The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

MSc ACS Computer Security or other specialization?

Hello guys,

I am going to UK next year for master so I did my applications and I got accepted by Manchester for MSc ACS Computer Security.Is anyone studying this course or has anyone experience with master courses in computing at this university?
I would like to know which modules are mandatory,if they have theoritical or practical approach and if it's worth it in contrast with other universities like bristol.

Thank you!
Reply 1
No one has any experience in computing at Manchester? :frown:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 3
I searched it and as they writen in handbook you must choose 2 themes for 1 semester (means 4 courses) and 1 theme for 2nd semester (means 2 courses) plus the research mandatory course. I think it's very intensive and that's why I ask for an opinion from someone with experience if possible in msc at Manchester. Did you study at UoM?
I'm not sure how much this means but there are 12 unis in the UK whilst are GCHQ approved to be the gold-standard in security masters. Then again, GCHQ may be looking for different qualities than a business - I'm not sure.

Best of luck in your decision.
Reply 5
I know that information and that's why I am thinking about Lancaster MSc Cybersecurity which is recognised by GCHQ. However, the reputation between Manchester and Lancaster is not the same in Computing and I am confused which to choose :confused:
Reply 6
A MSc involves completing 180 credits.

The three mandatory units for your MSc course add up to the sum of 60 (30+15+15). This leaves you with 120 credits to use when selecting "optional" units for your course. Each optional unit is worth 15 credits according to the UoM website.

So you will need to select 8 "optional" units (8x15 credits) over the academic year on top of the mandatory units (60 credits) to obtain the required sum of 180 credits for a MSc.

Ideally you should study units that add up to the total of 60 credits for each semester (there are three semesters in one academic year). But this may differ between courses so I am not entirely sure for your MSc course.

Manchester is a research intense university so a lot of independent study will be involved - lecturers are busy "researching" as opposed to teaching. You will have to be self-driven and motivated if you want to do well at Manchester. So yes, it will be "intense" as you are responsible for your own learning.

I have no experience with Lancaster so I can't give you any insight to their university. From what I am aware of, Manchester pioneered Computer Science so the department should be excellent - please do correct me if I am wrong.

How about checking the entry requirements and tuition fees from the respective universities? Usually the higher fee of tuition and requirement for entry indicate a more popular/competitive/respected course.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for your information.I checked the courses and seems that it's a general master.However, do anyone know about how is life in manchester? I know is an industrial city and I am coming from a small city, does it have parks or anything to escape from the city atmosphere?
Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by phil11
Thank you for your information.I checked the courses and seems that it's a general master.However, do anyone know about how is life in manchester? I know is an industrial city and I am coming from a small city, does it have parks or anything to escape from the city atmosphere?
Thank you!

No problem. I enjoy studying and living in Manchester - been here for 4 years now! I am from another industrial city (Birmingham) so it wasn't much of a problem.

There are plenty of parks nearby and things to do in Manchester. There is also an "International Society" on Oxford Road which arranges events to escape from the city. Definitely worth checking out: http://internationalsociety.org.uk/

All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending