Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been thinking about doing optometry at university for quite some time but I have a few questions regarding university entry requirements for the course. I currently study Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and IT at AS level now and due to Chemistry being my least favourite subject I'll probably drop it after AS. So that would leave me with Biology, Psychology and IT at A2. The entry requirements for optometry is AAA with two sciences but I've heard that some universities are lenient with their entry requirements? Could somebody please explain this? It would be great to hear people's suggestions of how I could gain entry to the course. Does anyone know why the entry requirements are so demanding also?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    So I've been thinking about doing optometry at university for quite some time but I have a few questions regarding university entry requirements for the course. I currently study Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and IT at AS level now and due to Chemistry being my least favourite subject I'll probably drop it after AS. So that would leave me with Biology, Psychology and IT at A2. The entry requirements for optometry is AAA with two sciences but I've heard that some universities are lenient with their entry requirements? Could somebody please explain this? It would be great to hear people's suggestions of how I could gain entry to the course. Does anyone know why the entry requirements are so demanding also?
    Not all universities will consider psychology as a science so you'll have to look into that. I believe it is high due to how competitive it is to get into, if there arent many places available i wouldnt rely on them being lenient. So apply to the universities that accept psychology and maybe consider doing it with a foundation year which i believe cardiff does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Not all universities will consider psychology as a science so you'll have to look into that. I believe it is high due to how competitive it is to get into, if there arent many places available i wouldnt rely on them being lenient. So apply to the universities that accept psychology and maybe consider doing it with a foundation year which i believe cardiff does.
    I've looked at Cardiff's foundation year course. It says that only one science should be offered on UCAS so I've emailed them to see whether they consider psychology a science or not.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I've looked at Cardiff's foundation year course. It says that only one science should be offered on UCAS so I've emailed them to see whether they consider psychology a science or not.
    According to their website for optometry without a foundation year, they only consider two from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology so in your case i d recon it'd only be one science

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth Uni accepts Psychology as a science, a friend of mine applied this year with chem,psych&german and received an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indyyyy)
    Plymouth Uni accepts Psychology as a science, a friend of mine applied this year with chem,psych&german and received an offer
    Yeah I saw that, one problem - I live 4/5 hours away from Plymouth and I'm not sure if I'd want to travel that far away from home tbh

ReputationRep:
    you are in the same situation as me lol i plan to drop chem after AS its so difficult and annoying, that will then leave me with biology economics and psychology.. have a quick question though are you allowed to apply for different courses at different unis ? if so i'll definitely give Plymouth a shot even though that means i will have to take accommodation at Plymouth uni .... have you considered doing that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synonym)
    you are in the same situation as me lol i plan to drop chem after AS its so difficult and annoying, that will then leave me with biology economics and psychology.. have a quick question though are you allowed to apply for different courses at different unis ? if so i'll definitely give Plymouth a shot even though that means i will have to take accommodation at Plymouth uni .... have you considered doing that ?
    I'm not sure if you can apply for multiple courses at once! I think you can though. I'm tempted to apply for plymouth also even though it'll take me a day to get there lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'd say definitely apply there as there is a more likely chance they'd accept you than another university... all about chance but if i was you i'd take the hit

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I applied for optom for next year. You need to do 2 sciences from either maths bio chem or physics. Psychology is only accepted as a science in plymouth.
    Don't worry when i was doing my AS i hated chemistry too but then i knew i needed it to get into uni and you soon realise that once you have the knowledge from AS chem a2 is not that difficult. However it is still hard and your will have to dedicate a lot of time into it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.