The Student Room Group

Help maths gcse to A level

I'm confident I'm going to get a B at maths for GCSE, and I want to take it at A level, would it be virtually impossible for me to get an A at it for A level? The sixth form I got into lets me do maths at grade B for gcse, so do I take it?
Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by william hart
I'm confident I'm going to get a B at maths for GCSE, and I want to take it at A level, would it be virtually impossible for me to get an A at it for A level? The sixth form I got into lets me do maths at grade B for gcse, so do I take it?
Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have enough motivation for the subject, and understand it well, theres nothing stopping you from getting an A at A level
Thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop. I got a high A at GCSE and got a D at as at a top sixth form college with loads of support. I now many ppl in the same position- do something you will ultimately get an A/A* at GCSE in

Posted from TSR Mobile
you won't know unless you try. take it!
Maybe.
Reply 6
It won't be impossible for you to get an A at a level but you'd need to put a lot of dedication and motivation into it and be able to develop from what you learnt at GCSE maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, I really would not recommend it. I do A level maths currently and after getting an A* and a B in further maths i definitely struggle with certain aspects of the course. I'm sitting on an A, even with the background knowledge of further maths. Unless you are prepared to solely focus on maths, and put a ridiculous amount of effort into it I don't see you getting an A at a level overall, sorry
Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The GCSE exams are not until the end of May/early June, if you are serious about A level maths and achieving an A then you will be willing and able to improve your confident B grade to a good A or better. if you can then go for it, if you can't then think twice about whether you have the aptitude to achieve a high grade at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9

If you have no expectation of getting better than a B at GCSE then I doubt you will have the intelligence/commitment required to get an A at A level. Do better at GCSE and I will believe you might have what it takes to do well at A level.
Reply 10
Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Confidence is key.

Aspire to get an A/A* in your maths GCSE first as this will enable you to do the A level maths syllabus a lost easier. Also, don't limit yourself in just getting a B in your maths GCSE. Aim for an A/A*! I'm sure you can do it :biggrin:
Do loads of past papers and constantly practice the topics you are finding difficult. Ensure you can apply the skills in each topic you study and you'll definitely get an A/A*

Confidence is key and as long as you know what you want to achieve and how you are planning to achieve it, you can definitely achieve it!

Good luck!
Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definately not. I have found that A level maths is a lot more structured and if you work hard it should be ok.
Okay guys, thank you very much! Means a lot that people are taking there time to help me chose my A levels! This makes my decision a lot easier. I'm going to see how well I do at GCSE with lots of revision and then see at the end if I should take it, thanks again everybody😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest