Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Veterinary Mature Student Stories/Studies with poor A-levels/GCSEs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any success stories of getting onto a veterinary medicine degree despite their A-levels not being the best? I am now 22, and I have an unrelated BA Degree (So therefore will not be able to use it to my advantage). I am regretting my unfortunate lack of motivation during my A-levels, and have realized since (too late) I am a lot brighter than I thought I was back then.

I now think I am ready (Again probably too late) To look at getting onto a veterinary degree. I understand about the work experience, however I would like any advice/stories on how others have gotten onto the course, despite past mistakes - what courses did you do for it? I would also like to know of any full time employees wanting to/successfully getting onto the course, how did you do it? - will they accept A-level re-takes, and can you even re-take A-levels you did 4 years ago?

I am looking to ring around the veterinary colleges within the next week, however I am afraid they'll give me similar answers the the internet, I am not eligible for any of the "gateway courses" unfortunately.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleUnicorn89)
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any success stories of getting onto a veterinary medicine degree despite their A-levels not being the best? I am now 22, and I have an unrelated BA Degree (So therefore will not be able to use it to my advantage). I am regretting my unfortunate lack of motivation during my A-levels, and have realized since (too late) I am a lot brighter than I thought I was back then.

I now think I am ready (Again probably too late) To look at getting onto a veterinary degree. I understand about the work experience, however I would like any advice/stories on how others have gotten onto the course, despite past mistakes - what courses did you do for it? I would also like to know of any full time employees wanting to/successfully getting onto the course, how did you do it? - will they accept A-level re-takes, and can you even re-take A-levels you did 4 years ago?

I am looking to ring around the veterinary colleges within the next week, however I am afraid they'll give me similar answers the the internet, I am not eligible for any of the "gateway courses" unfortunately.

Thanks
    You'd be better off looking into an access course. A-levels are changing again, so you'd have to start from scratch. Nottingham definitely don't accept resits, but the others are a little more lenient. You'd need to email admission departments though.

On a more important note, how will you fund your course? There's no student loan for a second degree so you need to make sure you can afford tuition fees etc for the 5 years before you start.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The place to ask is the Veterinary Medicine and sciences forum, I never see any vetmed students in the Mature section. As well as the Access to HE course (which should be accepted by most vet schools), there probably are university-run access to vetmed or foundation programmes. You might also think about going abroad... something like this for example: http://www.nord.no/en/studies/animal...t-bachelor%29#!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.