Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it wrong to express views which criticise religion on TSR? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Many threads have been taken down from TSR for being anti-religous or "offensive". The PC police think its fine for us to talk about religions but not express opinions that go against them. What are your opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    Many threads have been taken down from TSR for being anti-religous or "offensive". The PC police think its fine for us to talk about religions but not express opinions that go against them. What are your opinions on this?
    I 100% agree with you. Also, thanks for the rep on my thread which got taken down.

ReputationRep:
    would this thread get taken down? xD
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't give up hope. Some people still believe in democracy and human rights, I will continue to fight censorship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    would this thread get taken down? xD
    Lol probably if someone reports it.

ReputationRep:
    What you state is exactly what Richard goes on about in "The God Delusion", as-well as correct. I won't recommend that book though, as his narrative is droning and repetitive, unfortunately.
    It seems that it's fine to argue about politics or music or the origins of our universe, but not religion. I believe it's a symptom of Tumblr-esque nanny culture. I guess its advocates realize in their subconscious that they can't defend such a murderous machine thriving on fairy tales, so they avoid all argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    What you state is exactly what Richard goes on about in "The God Delusion", as-well as correct. I won't recommend that book though, as his narrative is droning and repetitive, unfortunately.
    It seems that it's fine to argue about politics or music or the origins of our universe, but not religion. I believe it's a symptom of Tumblr-esque nanny culture. I guess it's advocates realize in their subconscious that they can't defend such a murderous machine thriving on fairy tales, so they avoid all argument?
    I've actually read the book. It was quite witty. But yeah i hate this constant god vs science argument. I don't care about religion and don't want to justify why I don't follow it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    It seems that it's fine to argue about politics or music or the origins of our universe, but not religion. I believe it's a symptom of Tumblr-esque nanny culture. I guess it's advocates realize in their subconscious that they can't defend such a murderous machine thriving on fairy tales, so they avoid all argument?
    Then i could apply hitchens razor and say that if they're not willing to provide evidence to back up their claims when an argument is provided against religion then we can dismiss religion?

ReputationRep:
    I've actually read the book. It was quite witty. But yeah i hate this constant god vs science argument. I don't care about religion and don't want to justify why I don't follow it
    It's not worth justifying. It's something you either get or you don't, and it's a waste of time arguing with someone who doesn't get it to try and educate them. It says something about the argument when it becomes "God vs Science"; defending a point of view that self-admittedly goes against the study of fact conveys a level of stupidity that just can't be quantized.

ReputationRep:
    Like it or dislike it, TSR is turning into a safe space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    Like it or dislike it, TSR is turning into a safe space.
    It's clear why. The TSR team wants to be able to market this site to advertisers with a wide target audience - non-PC threads limit that audience somewhat, so advertisers can't reach as many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    It's clear why. The TSR team wants to be able to market this site to advertisers with a wide target audience - non-PC threads limit that audience somewhat, so advertisers can't reach as many people.
    that is precisely why.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I have already had a very long discussion with CT about this topic. It really depends on which mod gets hold of the report some are reasonable others are not, I won't name them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow really? Seems things have changed since a couple of years ago..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Back when the forum wasn't ran by SJW's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    Wow really? Seems things have changed since a couple of years ago..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Back when the forum wasn't ran by SJW's
    It's not run by SJWs. It's run by people seeking a profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    It's not run by SJWs. It's run by people seeking a profit.
    The forum used to be balls deep in anti-religion threads a couple of years back and it was doing just fine then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    The forum used to be balls deep in anti-religion threads a couple of years back and it was doing just fine then.
    I assume that was before the people running this site decided to milk it for ad revenue and suchlike.

ReputationRep:
    Some TSR users are so bitter about their dislike for religion, they will go out their way to make countless threads about how evil this or that religion is yadda, yadda, and put down those who believe in a religion.
    There is a difference between criticizing vs being plain rude while acting superior because you lack faith in a religion. I don't have problems with criticizing religion but some users take their time out their day to be rude and that is not criticizing religion. Criticizing religion is questioning the beliefs and stories based on a religion not flat out assuming every follower of that religion is a savage and murderer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.