16Characters....
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,

I have been far too unproductive this half-term holiday so I am putting on a new drive for the start of the new half-term.

Short Term Targets 21/02/16:
Spoiler:
Show

- Work on timings for STEP II and III
- D1 practice, this is the only maths module I am not confident about
- Prepare for my upcoming physics ISA and maths courseworks

Long Term Targets:
Spoiler:
Show

In August 2016 achieve:
- A* Mathematics
- A* Further Mathematics
- A Physics or above
- Not failing STEP II and III
First Update (21/02/16)
Spoiler:
Show
Today:

- I did a D1 paper (Jan 2001. Got 54/60 marks which I was happy with, I felt a little rough around the edges on the D1 stuff so hopefully with a bit of practice I should get D1 under control.

- Completed STEP III 2002 Questions 1 and 2 under timed conditions. Q1 took me 51 mins and I got 15/20 due to forgetting to show the diagonals were congruent. The timing worried me slightly since there was nothing overly difficult or long in it. Q2 took 24 mins however and was entirely correct so overall this timed session went pretty well.

- Will do some mechanics collisions practice this evening.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess you'll have to STEP up your game. Good luck .
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck!!!
Indeterminate
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're easily good enough to take care of those STEP papers, so just do your thing!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

EDIT: How about "A STEP in the right direction" for the title? :beard:
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Totally in - to everybody else reading: this guy is a total beast. STEP will take a beating from him. :lol:
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
Totally in - to everybody else reading: this guy is a total beast. STEP will take a beating from him. :lol:
You have some competition
tinkerbella~
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope that this blog serves as the STEPping stones to your success.
SaadKaleem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Best of luck!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
maybe listen to this while you are revising:

16Characters....
Rep:
?
Thanks :-) You are all clearly much better than I at coming up with funny STEP puns.
16Characters....
Rep:
?
Update 22/02/2016

Spoiler:
Show

- Did some coursework and physics revision.

- Did some vectors work.

- Then did STEP III 2000 Q3. Again took a tad longer than I would have liked at 53 minutes. It was my timings in the first half of the question which were off, much like yesterday with Q1. So not wasting time on the earlier first parts will definitely be a priority from now on, so long as I do not do anything stupid at an early stage, of course.

- I then started STEP III 2000 Q4 to do as a timed question. I stopped timing after about 20 minutes and 3 failed attempts to do the first part :-) In the end I had to look at a line of the mark scheme to realise that I was not miles off, I was just treating it as a quadratic in the wrong bloody variable . The next part went also quite badly, though I took a quick break and completed the question far more easily after this.

Naruke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 16Characters....)
Update 22/02/2016
Spoiler:
Show

- Did some coursework and physics revision.

- Did some vectors work.

- Then did STEP III 2000 Q3. Again took a tad longer than I would have liked at 53 minutes. It was my timings in the first half of the question which were off, much like yesterday with Q1. So not wasting time on the earlier first parts will definitely be a priority from now on, so long as I do not do anything stupid at an early stage, of course.

- I then started STEP III 2000 Q4 to do as a timed question. I stopped timing after about 20 minutes and 3 failed attempts to do the first part :-) In the end I had to look at a line of the mark scheme to realise that I was not miles off, I was just treating it as a quadratic in the wrong bloody variable . The next part went also quite badly, though I took a quick break and completed the question far more easily after this.

I apologise for doing this, but STEP doesn't need you, as much as I do at the moment.

Could you explain to me why in this solution they don't use the general formula for finding a term in a geometric series  ar^n^-^1 and instead use  ar^n However, they use the general formula in this question. What's the difference?
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Calling in TheOtherSide. to help you STEP up yo game :indiff:
Spoiler:
Show
Sucked Ik, but all the best!
16Characters....
Rep:
?
(Original post by Naruke)
I apologise for doing this, but STEP doesn't need you, as much as I do at the moment.

Could you explain to me why in this solution they don't use the general formula for finding a term in a geometric series  ar^n^-^1 and instead use  ar^n However, they use the general formula in this question. What's the difference?
Those two questions are identical, wrong link?

Anyway I remember your issues from last time. Your general formula ar^{n-1} for the nth term of a geometric progression of first term a and common ratio r is completely correct. The reason why in some cases they are using ar^n is quite simpla and is best explain with an example.

Suppose I open a savings account and deposit £a into it. Every year I get 4% interest, i.e. every year my money increases by a factor of 1.04.

Then initially I have £a
After 1 year I have £ 1.04a
After 2 years I have £1.04 * 1.04a
After 3 years I have £1.04^3 * a

etc. Notice that this is a geometric sequence of first term a and common ratio 1.04. But the balance after N years is NOT the Nth term in our sequence. Because we include the first value, £a, everything has been shifted down a place and now the balance after N years is actually the N+1st term in the sequence. And the N+1st term is ar^{N+1 - 1} = ar^N

Hope this helps.
Naruke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 16Characters....)
Those two questions are identical, wrong link?

Anyway I remember your issues from last time. Your general formula ar^{n-1} for the nth term of a geometric progression of first term a and common ratio r is completely correct. The reason why in some cases they are using ar^n is quite simpla and is best explain with an example.

Suppose I open a savings account and deposit £a into it. Every year I get 4% interest, i.e. every year my money increases by a factor of 1.04.

Then initially I have £a
After 1 year I have £ 1.04a
After 2 years I have £1.04 * 1.04a
After 3 years I have £1.04^3 * a

etc. Notice that this is a geometric sequence of first term a and common ratio 1.04. But the balance after N years is NOT the Nth term in our sequence. Because we include the first value, £a, everything has been shifted down a place and now the balance after N years is actually the N+1st term in the sequence. And the N+1st term is ar^{N+1 - 1} = ar^N

Hope this helps.
Ohhh, yes, I understand now. Thank you man! You're number 1 for explanations.
16Characters....
Rep:
?
(Original post by Naruke)
Ohhh, yes, I understand now. Thank you man! You're number 1 for explanations.
Thanks and no problem, glad you get it now.
TheOtherSide.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
Calling in TheOtherSide. to help you STEP up yo game :indiff:
Spoiler:
Show
Sucked Ik, but all the best!
The most important thing to remember is to take things one STEP at a time.
Spoiler:
Show
All the good ones were taken
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheOtherSide.)
The most important thing to remember is to take things one STEP at a time.
Spoiler:
Show
All the good ones were taken
A STEP IIwards the light :|
TheOtherSide.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
A STEP IIwards the light :|
It's like you're always one STEP ahead of me with all these puns.

Spoiler:
Show
Will this ever stop...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?