The Student Room Group

Veterinary Mature Student Stories/Studies with poor A-levels/GCSEs?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any success stories of getting onto a veterinary medicine degree despite their A-levels not being the best? I am now 22, and I have an unrelated BA Degree (So therefore will not be able to use it to my advantage). I am regretting my unfortunate lack of motivation during my A-levels, and have realized since (too late) I am a lot brighter than I thought I was back then.

I now think I am ready (Again probably too late) To look at getting onto a veterinary degree. I understand about the work experience, however I would like any advice/stories on how others have gotten onto the course, despite past mistakes - what courses did you do for it? I would also like to know of any full time employees wanting to/successfully getting onto the course, how did you do it? - will they accept A-level re-takes, and can you even re-take A-levels you did 4 years ago?

I am looking to ring around the veterinary colleges within the next week, however I am afraid they'll give me similar answers the the internet, I am not eligible for any of the "gateway courses" unfortunately.

Original post by PurpleUnicorn89
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any success stories of getting onto a veterinary medicine degree despite their A-levels not being the best? I am now 22, and I have an unrelated BA Degree (So therefore will not be able to use it to my advantage). I am regretting my unfortunate lack of motivation during my A-levels, and have realized since (too late) I am a lot brighter than I thought I was back then.

I now think I am ready (Again probably too late) To look at getting onto a veterinary degree. I understand about the work experience, however I would like any advice/stories on how others have gotten onto the course, despite past mistakes - what courses did you do for it? I would also like to know of any full time employees wanting to/successfully getting onto the course, how did you do it? - will they accept A-level re-takes, and can you even re-take A-levels you did 4 years ago?

I am looking to ring around the veterinary colleges within the next week, however I am afraid they'll give me similar answers the the internet, I am not eligible for any of the "gateway courses" unfortunately.

You'd be better off looking into an access course. A-levels are changing again, so you'd have to start from scratch. Nottingham definitely don't accept resits, but the others are a little more lenient. You'd need to email admission departments though.

On a more important note, how will you fund your course? There's no student loan for a second degree so you need to make sure you can afford tuition fees etc for the 5 years before you start.
The place to ask is the Veterinary Medicine and sciences forum, I never see any vetmed students in the Mature section. As well as the Access to HE course (which should be accepted by most vet schools), there probably are university-run access to vetmed or foundation programmes. You might also think about going abroad... something like this for example: http://www.nord.no/en/studies/animal-science-%28joint-bachelor%29#!
Hey, I too totally messed up my A levels- I got 2 A’s 9Bs at gcse and told not good enough for Vet med so chose random ones and felt so disheartened I came out with two Ds and a C at a level.

I went on to become a registered vet nurse by doing the diploma and found myself desperate to try to get onto Vet med. After contacting the Unis, they advised an access course as my nursing diploma academically somehow doesn’t really count for anything. So I’ve done that and am nearly at the end of the year and am on track to get all distinctions which is what you need pretty much for Vet med.

Ive been offered a place at Bristol and Nottingham for Vet med. Nottingham is for the preliminary year course.

So basically it can be done. I had the advantage of lots of work experience but academically I was worried as my past didn’t show my true abilities. RVC rejected me because of my A levels but said I could reapply once I had completed my access course. They’re the only ones who seemed to taint your application with the mistakes I made when I was 17 so hey ho.

Deffo call around and I’d ask for email confirmation of what they tell you just so you have it all written down.

I’m 26 btw so you have loads of time 😂

Best of luck!!
Reply 4
hey, tigerintheroom,I'm wondering about the access course and wanted to know where did you do yours? and also did Bristol and Nottingham offered on the base of your A levels or on your current grades in the access course? thanks for helping!

Original post by tigerintheroom
Hey, I too totally messed up my A levels- I got 2 A’s 9Bs at gcse and told not good enough for Vet med so chose random ones and felt so disheartened I came out with two Ds and a C at a level.

I went on to become a registered vet nurse by doing the diploma and found myself desperate to try to get onto Vet med. After contacting the Unis, they advised an access course as my nursing diploma academically somehow doesn’t really count for anything. So I’ve done that and am nearly at the end of the year and am on track to get all distinctions which is what you need pretty much for Vet med.

Ive been offered a place at Bristol and Nottingham for Vet med. Nottingham is for the preliminary year course.

So basically it can be done. I had the advantage of lots of work experience but academically I was worried as my past didn’t show my true abilities. RVC rejected me because of my A levels but said I could reapply once I had completed my access course. They’re the only ones who seemed to taint your application with the mistakes I made when I was 17 so hey ho.

Deffo call around and I’d ask for email confirmation of what they tell you just so you have it all written down.

I’m 26 btw so you have loads of time 😂

Best of luck!!
Hey! I just did it at a regular college in my area. If you go on the official Access to HE page, then theres a bit where you can find a course, and you select Science and then type your postcode and it'll tell you institutions near you where it's available. Also go through the individual Vet school entry requirements page as I think they took me to the Access to HE homepage, just so you know you're definitely on the right one.

My offers are based on achieving the necessary grades in my Access course, so at least 30 Distinctions (out of 45 graded units) and everything else Merit or above. They luckily seem to have overlooked the academic disaster that is my A levels haha!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by PERLA123
hey, tigerintheroom,I'm wondering about the access course and wanted to know where did you do yours? and also did Bristol and Nottingham offered on the base of your A levels or on your current grades in the access course? thanks for helping!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending