Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's up with the students in Oxford??

I'm a decent guy - 26 years old and I was in a relationship for 3 years. I broke up with my girlfriend a couple of years ago when I moved to Oxford and have been single ever since.

Please tell me that my perception of student sex life in Oxford being non-existent is incorrect. But what I feel is that to get laid on a regular basis you have to either be an athlete - that's exactly what I am not or you have to go clubbing - unfortunately dancing the night away in a smoke filled room isn't my thing either.

Everybody here hangs and goes out in groups of people who know one another and this makes it really difficult to approach members of the opposite sex.

Can't ask girls from my college out either since I have known them for some time and they are friends. Starting a new relationship with someone you have friend zoned seems a little weird.

It's not about pulling or having a one-night stand (although it would at least "end the 2-year celibacy", as one of my mates kindly put it) - I want a normal relationship - short-term, long-term - I don't particularly care now.
    I know I'm a good guy, I've got enough hobbies and participate in quite a few societies (which have been exhausted in terms of search for a potential girlfriend). I know I'm interesting and have enough to offer - and I don't think it's fair that I should stay single and **** in the bathroom all the way through my youth just because I can't hang out in a company of rugby lads or go clubbing every night.

Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people, and am naturally inclined to meet unsingle/weird/really *****y/****** up women (experience of the past 2 years), but that's an entirely different topic.

Rant over. Suggestions welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What's up with the students in Oxford??

I'm a decent guy - 26 years old and I was in a relationship for 3 years. I broke up with my girlfriend a couple of years ago when I moved to Oxford and have been single ever since.

Please tell me that my perception of student sex life in Oxford being non-existent is incorrect. But what I feel is that to get laid on a regular basis you have to either be an athlete - that's exactly what I am not or you have to go clubbing - unfortunately dancing the night away in a smoke filled room isn't my thing either.

Everybody here hangs and goes out in groups of people who know one another and this makes it really difficult to approach members of the opposite sex.

Can't ask girls from my college out either since I have known them for some time and they are friends. Starting a new relationship with someone you have friend zoned seems a little weird.

It's not about pulling or having a one-night stand (although it would at least "end the 2-year celibacy", as one of my mates kindly put it) - I want a normal relationship - short-term, long-term - I don't particularly care now.
    I know I'm a good guy, I've got enough hobbies and participate in quite a few societies (which have been exhausted in terms of search for a potential girlfriend). I know I'm interesting and have enough to offer - and I don't think it's fair that I should stay single and **** in the bathroom all the way through my youth just because I can't hang out in a company of rugby lads or go clubbing every night.

Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people, and am naturally inclined to meet unsingle/weird/really *****y/****** up women (experience of the past 2 years), but that's an entirely different topic.

Rant over. Suggestions welcome.
    I would say hanging out in coffee shops and libraries is the best way to naturally meet girls who are less interested in clubbing. But you come across as really entitled and bitter in your post, as though the problem is with these girls who can't see that you - A GOOD GUY - are right in front of them. I get that it can be frustrating to be single (trust me, I'm 25 and am yet to be in a relationship) but you have to work on not passing the blame onto girls who have no obligation to go out with you.

Have you thought that maybe you're looking too hard for a relationship? Sometimes they develop organically from friendships or even quietly encountering the same person again and again. Have you actually asked anyone on a date or have you not met anyone who you're actually interested in at all? Have you tried going on OKCupid and searching in your local area? Sometimes shyer people hang around on there - people who might not approach you in real life, but who would really like a date and maybe a relationship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.