Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Last year at AS-Level, I was studying humanities-based AS-Level choices, which were Classical Civilisation, Religious Studies (Ethics and Philosophy modules), English Combined, and Psychology, with my grades for these subjects being BBDE respectively.
    Initially I was preparing to study Classics at university, however over the course of the year I decided that I had made a mistake and wanted to study Physics (maybe Physics and Philosophy combined) instead. This year, I am studying Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. This is 1 less AS-Level than most people take with Further Maths.
    My question is: are my chances of getting into a top 10 Physics university damaged by resitting with these different subjects? I didn't do too well on my first time, and my gcse grades are A*A*AAAAABBC.I have asked some teachers about this, but I would really appreciate an honest outside perspective on my situation.

Thanks. =]

Also, sorry if this post has been a bit of an information overload; I tried to be as concise as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanaue)
    Last year at AS-Level, I was studying humanities-based AS-Level choices, which were English Combined, Classical Civilisation, Religious Studies (Ethics and Philosophy modules) and Psychology, with my grades for these subjects being BBDE respectively.
    Initially I was preparing to study Classics at university, however over the course of the year I decided that I had made a mistake and wanted to study Physics (maybe Physics and Philosophy combined) instead. This year, I am studying Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. This is 1 less AS-Level than most people take with Further Maths.
    My question is: are my chances of getting into a top 10 Physics university damaged by resitting with these different subjects? I didn't do too well on my first time, and my gcse grades are A*A*AAAAABBC.I have asked some teachers about this, but I would really appreciate an honest outside perspective on my situation.

Thanks. =]

Also, sorry if this post has been a bit of an information overload; I tried to be as concise as possible!
    Since you have started again with completely different subjects, it doesn't count as resitting, so no.

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Since you have started again with completely different subjects, it doesn't count as resitting, so no.
    Thanks for the fast and short response!!
    Would you know whether it is required that you include all qualifications when applying on UCAS?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Would you know whether it is required that you include all qualifications when applying on UCAS?
    Yes otherwise it's fradulent

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. Not to do so is fraudulent and you will be signing a declaration to say that you have done so. Your offer can be revoked if you do not.

Ah okay, I don't want to be doing that then. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    Will make 0 difference even if you were retaking the same subjects. I managed to get all 5 offers from universities like Bath, Nottingham, Edinburgh etc and I retook the whole AS year with the exact same subjects. Only becomes a problem when applying for oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Last year at AS-Level, I was studying humanities-based AS-Level choices, which were English Combined, Classical Civilisation, Religious Studies (Ethics and Philosophy modules) and Psychology, with my grades for these subjects being BBDE respectively.

Thanks. =]

No I don't think you will be. I know a person who is resitting her A levels and got offer from Warwick and Kings College London for Biomedical Science. Another friend of mine is also resitting his A levels and got an offer for Pharmacy at Kings College London and got an interview from UCL. hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    Will make 0 difference even if you were retaking the same subjects. I managed to get all 5 offers from universities like Bath, Nottingham, Edinburgh etc and I retook the whole AS year with the exact same subjects. Only becomes a problem when applying for oxbridge.
    This isn't necessarily the case- for some unis like Imperial and UCL, a full retake year can be an issue. It's also worth bearing in mind that applying to uni is a competitive process, and doing a full year of retakes does make you a less strong candidate.

I'm pleased you got the offers you wanted, but making sweeping statements based on your own experience isn't always a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    This isn't necessarily the case- for some unis like Imperial and UCL, a full retake year can be an issue. It's also worth bearing in mind that applying to uni is a competitive process, and doing a full year of retakes does make you a less strong candidate.

I'm pleased you got the offers you wanted, but making sweeping statements based on your own experience isn't always a good idea.
    Not just basing it on my own experience. Many others will say the same thing. But yes I agree being a retake student will obviously make you less of a strong candidate but its easy to make up for it by strengthening your related work experiences, ECs, personal statement, reference etc etc. A university would pick a stronger candidate that retook the year over a weaker one that has got the grades first go imo.

ReputationRep:
    I now some require subjects to be taken over 2 years but there are very few of them. I have a feeling one might be Manchester but I may be wrong. The best thing you can do is check the entry requirements for each uni you are applying for and apply to those that don't stipulate this requirement.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...on-resits.html

ReputationRep:
    Not just basing it on my own experience. Many others will say the same thing. But yes I agree being a retake student will obviously make you less of a strong candidate but its easy to make up for it by strengthening your related work experiences, ECs, personal statement, reference etc etc. A university would pick a stronger candidate that retook the year over a weaker one that has got the grades first go imo.
    Most universities consider grades first, and for academic courses work experience and ECs won't hold much weight. It's very rare that a candidate with retakes will be considered the stronger candidate.

Yes, for a lot of people it won't matter, especially if there are reasons they did poorly first time around (and if there aren't, I wouldn't expect them to get a good reference).

ReputationRep:
    Only becomes a problem when applying for oxbridge.
    UCL and imperial too. And a few medical schools

ReputationRep:
    It is not resitting. The new subjects will have been obtained in the normal 2 years, without resits. It will not be a disadvantage. It is clear that the candidate has had a change of direction.

ReputationRep:
    My friend somehow managed to get into Imperial after resisting all the same subjects. It's not impossible, but it is quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    For physics I don't think its a problem (I think for medicine it does) unless you are applying to Oxbridge but then if you have the grades I don't see why you cant
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Laurenafenete)
    For physics I don't think its a problem (I think for medicine it does) unless you are applying to Oxbridge but then if you have the grades I don't see why you cant
    Cambridge won't mind for NatSci (Physical). Oxford will be the same. It's a completely new set of A-levels, not resits. It's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cambridge won't mind for NatSci (Physical). Oxford will be the same. It's a completely new set of A-levels, not resits. It's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let's keep singing from the same hymn sheet until everyone knows the words...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Let's keep singing from the same hymn sheet until everyone knows the words...

:five:

I didn't expect this many responses, but thanks a lot for the help! Glad to know I won't be at a disadvantage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.