• Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    So there are some of us who either have to do a placement or have chosen to do a placement as part of their course.

How do you manage the competing priorities - university requirements and placement requirements? Is there a structure to manage the two/is there leeway when it is necessary, or is it more ad hoc?

For me, placement takes up a significant proportion of my time. Last year is was four days a week with some university weeks and holidays, this year there are fewer days that i am in university but i still have a lot to do for it. This year i am mostly working three days a week on placement, with university work filling the other days. A big issue for me is being 60 miles away from the university and all its resources, including the library and tutors when you want advice. I am also having to write around 35k words in my time away from placement, as well as an assignment (now handed in) and a presentation

So what about the rest of you? How do you manage it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I could see this being applicable to quite a few people, I also find this is true of people who work full time in addition to doing uni full time :eek:

ReputationRep:
    you sound a lot like me! lol

im working 4 days each week 70 miles from my home city and uni in a company that's relevant to my degree with two days a week at uni and in april ill have a placement on Mondays in addition to that and then after April ill have a three day placement during the summer along with my job and night surveys for a local group (relevant to the career im after). I manage by doing my uni work in the evenings, seeing my boyfriend Thursday nights or staying overnight on the weekend and leaving in the mornings for work and on Wednesday afternoons as I only have a 9-1 lecture. I joke that Wednesday half days are like a weekend for me as its the least busiest day of the week
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    I could see this being applicable to quite a few people, I also find this is true of people who work full time in addition to doing uni full time :eek:
    Not that there's many people like that, luckily for them! I imagine even working part time (and I'm not talking about a part time job you might get as a student necessarily, although of course some people will work a lot) and doing a part time uni course is difficult enough (which is kind of what I'm doing I suppose!)

(Original post by PinkAcid)
    you sound a lot like me! lol

im working 4 days each week 70 miles from my home city and uni in a company that's relevant to my degree with two days a week at uni and in april ill have a placement on Mondays in addition to that and then after April ill have a three day placement during the summer along with my job and night surveys for a local group (relevant to the career im after). I manage by doing my uni work in the evenings, seeing my boyfriend Thursday nights or staying overnight on the weekend and leaving in the mornings for work and on Wednesday afternoons as I only have a 9-1 lecture. I joke that Wednesday half days are like a weekend for me as its the least busiest day of the week
    Wow that does sound busy! I do at least live near my placement, so I spend most of my time here. It's only when I've got weeks/odd days in university that I need to travel, but not having everything close by does make the uni part of it more difficult). It is helpful to get work experience for when you graduate and want to get jobs

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.