Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone know how to stop my sister from stealing my things? watch

ReputationRep:
    My younger sister (15 this year) literally won't stop stealing my things! She's been doing it as long as I can remember, but it seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of years. At the start my parents would tell her off, but now they just think I'm being petty by moaning or stealing my stuff back, and if I have a go at her, then I'm the one in the wrong! She steals pretty much anything she can find: DVDs (I'll find the case with no DVD), CDs, chargers, electrical items, games, books, clothes, make up, perfume and other personal items and then hides them / uses them. For example, I bought 3 new nail varnishes the other day, and yesterday she had already stolen them, alongside and number of other things, but when I confronted her, they were 'hers' and she's not even been in my room! She doesn't understand that I work 2 jobs to afford the things I buy, but I often end up spending double the necessary amount to replace the things that've gone missing. This month I've bought 3 new pack of tights because I can only wear a pair once before never seeing them again!

I can't put a lock on my door, and I do steal my own stuff back but she'll just steal them again so its a silent war where no one says anything...

It's really frustrating, and I'm going to uni in September, but I would prefer to take the things that I buy with me tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Start taking her stuff and see how she likes it

ReputationRep:
    Beat her at her own game or ruin her things, cut her dresses up or something.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    My sister is exactly the same. I've confronted her so many times and she usually completely denies it. I just ended up hiding my stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take hers too. I do it!

ReputationRep:
    Update! So I went in her room earlier to pinch my stuff back, left it hidden on my bed until I can hide it because I have holiday homework to do for tomorrow so didn't have time. She's gone in my room whilst I've been busy and has pinched it all back, like all of it. and is now pretending like nothing has even happened! FFS. now I'm going to have to waste my free period tomorrow going through her room. And, I don't want to steal her things because then I'd lose the high ground...

ReputationRep:
    I know the exact same feeling. My sister takes my stuff, doesn't wash it, doesn't return it, loses it or damages it but if I take my stuff back or confront her I'm in the wrong. Stuff like clothes, makeup, perfume, Jewellery (my girlfriend bought me a promise ring with our names engraved, it's really special to us. I don't take it out every day as I'm afraid that I'll lose it - she took it and lost it which upset me and my girlfriend who saved up for ages for it) I'm working on buying myself another as apparently it's "my responsibility (even though she lost it) She even takes my knickers when she can't be bothered to wash hers which is the absolute bottom line for me. To be honest, she has a job, more than enough money to buy her own clothes etc but she spends all her money on food and alcohol. I wouldn't mind as much if she'd just ask, rather than having all my hard earned stuff disappear - but she never does. I've tried everything, confronting her, talking to my parents etc it doesn't work.

Solutions - ITCHING POWDER (really cheap from eBay) hide the clothes that you wear the most and make sure to put itching powder in the clothes/stuff she steals the most. This way, she'll get her punishment for stealing your stuff as well as providing you with evidence that she actually is taking your stuff. You could also put a lock on your room or do what I do and steal her stuff back - she won't like it but she'll learn that it's not nice to have her stuff taken.

ReputationRep:
    She appears to have stopped for now tbh... I wrote her a snarky letter about how I have 2 jobs to pay for things etc so it annoys me when she acts all innocent etc. I did notice she'd stolen my perfume the other day but I really can't be bothered to argue about it anymore. She'll wear my underwear al the time e.g. she'll wear my socks or something and when i say "they're my socks", she's like, "I know, they were in my cupboard". It's so irritating! I don't think it'll ever get completely solved as I think it just comes with the sibling territory but it'll still be incredibly annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Set up a little nice treat for her like a perfume. Put something in it that will have a bad effect like for an example, dirty dish water. Get itching powder and put it in the underwear so when she steals it, it'll make her not want to steal it again. If she could fronts you about it. Play innocent. Put your dirty clothes in your dresser and clean clothes wherever you usually put your dirty clothes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.