Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so I'm gonna do A-Level maths but I'm really bad at doing maths in my head. Like I genuinely can't do calculations in my head, I have a pretty bad short term memory so I just forget what I'm working out all together. (I'm talking simple stuff like 23 x 12 or something, or 2495 + 9854, or 552 - 385, or 500 / 15)

Saying this though, on paper I'm perfectly fine. In the last mock I got an A* (GCSE ofc), and I've never got below an A in previous exams. In the Further Maths mock I got an A. I'm perfectly fine with Maths on paper, I'm just bad with Maths in my head and I've tried hard to fix it but I have more of an 'English' brain than a 'Maths' one. I still love Maths, but I can't do it mentally. Time isn't really an issue in exams, because there's paper available to perform calculations.

I'm just wondering if this will affect me at A-Level? Will my inability to manipulate numbers in my head affect me in the long term? I know A-Level is a class above GCSE and at this level perhaps I've been getting away with it.

o and any tips on improving my **** mental arithmetic?

ReputationRep:
    Faster mental maths would always be a benefit in doing maths especially when to do algebraic manipulation faster etc.
    As to improving it, i have no idea how as im quite good at mental maths but the way i do it is to imagine the numbers in my mind as if on a piece of paper and calculate it(if that makes any sense) and i also say out the numbers that im counting so that i will remember them easily in the short term.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you're still probably better off than most of the people in my year doing maths.

I think you should be fine. Core 1, is practically Further Maths at GCSE, and tho I've no idea about Core 3 and 4, I still think you can do it at A Level. What really matter is how much you enjoy it, as you'll be more likely to work on it.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    You should try to improve your mental maths for the first Maths AS-level unit (C1) since it is non-calculator, I do maths and further maths at A2 and honestly I use a calculator for pretty much anything I can, it's easier and more accurate so don't worry about it too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanner)
    so I'm gonna do A-Level maths but I'm really bad at doing maths in my head. Like I genuinely can't do calculations in my head, I have a pretty bad short term memory so I just forget what I'm working out all together. (I'm talking simple stuff like 23 x 12 or something, or 2495 + 9854, or 552 - 385, or 500 / 15)

Saying this though, on paper I'm perfectly fine. In the last mock I got an A* (GCSE ofc), and I've never got below an A in previous exams. In the Further Maths mock I got an A. I'm perfectly fine with Maths on paper, I'm just bad with Maths in my head and I've tried hard to fix it but I have more of an 'English' brain than a 'Maths' one. I still love Maths, but I can't do it mentally. Time isn't really an issue in exams, because there's paper available to perform calculations.

I'm just wondering if this will affect me at A-Level? Will my inability to manipulate numbers in my head affect me in the long term? I know A-Level is a class above GCSE and at this level perhaps I've been getting away with it.

Apart from C1, you can use a calculator for the rest. My mental maths is quite good but I would still use the calculator for basic calculations in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine! You get to use calculators .

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by zanner)
    I'm just wondering if this will affect me at A-Level? Will my inability to manipulate numbers in my head affect me in the long term?
    Not much at all in A-levels, but probably very very slightly in things like STEP.

C1 is non-calculator though (at least for Edexcel), so you may want to cut down on calculator use to practice for it. Just write down your working on paper, you will have plenty of time in the exam.

Dunno... I used to be really bad at mental arithmetic, then I just gradually got a lot better, probably from doing so much maths. Also, I'm too lazy to use a calculator

ReputationRep:
    I only had a B in GCSE maths, but still managed a B in A levels maths so I'm sure you'd be fine. (And this was after not trying in AS and having to work my ass off in A2). I was never great with mental maths either, you get better with it over time.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really important. You'll probably want to do some practice for C1, but past that it doesn't matter unless you want to do STEP.

ReputationRep:
    For the examples that you gave, I can't do those calculations in my head - except maybe 23*12 by doing 23*10 + 46. You can just work them out on paper so even the non-calculator exam should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.