The Student Room Group

Do you find London to be a depressing city?

Scroll to see replies

@lycamobile

They know what's up. :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've lasted 26 years so far in London: the city's great, but living amongst Londoners who are constantly evaluating how much longer they can hack the pace, is undeniably depressing.
Original post by acupofgreentea
@lycamobile

They know what's up. :u:

dont h8 appreci8

LDN >>>>>>>>>>> everywhere else in the uk
Not in particular.
Reply 104
Original post by 0xygen
I've lived in London for the past 22 years (born here) but i'm starting to seeLondon to have one of the most depressing atmospheres.

Reasons:

- The weather is always terrible. Its too dull. You have to wake up to cloudy skies and a hidden sun, then sleep to terrible winds and covered stars.

- Its too historic, you don't feel as if its really moving forward with anything. The houses are all the same red brick ugly style (unless you have real £). Its full of museums and dull rivers.

- Tax depresses you. You have a nice salary of £50k? Get ready to give 14k away. You can then try to save your pennies for the next couple of years till you manage to save enough to take a mortgage on a small house outside London.

- NHS is downgrading year after year.

The list goes on.

Any thoughts?

To be honest ive always hated the city by the way im from Nottingham I find the city too mainstream its like a centre point for tourists etc.... I hate the busy streets and the people tend to give of somewhat a negative vibe.
I've recently started visiting London now and then because I have some friends who live down there. I think I've gotten used to there being so many people around. The houses seem really ancient though, but well, I live in Milton Keynes where most houses were built within the last 30 years or so so I guess it's just because of what I'm used to. I will say, however, £5 for a tube journey that I could walk in 40 mins? I'm not doing that.
Londoners as people are what makes great britain great.
The arrogance,the women,the swagger etc etc.
Reply 107
Original post by The Socktor
I've recently started visiting London now and then because I have some friends who live down there. I think I've gotten used to there being so many people around. The houses seem really ancient though, but well, I live in Milton Keynes where most houses were built within the last 30 years or so so I guess it's just because of what I'm used to. I will say, however, £5 for a tube journey that I could walk in 40 mins? I'm not doing that.

You must be doing smth wrong.

I commute from zone 4 into central ldn every day (a 2hr walk according to google maps) and it costs me £3.30

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by RivalPlayer
EastEnders doesn't even reflect the real East End of London.

Lol yh it would be like 50% asian if it was accurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stefano865
Nothing worse than a city on a grey day.

True
Depressing because every day I see London slowly turning into Pakistan
Original post by Christopher9600
Depressing because every day I see London slowly turning into Pakistan

i absolutely love it.
Original post by faloodeh
i absolutely love it.

Which side of London are u from? It differs really
Never been so couldn't say.
Which side of London are u from? It differs really

doesnt matter because im constantly all over london :smile: north west central east south..
Original post by faloodeh
doesnt matter because im constantly all over london :smile: north west central east south..

West, central and north are alright. But south and east? Hahaha noooo thank you maam
West, central and north are alright. But south and east? Hahaha noooo thank you maam

everywheres the same now tbh
I've never been anywhere so full of people yet so lacking in soul.
London is quite depressing. Overcrowded trains full of people on their way to waste another day at the office and, I assume, don't want to be there. This obviously creates a boring energy!
Also in London: money earned from wasting one's life, is easily wasted on low quality accommodation and overpriced everything else. There is not much to do in London other than to spend money while looking at the conformist inhabitants chanting "best city in the world" "tired of London tired of life (?) (as if that old quote could be applicable to today's London) with a dead look in their eyes. It would suit London if the people living there opened their horizons. There are so many nicer places in both England and the world than boring and work obsessed London.
This thread is old. Not really. There’s loads of opportunities within London and places to go

Quick Reply

Latest