this case, there isn't a 10% allowed as they've given you the option to write 1000 or 1500 words, they've given you a lower and a higher and I haven't heard of the 10% being there in that case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.