The Student Room Group

Choosing Advanced Highers

I am thinking of doing AH Computing Science next year but how useful is it for getting into university courses such as Bioinformatics or something along that path? Should I just do another Higher instead e.g. Business, Mods etc.

Is there a point doing Advanced Highers or is it better to go down the all Higher route?
Reply 1
Original post by KG101
I am thinking of doing AH Computing Science next year but how useful is it for getting into university courses such as Bioinformatics or something along that path? Should I just do another Higher instead e.g. Business, Mods etc.

Is there a point doing Advanced Highers or is it better to go down the all Higher route?

Pure sciences are probably better for universities, such as AH maths, bio, chem, physics. So you are better off with AH maths than AH Compsci, and higher/AH physics too. Since you want to Bioinformatics, biology should also be pretty relevant so you should also consider AH Bio. Doing other highers such as business/mod etc might give you other options if you change your mind, but they are not really needed for your course (unless you need to crash higher in a science).
Reply 2
Doing Adv Highers looks good on your UCAS.
Highers are quite shallow when it comes to the depth at which you study your subject and Adv Higher is closer to what you'll learn in uni.
Reply 3
I would say doing AH Computing Science would be useful for this course since it does involve computer technology.

AH Biology and AH Computing Science would probably be excellent subjects to study if possible since they both relate to your course and might well help make beginning your course a bit easier as opposed to focusing solely on 'getting in'.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Do AHs relating to your course so you have an easy first year

Quick Reply

Latest