Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have an offer to read Theology at Oxford (2016). This is going to be my second undergrad degree. I am in the last semester of my first degree in India. However, I am a little confused about the offer (most people have dismissed it as 'silly').

My offer reads: "Your offer is on condition of gaining a First Class in B.Com {which is my current course, in India}, that you are reading at {my current University}.

In India, First Class degrees are awarded at a 60 per cent. Oxford knows this well, and they sent me an offer only after reviewing my transcript. My transcripts clearly mentioned that a First Class is awarded at a 60 percent. I currently have a 58 percent, and I am expecting to end my course with an average of 61 percent {which is a First Class in India}. It is impossible for me to score a 70 {which I hear is a First Class in the UK}.

I hope my offer was made according to Indian standards. It would be incredibly stupid of Oxford to make me an offer that I can not achieve {and I wouldn't expect them to do so}. I also have a scholarship.

What do you guys think ? It should be a First by Indian standards, right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdtheology)
    Hi. I have an offer to read Theology at Oxford (2016). This is going to be my second undergrad degree. I am in the last semester of my first degree in India. However, I am a little confused about the offer (most people have dismissed it as 'silly'.

My offer reads: "Your offer is on condition of gaining a First Class in B.Com {which is my current course, in India}, that you are reading at {my current University}.

In India, First Class degrees are awarded at a 60 per cent. Oxford knows this well, and they sent me an offer only after reviewing my transcript. My transcripts clearly mentioned that a First Class is awarded at a 60 percent. I currently have a 58 percent, and I am expecting to end my course with an average of 61 percent {which is a First Class in India}. It is impossible for me to score a 70 {which I hear is a First Class in the UK}.

I hope my offer was made according to Indian standards. It would be incredibly stupid of Oxford to make me an offer that I can not achieve {and I wouldn't expect them to do so}. I also have a scholarship.

What do you guys think ? It should be a First by Indian standards, right ?
    Technically it should, but, if in doubt, just call them up and ask them what they meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Technically it should, but, if in doubt, just call them up and ask them what they meant
    Hi, so you mean it should be a 60, right. I do not want to call them and jeopardise my chances. Thanks so much. I appreciate your help.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Your offer is made by your university's standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Yes. Your offer is made by your university's standard.
    Thank you so much. Prayers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. Prayers
    Prayers probably won't help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so you mean it should be a 60, right. I do not want to call them and jeopardise my chances. Thanks so much. I appreciate your help.
    Yeah, you won't jeopardise your chances by calling them, they've given you the offer, its not like they can take it away, at least this way you would be 100% sure...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.