Forum IRC Channel Watch

This discussion is closed.
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
In the past few months I have seen this forum become very active and I believe it would be right to suggest that an IRC channel is needed. It could be suitable considering some of the chat that goes on this forum.

So tell me what you think and if you don't know what IRC is I can explain if you like.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Koloth)
if you don't know what IRC is I can explain if you like.

please do...?

love Katy ***
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I think that this would be a good idea. I think that during "term-time", it would ensure that real problems are not detracted from by the "chat" element of the board. During times when people require something simply to distract them from exams and other things it would make the "chat" element easier.

PS - Am more than aware that I myself participate in the open chatty type things, so there is little point in highlighting this.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why when i clicked the edit poll(moderators only) button does it sayi dont have permission to enter that page??

love katy***
Koloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)
please do...?

love Katy ***
It's similar to MSN Messenger in way but different in that everyone is in the same channel (room). Though you can still private message for private conversations. This site is useful in explaining it:
http://www.mirc.com/irc.html
Koloth
Rep:
?
why when i clicked the edit poll(moderators only) button does it sayi dont have permission to enter that page??

love katy***
So you can't rig the poll?
Koloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)
I think that this would be a good idea. I think that during "term-time", it would ensure that real problems are not detracted from by the "chat" element of the board. During times when people require something simply to distract them from exams and other things it would make the "chat" element easier.

PS - Am more than aware that I myself participate in the open chatty type things, so there is little point in highlighting this.
I think that non-academic discussions (like this one for example, http://www.uk-learning.net/t9435) are still useful on the board and are best to stay on the board. The threads that have conversations in them though would probably be better served in a IRC channel. It would be a lot easier to get to know people that way as well and I personally find it easier that way.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it'd be a good idea, I use IRC lots anyway.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that non-academic discussions (like this one for example, http://www.uk-learning.net/t9435) are still useful on the board and are best to stay on the board. The threads that have conversations in them though would probably be better served in a IRC channel. It would be a lot easier to get to know people that way as well and I personally find it easier that way.
I don't deny there should be a chat-room of descripts linked to the site, however I don't believe that it should be IRC. This is a chat method I cannot get excited about.

Keeping a Chat-Thread shouldn't be ruled out though, as people may not necessarily want to miss out on what happened the night before in the chat room.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
superb idea Koloth! I'm all for it.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I think that there would be MANY problems with using a dedicated thread for chat. Firstly, navigating around it would be a nightmare, especially if you do (as suggested) want to see what was said before. Secondly, after a while they just become unmanageable which makes them use nor orniment.

I think that even though some people arent a fan of its use, IRC would definitely be the way to go if a new chat element is to be set up.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So you can't rig the poll?

but i wanted to add an extra option...which makes it more accessible to everyone. (well me, because it'll fit me perfectly)

love Katy ***
Koloth
Rep:
?
but i wanted to add an extra option...which makes it more accessible to everyone. (well me, because it'll fit me perfectly)

love Katy ***
Like 'What is IRC?' .

I was hoping for it to be more constructive as it can be explained what it is in this thread .
Koloth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Expression)
I don't deny there should be a chat-room of descripts linked to the site, however I don't believe that it should be IRC. This is a chat method I cannot get excited about.
I would suggest a chat forum and academic discussions forum if users were against an IRC channel as a solution.
Though since you said this yourself not long ago:

Generally I am not a big fan of the multi forum format
Where not gonna have a solution that is going to satisfy everyone.

Keeping a Chat-Thread shouldn't be ruled out though, as people may not necessarily want to miss out on what happened the night before in the chat room.
This is similar to what we have at the moment and for many reasons including what Leekey suggests I'm not a big fan of them.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Like 'What is IRC?' .

I was hoping for it to be more constructive as it can be explained what it is in this thread .

no.

im not that normal.

if you promise to add it- ill tell you what it was going to be.

love Katy ***
Koloth
Rep:
?
no.

im not that normal.

if you promise to add it- ill tell you what it was going to be.

love Katy ***
I would promise but it doesn't seem to let me change it either.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would promise but it doesn't seem to let me change it either.

huff you've broken the buttons now.

d, darling... can you change koloths poll??

love Katy ***
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.39%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.94%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
21.01%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (55)
39.86%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (2)
1.45%
No particular grades needed (6)
4.35%