Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am actually super interested in studying English Language in university. But most people said that English Literature seems to be more useful to future career.

I wanted to know if English Literature is a boring subject and whether it's hard to study. I also figured that there's only around 17% of lesson time through the whole school year and the rest of the time we will be doing self-study. Will it be better for me to choose a subject with a higher percentage in lecture time? Or it really doesn't matter?

Also, I wanted to know which of the following uni is the best option for studying English Literature.
    - University of Manchester
    -University of Exeter
    -University of Leeds
    -University of Warwick
    -University of Durham

Thank you for all your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily_wwtt)
    I am actually super interested in studying English Language in university. But most people said that English Literature seems to be more useful to future career.

I wanted to know if English Literature is a boring subject and whether it's hard to study. I also figured that there's only around 17% of lesson time through the whole school year and the rest of the time we will be doing self-study. Will it be better for me to choose a subject with a higher percentage in lecture time? Or it really doesn't matter?

Also, I wanted to know which of the following uni is the best option for studying English Literature.
    -University of Exeter
    -University of Leeds
    -University of Warwick
    -University of Durham

Unless you want to be an English teacher, it won't make a jot of difference to your career whether you language or literature. It makes far more sense to do the subject you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    If you: read for leisure on a consistent basis; have an appreciation for the English language, its many different structures and uses; and enjoy analysing the semantics of written texts, then English Literature, English Language and Literature, and English Language, may well be suited to you. All three courses are career-expanding, you should choose based on interest in course content. I think English Language and Literature is the best option, but perhaps that's my subjectivity on the matter, since I study it.

You can teach English at KS3/GCSE with a degree in either, actually. The content of mainstream English lessons is weighted more in favour of language analysis, but literature still plays a big part.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools offer English Language as an a-levels subject, so you can still be a English teacher with a degree in English Language. But I have to admit that a literature degree will be more useful than a lang degree as it seems more respected and relevant to lang education in this country (just my personal opinion). Durham, which ranks the first in English as I remember, is probably the best choice.

On the other hand, I can't agree more with what the others said. You should do something you enjoy the most and don't make yourself regret when you look back in the future. Which course you are going to choose really depends on 1) your interest (priority!!!) and 2) your career goal. If I were you, I would see how interested you are in literature and language.

If they split evenly (50-50), go for an English Language and Literature degree (e.g. Birmingham Uni). Do check the course structure to see if it is really lang AND lit. Some courses call themselves English Lang and Lit but they focus on literature very much (e.g Oxford).

If they split (80-20 or 70-30), go for an English Lang degree. Many of them provide literature as an outside option. Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else is saying, choose which course you prefer.
    Also, choose whichever uni course you prefer. Out of those five unis you listed, you might decide you hate all of their courses, so try and choose your uni based on modules and assessment rather than prestige.
    Second also, both Englishes are difficult (I did both for A-Level and now do Q300 Lang and Lit at uni) and do't let anyone try and tell you one is easier than the other, because they both require work, like every and any uni degree.
    Hope this helps, feel free to PM me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by emily_wwtt)

-University of Exeter
    -University of Leeds
    -University of Warwick
    -University of Durham

Studying English Literature and English Language at university are so different from one another. But nowadays, universities are teaching us all about transferable skills from our degree and how to put the skills into a professional setting. So in this sense, go with the one you prefer.

Job prospects are not quite the same. Although, if you had Language background, you could work in places such as marketing, HR, Editing, Teaching, treasury, analyst, journalism etc. Literature is more heavy with books so library, journalism, teaching, publishing, HR, etc etc.

From experience, Language teaches you how to understand use language in different ways and Literature teaches you how to analyse literature and vasts amount of different forms of writing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.