Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what do you think are my chances? geology is probably my 5th choice, the course seems so much more interesting to me than biomed/biochem and the more common 5th choices. do you know anyone who got an offer for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangepurple)
    what do you think are my chances? geology is probably my 5th choice, the course seems so much more interesting to me than biomed/biochem and the more common 5th choices. do you know anyone who got an offer for it?
    Depends on the university. You may want to contact them at the time of sending your application and explain that your PS is medicine-based, but that your application for geology is genuine. They may ask for a separate personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Becca-Sarah and would not try to amalgamate the two. I would submit a wholly medicine personal statement (anything less won't win a place) and contact the admissions tutor at your geology course directly with a very well-written email. You really need to explain how your geology application fits with your medical career plans. If you intend to pursue graduate entry medicine afterwards, I would be upfront about this. You could explain that the usual route is to choose biomedical science but geology would satisfy the entry criteria and you are fascinated by their course because of X, Y, and Z. I would be sympathetic to this if I were the geology admissions team (you've deliberately chosen geology, not biomedical science, because of an active interest and not just ticked a random BSc that you have no intention of ever studying) but others might be less understanding. I would also offer to provide them with a separate personal statement that fully explains your plans if they thought this was helpful. They might or might not take you up on this offer.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.