Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to hear your opinions..

ReputationRep:
    I'm often quite torn when it comes to cultural appropriation. I believe that engaging in and embracing cultures that are different to yours is a wonderful thing. I love to attend festivals and learn songs from cultures that are not my own, and I find it has made me a much more open-minded person. However, I will admit that there are some occasions, for example when I see someone with a traditional Thai Buddhist tattoo, who has not undergone the proper tattoo-ing procedure, and I can understand why people who belong to that culture would be offended. The procedure is very spiritual and takes a lot of self-reflection, commitment etc., and although it does not affect me directly (as I am not Buddhist), I feel a slight pang in my stomach, as if my brain is saying "no, you're not doing it right. You're not meant to have that". In cases like these, I often question what my actual stance is about it. I appreciate the customs and cultures of others, and I am sensitive to different ways of life, but at the same time I love seeing people embrace other cultures. ITS SO CONFUSING!
    In short, I think that if someone does something that is of another culture, as long as it is done respectfully and not in an insulting way, then it should be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.