Handwritten notes vs typed notes

Watch this thread
honeydr
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
which is the best way to make notes by typing or writing them. I personally like writing notes but i feel like theyre too time consuming so thats why i type instead
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I prefer to type all of my notes, because that way it's easier to edit/update them, and it also means that I can keep all of my notes together in documents/folders on my laptop, rather than having to search through heavy ring-binders and lever arch folders trying to find the notes I need
glassriver
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Typed notes are easier to read but I think you learn more when you write because you're thinking about what you're doing as you go.
KyleBroflovski
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by honeydr)
which is the best way to make notes by typing or writing them. I personally like writing notes but i feel like theyre too time consuming so thats why i type instead
Handwritten. They're much much better. When you type you usually don't learn while doing it. In handwriting you remember the stuff you write
yepthatsme
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
HANDWRITTEN. You're not faffing around trying to highlight on the laptop, trying to draw diagrams. And seen as my subjects are fairly diagram based, handwritten notes are a necessity really.
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I do both
The more complex topics I write by hand but I print out diagrams and stuff
The benefit of typing up is that it looks much neater, I do this for simple topics.
Tables are love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pathway
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I find it easier to type and have done since A-Levels, but I know most people prefer handwritten notes. I assume my preference for typed notes is due to the fact that currently, at university, my notes for exams can (start out, before being condensed/edited) end up being at 10-15 (sometimes more :eek:) pages which would take far too much time to write out by hand. Additionally, I don't write in exams anyway due to my disability (I either type or have a scribe write for me), so that might be why I have a stronger preference for typed notes.

But, y'know, everyone's different.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I heard at University lectures nowdays, students video their lectures ....
Bubblewrap167
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pathway)
I find it easier to type and have done since A-Levels, but I know most people prefer handwritten notes. I assume my preference for typed notes is due to the fact that currently, at university, my notes for exams can (start out, before being condensed/edited) end up being at 10-15 (sometimes more :eek:) pages which would take far too much time to write out by hand. Additionally, I don't write in exams anyway due to my disability (I either type or have a scribe write for me), so that might be why I have a stronger preference for typed notes.

But, y'know, everyone's different.
If you don't mind me asking, what type of disability do you have?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I always used to write out notes summarizing text books

However now I use resources sheets our teachers give us and I highlight my CGP revision guide. Using these as a set of notes. Then lots of questions and past paper.
I study maths bio history chem

Remember recall and practice will help you remember.
Pathway
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bubblewrap167)
If you don't mind me asking, what type of disability do you have?
Well, I have access to a scribe/computer for my physical disability, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobile type. So if I've recently dislocated shoulders writing can be very difficult for example (I'm also ambidextrous, so sometimes I can just write with the other hand). Having said that, over the years it's gotten worse and writing for even short lengths of time (e.g. ~10 minutes) can be impossible. Sometimes typing can be hard to do as well (hence the scribe in exams) and then I don't type, I just talk at my laptop and it writes what I say.
Bubblewrap167
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Well, I have access to a scribe/computer for my physical disability, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobile type. So if I've recently dislocated shoulders writing can be very difficult for example (I'm also ambidextrous, so sometimes I can just write with the other hand). Having said that, over the years it's gotten worse and writing for even short lengths of time (e.g. ~10 minutes) can be impossible. Sometimes typing can be hard to do as well (hence the scribe in exams) and then I don't type, I just talk at my laptop and it writes what I say.
It must be difficult but you're doing fine so I guess thats what counts
Pathway
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bubblewrap167)
It must be difficult but you're doing fine so I guess thats what counts
Yeah. It's all about finding what works for you!
Don Pedro K.
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I do a mix; I have handwritten notes and then I make questions based on the handwritten notes in Word and save the questions in specific folders. Then when I revise stuff, I highlight my notes, re-write from memory and then answer the questions that I made on those notes (saving the answers in different folders).

Das what I do
Francis Urquhart
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For me there's something infinitely more satisfying about handwriting it, don't know what. But it feels more fufilling, and i can sort of clutch it and hold it and show it off (does that bit sound awkward? ;L) to other people [because i do creative writing in my notes!].

Best regards
Francis
honeydr
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I prefer to type all of my notes, because that way it's easier to edit/update them, and it also means that I can keep all of my notes together in documents/folders on my laptop, rather than having to search through heavy ring-binders and lever arch folders trying to find the notes I need
Thats what I like about it but everyone says you only remember stuff if you write them
username2088165
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thats what I like about it but everyone says you only remember stuff if you write them
There may be some truth to that, but I didn't have any trouble remembering the information from my typed notes. I handwrite things slowly, so it would've taken me far too long to write out all of my notes several times, which is why I chose to type them and read over them until I remembered them instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.83%
No (46)
22.44%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.73%

Watched Threads