Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12, doing French, history, psychology, art
    - How is everyone coping right now because I'm struggling so much to have the time to get all my basic HW done and revise on top of it - especially for French - and having to do a couple of shifts a week and a driving lesson? Plus I need time to relax and wind down? Struggling so much with time keeping I'm breaking down every week and I'm desperate for As, feel like I'm working so hard and it's not getting me anywhere
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit with managing your time. Have you spoken to your teachers about it? It could be that you're not using your time as effectively as you could be, so with some different revision techniques (it can take a while to figure out exactly what works best for you) you might be able to study just as hard, and not be so stressed out. Might it also be possible to postpone the driving lessons for a while, until after exams have finished? When I was in sixth form loads of people at my college passed their test in the summer between year 12 and 13.

I hope you figure out a way to better manage your time soon. Hopefully after your art coursework is done, you'll only have three subjects to revise for, so that might take the weight off a little.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frxgmxmx)
    - How is everyone coping right now because I'm struggling so much to have the time to get all my basic HW done and revise on top of it - especially for French - and having to do a couple of shifts a week and a driving lesson? Plus I need time to relax and wind down? Struggling so much with time keeping I'm breaking down every week and I'm desperate for As, feel like I'm working so hard and it's not getting me anywhere
    I had a similar problem just a few weeks ago. I have been selling designer clothes, shoes and phones ever since I finished my GCSE's. I spent a lot of time finding the best items for the best price and selling them for a good profit. I think I used to spend like 14 hours a week on that at a minimum. Soon in year 12, I too struggled to do hw and revise for mocks/tests. I am being honest here, I saw my grades and regretted my "business". Realising I wasted too much time on it, I am stopping my trade/word until holidays. Now I realise and appreciate how much time I have to sort my flipping life out.

I would suggest you do the same about your activities/work(or try too or reduce shifts or something) as you have about 12 weeks till exams and you don't want to end up regretting your activities.

ReputationRep:
    it's just hard...
    i am also doing psychology and all the subjects are harder
    so basically just have a timetable and stick to it

ReputationRep:
    I'm year 13... Let me know when you work it out

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same situation and also feel like collapsing and just kinda giving up. However that being said I think its great at times to take a step back and plan your week ahead so you wont get too over whelmed.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I've been here, and quite honestly I still am! It just feels like there's too much to do and not enough time to do it all.
    I manage it by:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - 2 minute rule - If it take no more than 2 minutes, get it out the way first. Emails, phone calls, all those little things, do them first. It means they're out the way and you feel like you've done something!

- Stay after hours. My college always finishes at 12:30 on a Friday, which is a godsend because I always stay until 3 to do my art. I understand this may not be the case for you, but even staying an extra hour after college can help greatly. You have your teachers around if you need assistance with homework/studying and its a good environment to get stuff done!

- Make the most of your free periods. If you do have frees then make sure you are working in them! Opening a textbook, writing a few lines then talking to your friends does not constitute work (I'm guilty of this ). You need to be strict with yourself.

- Skip a few things. By this, I mean maybe you don't need to do a bit of homework or only need to do half of it. It's okay to not do a few things every now and then. I quite often miss wider reading tasks because I'm too busy doing revision or homework! Don't feel guilty if you do this every other week or so! My counselor told me not to get caught up on it because sometimes we don't have enough time to do everything and somethings have to make way for others!

- Talk to your teachers. This is really important. Make sure they know you're having difficulty, that they give too much homework or you can't keep up. Tell your tutor or any college official or even the counselor there! Make sure they know what's going on, they will be more sympathetic if you do miss a homework or a deadline or do not so good in a test. If they're any good, they'll understand.

- Is what you're doing all necessary? I do 4 AS subjects and recently I had a progress report and evaluation (by my own demand) to see if it would be better for me to drop one of them. You only need 3 for uni! Also, are all your other commitments really necessary? Driving, I get how important that is. Do you have to work so many shifts? Could you work a little less? Sometimes we need to make sacrifices in order to have time for other things!

- Other commitments! If you do a lot of chores, see if you can get someone else to do them for a little bit. The night before an exam, my parents always make my sister do the washing up so I have a little extra time to revise. Or sometimes I use the time to relax a little, God knows I need it :yawn:.

- As for relaxing, make time! This is so important! I normally get home around 3:30 due to travel, so I give myself until 4 for have a little break. Make a cup of tea, talk to your family, play with any pets you might have, lay on your bed and shut your eyes for a little bit. Just make a little time for yourself, even if it's just half an hour. Also, try revising only 6 days a week, to give your brain a break. I tend to take saturdays or sundays off so I can spend the day doing non-college/work related things. As you get closer to your exams, you may need to change this, but for now it should be fine!
    Sorry for such a long post, I hope some of this helped! I really wish you all the best and hope things work out! Remember, you are not alone in this. Most people I know feel like there's too much to do, including myself. It's hard, but it's worth it!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.