Anyone know how to stop my sister from stealing my things?

Watch this thread
StarGirlFrankie
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My younger sister (15 this year) literally won't stop stealing my things! She's been doing it as long as I can remember, but it seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of years. At the start my parents would tell her off, but now they just think I'm being petty by moaning or stealing my stuff back, and if I have a go at her, then I'm the one in the wrong! She steals pretty much anything she can find: DVDs (I'll find the case with no DVD), CDs, chargers, electrical items, games, books, clothes, make up, perfume and other personal items and then hides them / uses them. For example, I bought 3 new nail varnishes the other day, and yesterday she had already stolen them, alongside and number of other things, but when I confronted her, they were 'hers' and she's not even been in my room! She doesn't understand that I work 2 jobs to afford the things I buy, but I often end up spending double the necessary amount to replace the things that've gone missing. This month I've bought 3 new pack of tights because I can only wear a pair once before never seeing them again!

I can't put a lock on my door, and I do steal my own stuff back but she'll just steal them again so its a silent war where no one says anything...

It's really frustrating, and I'm going to uni in September, but I would prefer to take the things that I buy with me tbh...
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Start taking her stuff and see how she likes it
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Beat her at her own game or ruin her things, cut her dresses up or something.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My sister is exactly the same. I've confronted her so many times and she usually completely denies it. I just ended up hiding my stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Questions27168
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Take hers too. I do it!
StarGirlFrankie
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Update! So I went in her room earlier to pinch my stuff back, left it hidden on my bed until I can hide it because I have holiday homework to do for tomorrow so didn't have time. She's gone in my room whilst I've been busy and has pinched it all back, like all of it. and is now pretending like nothing has even happened! FFS. now I'm going to have to waste my free period tomorrow going through her room. And, I don't want to steal her things because then I'd lose the high ground...
jesschantellexxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I know the exact same feeling. My sister takes my stuff, doesn't wash it, doesn't return it, loses it or damages it but if I take my stuff back or confront her I'm in the wrong. Stuff like clothes, makeup, perfume, Jewellery (my girlfriend bought me a promise ring with our names engraved, it's really special to us. I don't take it out every day as I'm afraid that I'll lose it - she took it and lost it which upset me and my girlfriend who saved up for ages for it) I'm working on buying myself another as apparently it's "my responsibility (even though she lost it) She even takes my knickers when she can't be bothered to wash hers which is the absolute bottom line for me. To be honest, she has a job, more than enough money to buy her own clothes etc but she spends all her money on food and alcohol. I wouldn't mind as much if she'd just ask, rather than having all my hard earned stuff disappear - but she never does. I've tried everything, confronting her, talking to my parents etc it doesn't work.

Solutions - ITCHING POWDER (really cheap from eBay) hide the clothes that you wear the most and make sure to put itching powder in the clothes/stuff she steals the most. This way, she'll get her punishment for stealing your stuff as well as providing you with evidence that she actually is taking your stuff. You could also put a lock on your room or do what I do and steal her stuff back - she won't like it but she'll learn that it's not nice to have her stuff taken.
StarGirlFrankie
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
She appears to have stopped for now tbh... I wrote her a snarky letter about how I have 2 jobs to pay for things etc so it annoys me when she acts all innocent etc. I did notice she'd stolen my perfume the other day but I really can't be bothered to argue about it anymore. She'll wear my underwear al the time e.g. she'll wear my socks or something and when i say "they're my socks", she's like, "I know, they were in my cupboard". It's so irritating! I don't think it'll ever get completely solved as I think it just comes with the sibling territory but it'll still be incredibly annoying.
Toolazytomakez
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Set up a little nice treat for her like a perfume. Put something in it that will have a bad effect like for an example, dirty dish water. Get itching powder and put it in the underwear so when she steals it, it'll make her not want to steal it again. If she could fronts you about it. Play innocent. Put your dirty clothes in your dresser and clean clothes wherever you usually put your dirty clothes.
elshephe123
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
My sister is the same and i shouldnt have to hide my stuff and i take my things back when shes in the shower but she keeps taking them back when im not in my room.my makeup and all the glam stuff i use for room decor but i have to hide if i want to keep it!!what should i do ???
elshephe123
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by StarGirlFrankie)
She appears to have stopped for now tbh... I wrote her a snarky letter about how I have 2 jobs to pay for things etc so it annoys me when she acts all innocent etc. I did notice she'd stolen my perfume the other day but I really can't be bothered to argue about it anymore. She'll wear my underwear al the time e.g. she'll wear my socks or something and when i say "they're my socks", she's like, "I know, they were in my cupboard". It's so irritating! I don't think it'll ever get completely solved as I think it just comes with the sibling territory but it'll still be incredibly annoying.
my sister is the same but i use my makeup and other glam stuff as room decor and she takes it but no matter how many times she takes it back, i confront her, i tell my dad or just saying hey you borrowed this can i have it back(because then shes sometimes like "oh ye here you go") then i get it back (sometimes)
and we shouldnt have to hide our OWN STUFF bc ITS OURS!!!

