The Student Room Group

Options open to someone wanting to drop out

Hey everyone.
I am in my first year studying Chemistry at University. I have never really enjoyed my educational experience and Chemistry was one of the few topics I had a genuine interest in at a lower level, I was not overly excited about the prospect of University but I decided I would go and do the subject I enjoyed most at A level. But I am just not very interested in the course at all at University and that is a problem, I have never had a problem getting good grades if I cared for something, but as soon as I lose interest that is that. I averaged about 85% across labs and exams up until this point but I feel like I am already getting behind, I don't really do any work outside of turning up for lectures and even then I am disinterested and struggle to pay attention.
I would much rather be out working but of course opportunities are limited and I wouldn't know where to begin, not to mention I would have to explain the situation to my parents and will already have a over 6 thousand owed in loans.

I really am just lacking direction at the moment. It can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. I have always wanted to work outdoors, or in media but I picked the scientific path because it's what I know my parents expected and I use to be fairly good at it before I lost my interest and subsequently motivation.

Has anyone else dropped out and if so what did you do? What options are there for someone thinking about going in a direction other than continuing University?
Original post by MattP96
Hey everyone.
I am in my first year studying Chemistry at University. I have never really enjoyed my educational experience and Chemistry was one of the few topics I had a genuine interest in at a lower level, I was not overly excited about the prospect of University but I decided I would go and do the subject I enjoyed most at A level. But I am just not very interested in the course at all at University and that is a problem, I have never had a problem getting good grades if I cared for something, but as soon as I lose interest that is that. I averaged about 85% across labs and exams up until this point but I feel like I am already getting behind, I don't really do any work outside of turning up for lectures and even then I am disinterested and struggle to pay attention.
I would much rather be out working but of course opportunities are limited and I wouldn't know where to begin, not to mention I would have to explain the situation to my parents and will already have a over 6 thousand owed in loans.

I really am just lacking direction at the moment. It can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. I have always wanted to work outdoors, or in media but I picked the scientific path because it's what I know my parents expected and I use to be fairly good at it before I lost my interest and subsequently motivation.

Has anyone else dropped out and if so what did you do? What options are there for someone thinking about going in a direction other than continuing University?

have you considered a course actually in media or you say outdoors but what do you mean would outdoor adventure management interest you or what do you mean more of a job like building. Do leave if you need to but leave with a plan.

Quick Reply

Latest