Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I am in my first year studying Chemistry at University. I have never really enjoyed my educational experience and Chemistry was one of the few topics I had a genuine interest in at a lower level, I was not overly excited about the prospect of University but I decided I would go and do the subject I enjoyed most at A level. But I am just not very interested in the course at all at University and that is a problem, I have never had a problem getting good grades if I cared for something, but as soon as I lose interest that is that. I averaged about 85% across labs and exams up until this point but I feel like I am already getting behind, I don't really do any work outside of turning up for lectures and even then I am disinterested and struggle to pay attention.
    I would much rather be out working but of course opportunities are limited and I wouldn't know where to begin, not to mention I would have to explain the situation to my parents and will already have a over 6 thousand owed in loans.

I really am just lacking direction at the moment. It can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. I have always wanted to work outdoors, or in media but I picked the scientific path because it's what I know my parents expected and I use to be fairly good at it before I lost my interest and subsequently motivation.

Has anyone else dropped out and if so what did you do? What options are there for someone thinking about going in a direction other than continuing University?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattP96)
    Hey everyone.
    I am in my first year studying Chemistry at University. I have never really enjoyed my educational experience and Chemistry was one of the few topics I had a genuine interest in at a lower level, I was not overly excited about the prospect of University but I decided I would go and do the subject I enjoyed most at A level. But I am just not very interested in the course at all at University and that is a problem, I have never had a problem getting good grades if I cared for something, but as soon as I lose interest that is that. I averaged about 85% across labs and exams up until this point but I feel like I am already getting behind, I don't really do any work outside of turning up for lectures and even then I am disinterested and struggle to pay attention.
    I would much rather be out working but of course opportunities are limited and I wouldn't know where to begin, not to mention I would have to explain the situation to my parents and will already have a over 6 thousand owed in loans.

I really am just lacking direction at the moment. It can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. I have always wanted to work outdoors, or in media but I picked the scientific path because it's what I know my parents expected and I use to be fairly good at it before I lost my interest and subsequently motivation.

Has anyone else dropped out and if so what did you do? What options are there for someone thinking about going in a direction other than continuing University?
    have you considered a course actually in media or you say outdoors but what do you mean would outdoor adventure management interest you or what do you mean more of a job like building. Do leave if you need to but leave with a plan.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.