if possible i suggest hiding a camera in your room weather its your omputer recording or something (idk) then you can catch her and be like "you were saying!!!!!"

go on my chat and help me get me to !!!
bc i dont know what to do iehter
Meggie.c
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Omfg my sister does this! my knickers are bottom lineee but you carry on even after me obviously hinting that I don’t like what’s she doing and she needs to stop but she hasn’t plus I recently got an iPhone 8 Plus I was really excited not only the fact of having a new phone but the new head phones I’d get with it I’m infuriated they’ve gone missing and I’m almost certain she took them now random apple headphones have been going round the house but not the original ones I got a few weeks ago!! I was using a pair last night that are quieter in one ear than the other to watch YouTube these same pair are still in my room at this moment but my sister claims she got them from her room like are you kidding .. you’re saying that there are now two pairs of identically broken headphones I think not !! How do I win the argument over them with her ?? All I want is the original pair back myyy headphones 😩 I’m so done
aliceangel120
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't have a sister-I have a brother but he's the same way. He steals my yearbooks, hides them, and acts innocent when I confront him about it. We have an ongoing war over who owns which pair of earbuds. I've hidden some things he's stolen (like my good mechanical pencils) but he's also broken my special squishy grip mechanical pencils the ones I love! He bent them so badly they were useless! Recently, I was on my Chromebook doing homework and listening to music, when he stormed in and claimed I took HIS earbuds! I said no, I didn't, and go get your own headphones cuz he has like 3 pairs on his bookshelf, and he tore my headphones out of the socket and walked away with them! I ran after him and we fought over it, and I did get it back, but he tore a wire loose from the earbuds and then they wouldn't work in one ear! Thanks a lot! I just got them replaced today, but I am SO DONE with him taking my stuff and outright taking them from me! I've had to rely on my Bluetooth headphones for weeks because of his selfishness! Ugh! I cannot WAIT until he goes off to college and I can go in my room without feeling like he's taken something! Most of the time, I don't like leaving the house when he's going to be alone, because I know he will beeline straight to my room and take all of my chargers, adapters, headphones, yearbooks, pencils among other things.
samuel noonan
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
just steal her stuff hide it somewhere different than your room and say YOU didn't do it,she`ll get frustrated and look in your room well shes doing that go into her room steal your stuff back you will have enough time because she will still be looking in there catch her in the act and confront her you did it you caught her in the act and got your stuff back when you get your stuff back hide it somewhere different other than your room or the other option is hide your phone in your room and push record on camera you will get footage of her stealing your tuff show it to her and confront her
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
If you cant get a lock for your door. Get like a big storagebox and put all the things loke makeup and stuff your sister might take. And you can lock the box.
And as for clothes is there anyway you can get a lock for your closet?
I know exactly how you must be feeling. My sister is kinda better than your sister though. She doesnt steal that much. But im really annoyed at her as well.
Is she not scared of you?
If you are going to college soon, this problem will be over soon right? Since you can take everything with you?
Queeny2511
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
My older sister does something similar, only with clothes, but she use two ways. Or she borrows something and then never returns it or she takes my clothes after washing them when they're drying and when I asked her about them she just says thing like:
Emilyy714
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Sisters really suck. they take ya stuff and you find it months later, broken and ruined. my sister also wears my underwear and takes my clothes but you know, you learn to live. she often goes through my phone and takes photos to send to my friends and this more than often results in some arguments. they always deny it but you often can't prove it. i say just 1, put your clean underwear somewhere it doesnt go, shuffle your room around, make it topsy turvy and so that only YOU know where everyhing goes. 2 find a way to catch her in there, pretend to be out when you're really under your bed, stay quiet and then catch her! have a friend tell her to stop, make it a threat! take something of hers and hold it hostage until she gives your possesions back!
