Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    News just in.

Boris backs Brexit!

This is great for the leave campaign, another great figurehead. It restores my beliefs of him, that he is strong to his beliefs, and not going to give into Cameron based on promotion!

Roll on the removal from the European dictatorship!

ReputationRep:
    Great addition to the leave campaign.

ReputationRep:
    What a hero

ReputationRep:
    If the UK votes to leave the EU, this bumbling buffoon will take office and preside over unprecedented rapid decline of the UK.

Great news for Labour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    If the UK votes to leave the EU, this bumbling buffoon will take office and preside over unprecedented rapid decline of the UK.

Great news for Labour!
    David Cameron won't necessarily resign, it's just speculation.

ReputationRep:

Great news for Labour!
    London has been doing just fine with him in charge. I think his secret is he doesn't really do anything, he's learned to just let the people get on with it. If only other politicans could learn this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    David Cameron won't necessarily resign, it's just speculation.
    You think the PM won't have to resign if the UK votes to leave the EU?

Politics is brutal. He will be seen as inept. He will not be able to command authority in the House for his own domestic agenda. There is no coming back from this for Cameron.

This is essentially a referendum on Cameron's legacy. Will he be able to pull together enough capital to persuade those sitting on the fence to back him or will they desert him at a crucial time?

Looks like it's starting to become the latter in which case, the credit for if the UK does stay in the EU will go to Labour and the Conservatives are going to have to make huge concessions in domestic agenda, which they won't want to so they'll rebel against him.

Cameron won't be able to govern effectively, if at all. The only hope that Cameron had (i.e: Heavyweights backing him) is starting to vanish rapidly.

(Original post by Nununu)
    London has been doing just fine with him in charge. I think his secret is he doesn't really do anything, he's learned to just let the people get on with it. If only other politicans could learn this.
    It's easy to say that when the building blocks were founded by Livingstone. We want a person who actively plans and has a vision, not a person who keeps the seat warm.

What are Boris's major achievements whilst in office?

ReputationRep:
    You think the PM won't have to resign if the UK votes to leave the EU?

Politics is brutal. He will be seen as inept. He will not be able to command authority in the House for his own domestic agenda. There is no coming back from this for Cameron.

This is essentially a referendum on Cameron's legacy. Will he be able to pull together enough capital to persuade those sitting on the fence to back him or will they desert him at a crucial time?

Looks like it's starting to become the latter in which case, the credit for if the UK does stay in the EU will go to Labour and the Conservatives are going to have to make huge concessions in domestic agenda, which they won't want to so they'll rebel against him.

Cameron won't be able to govern effectively, if at all. The only hope that Cameron had (i.e: Heavyweights backing him) is starting to vanish rapidly.

It's easy to say that when the building blocks were founded by Livingstone. We want a person who actively plans and has a vision, not a person who keeps the seat warm.

What are Boris's major achievements whilst in office?
    What are Livingstone's. Apart from charging us for driving into central London. Government should govern at an arms length.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe the chances of a Brexit are good unfortunately, I don't trust Cameron not to scare everyone unjustly. The buffoon has embarrassed us on the national stage. Would be great if he was forced to step down after this though. His only accomplishment is keeping Labour out of power.

ReputationRep:
    The prime minister will not resign if the outcome of the referendum is aye to brexit.

Of course it will be against his political beliefs, he quite clearly stated that he will go with the public's choice. This referendum is not challenging the government, referendums do not do this. Referendums are quite simply a vote on a single issue, which the government feels the public needs to input on. It is to give the government direction regarding their policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nununu)
    What are Livingstone's. Apart from charging us for driving into central London. Government should govern at an arms length.
    In 10 years (2003-2013), the CC Zone has raised £2.6bn in revenue and £1.2bn of this has been invested into London's ageing transport infrastructure, improving it considerably.

Combine that with the push towards Oyster Cards and at this moment, you can't even imagine the ease of access that such methods have made. Livingstone tempered such policies by always looking out for our elderly and our young (free oysters), and made strategic links with developing nations which had resources (Venezuela) to fund trips for those out of work (which Johnson immediately cut and put the cost on taxpayers).

Yes, Livingstone was a controversial character and his achievements are often overlooked when people choose to attack him but he always looked out for the interests of Londoners (by tempering excesses), quite unlike Johnson whose policies have virtually landed the taxpayer with a bigger cost or has not been for the benefit of a few.

I'll be waiting for some of Boris's achievements which have not built on Livingstone's introduction, not provided a loss to the taxpayer or benefited the many.

(Original post by jamestg)
    The prime minister will not resign if the outcome of the referendum is aye to brexit.Of course it will be against his political beliefs, he quite clearly stated that he will go with the public's choice.

This referendum is not challenging the government, referendums do not do this. Referendums are quite simply a vote on a single issue, which the government feels the public needs to input on. It is to give the government direction regarding their policy.
    It depends on if he wants to immortalized as the PM who stood down because he couldn't command the House or as the PM who stood down because of his strongly held beliefs.

Either way, history won't be kind to Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god it's happening.

This is important, obviously, and possibly a game-changer.

Great news for Labour!
    You're insane if you think that. He's a very smart man with wider appeal than any other politician. Presumably he'll continue to face off against Corbyn, who is a very stupid man with narrower appeal than any other politician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Oh my god it's happening.

This is important, obviously, and possibly a game-changer.

You're insane if you think that. He's a very smart man with wider appeal than any other politician. Presumably he'll continue to face off against Corbyn, who is a very stupid man with narrower appeal than any other politician.
    Boris doesn't really know how to run things, apart from just letting things continue as they were before and no one really notices unless things start falling apart.

On an EU exit, he will have to actually start to do something and he will fail terribly because he will be navigating uncharted territory.

If he's successful in Government by 2021, then quote me then.

ReputationRep:
    Boris doesn't really know how to run things, apart from just letting things continue as they were before and no one really notices unless things start falling apart.

On an EU exit, he will have to actually start to do something and he will fail terribly because he will be navigating uncharted territory.

If he's successful in Government by 2021, then quote me then.
    It doesn't make any difference whether he can govern. He's a clever politician and a great publicist. He can command support in his party and win campaigns with the public. Absent some catastrophe attributed directly to him by the general public, the Labour Party could not challenge the Conservatives with Boris at the helm. Against a Labour Party still led by Corbyn, there's almost nothing Boris could do to lose it.

Assuming a no vote, I will quote you when he is in government in 2021.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.