Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to Cambridge, its only 'hoping' right now, but I should get the right grades, so we'll see. I was wondering whether, when applying, they take into account extra-curricular qualifications. For example, I have Grade 8 Piano and was also signed to a reasonably high profile EDM record label for a couple of years from Feb 2014 - Nov 2015. Would this help in sticking out as a potential candidate as it showcases ability to be dedicated in multiple areas? Just wondering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archie Taylor)
    I'm hoping to go to Cambridge, its only 'hoping' right now, but I should get the right grades, so we'll see. I was wondering whether, when applying, they take into account extra-curricular qualifications. For example, I have Grade 8 Piano and was also signed to a reasonably high profile EDM record label for a couple of years from Feb 2014 - Nov 2015. Would this help in sticking out as a potential candidate as it showcases ability to be dedicated in multiple areas? Just wondering!
    No. They want someone gifted in the subject they are applying for. Anything else is pretty irrelevant, although that isn't to deny the achievement.

ReputationRep:
    From talking to an ex-Cambridge student the advice I was given was to put anything on your PS that shows a level of dedication and commitment that might separate you from students with similar A level grades. Most music gradings also add to your UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    From talking to an ex-Cambridge student the advice I was given was to put anything on your PS that shows a level of dedication and commitment that might separate you from students with similar A level grades. Most music gradings also add to your UCAS points.
    Cambridge does not care about ucas points.
    Extra-curricular not related to the subject you're applying for is irrelevant for Cambridge application. The only thing they're interested in is your ability and potential in your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archie Taylor)
    It maybe somewhat relevant to music (although only Grade 5 Piano is technically required). For anything else it is irrelevant. However, other universities may well care about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Cambridge does not care about ucas points.
    Extra-curricular not related to the subject you're applying for is irrelevant for Cambridge application. The only thing they're interested in is your ability and potential in your subject.
    I agree with this. ECs are important and should be mentioned only if they are directly related to the subject you are applying for.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I don't think so. I wasn't asked at all about my piano in my interview.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    I agree with this. ECs are important and should be mentioned only if they are directly related to the subject you are applying for.
    Are you missing a "... not ..."?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Are you missing a "... not ..."?

LOL, OK, I've got a good editor! YOu are correct. Writing 1010 mistake from a professional writer!

I should have written: "ECs are important - and should be mentioned - only if directly related...."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.