Janicewashington
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello I’m sorry but I’m curious if it ever stopped? I have a sister who now is almost 30 and she has been a nightmare my whole life. It started in hs she would take my things. I was ok with her borrowing clothes and such but she would steal, lie and idk give my clothes away? Or lose them.. I can’t actually recall important pieces gone. She then stole a very expensive new Tiffany’s bracelet my friend let me borrow. I had to scream and go crazy for months before it magically appeared back in my room. My friend was so upset and I didn’t have the money for it. Then I moved out. We were ok then or so I thought. Big mistake. She would come to my house and steal from me and my roommate. Long term. No respect for anyone but herself. Me and my roommate who was my best friend are no longer friends because of this. I didn’t believe my best friend idk why but my sister is a very good manipulator. After this a year later I moved back home and it continued. I would just take the stuff back most of the time but I had a lock on my door. She would break in through the window and figured out how to credit card in. Then I had a child w my husband and my parents have a huge property. They built a house for us. She was extremely jealous of me at this point and tried to beat me up many times so I cut her off. I would pass her in the main house and around the property and be nice but she honestly is evil.. no other way to put it. She started throwing away my child’s toys. A baby... at first it was small things his cars I found them in the garbage. Now she takes huge items one was over $100 and I took it out of the trash in time. My parents know it’s a problem and can’t stop it yet they won’t kick her out. There are a whole slew of more issues w her now. As she got older she got worse. Confrontational violent angry about something in her life. It seems like jealousy of some sort. I have caught her bashing my name many times. And she was videotaping me too. Imagine trying to live with a newborn baby and this crazy person is secretly taping you. It’s sick. These people need some therapy. We thought we would live in the house they built for a while but we are ready to go. I’ve cried about this ALOT for years. I’m sorry to say but it more than likely will not stop and you have to cut the person off. I read all the stories on here. I’m sorry to all of you for what has happened. Please look up narcissism online. It’s some sort of personality disorder where they control and manipulate. I am a narcissist victim and there are ways to move on with your life. Cutting contact w these types are hard since it’s your family but you will be better off. Trust me. This is a toxic person that focuses on someone to hurt them goes to the next and the next. Be careful.
Maisie0103
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I treated myself to the first expensive underwear I’d ever gotten (Calvin Klein) and my sister used them all and left each pair in the 4 pack at a different friends house that she slept at!
Maisie0103
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jesschantellexxx)
I know the exact same feeling. My sister takes my stuff, doesn't wash it, doesn't return it, loses it or damages it but if I take my stuff back or confront her I'm in the wrong. Stuff like clothes, makeup, perfume, Jewellery (my girlfriend bought me a promise ring with our names engraved, it's really special to us. I don't take it out every day as I'm afraid that I'll lose it - she took it and lost it which upset me and my girlfriend who saved up for ages for it) I'm working on buying myself another as apparently it's "my responsibility (even though she lost it) She even takes my knickers when she can't be bothered to wash hers which is the absolute bottom line for me. To be honest, she has a job, more than enough money to buy her own clothes etc but she spends all her money on food and alcohol. I wouldn't mind as much if she'd just ask, rather than having all my hard earned stuff disappear - but she never does. I've tried everything, confronting her, talking to my parents etc it doesn't work.

Solutions - ITCHING POWDER (really cheap from eBay) hide the clothes that you wear the most and make sure to put itching powder in the clothes/stuff she steals the most. This way, she'll get her punishment for stealing your stuff as well as providing you with evidence that she actually is taking your stuff. You could also put a lock on your room or do what I do and steal her stuff back - she won't like it but she'll learn that it's not nice to have her stuff taken.
Helpful tips, but I share a room with mine 😂😞
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
20.41%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.16%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.2%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (14)
28.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
24.49%

Watched Threads