Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many hours of a day doing work experience count as one day of work experience. I am currently doing 3 1/2 hours once a week in a gp but will this 3 and bit hours count as one day of work experience for a med school in unis.

You're looking to sell yourself and so I personally would interpret as much as possible in your favour. You just have to be comfortable defending such decisions if you are ever "called out", i.e. portray yourself favourably without being intentionally dishonest. You obviously couldn't say that you spent "five full days" shadowing a GP but I don't see why you shouldn't mention "a week of GP shadowing" or even just leave out the amount of time altogether.

As Ekervul mentioned, time spent is much less important than insight gained. Unless you are specifically asked to describe work experience in calendar terms, you'd be better writing something like "when shadowing my GP, I saw how she relied on her previous knowledge about patients to contextualise their current problem... this helped me understand the importance of continuity of care and developing longterm professional relationships with patients... This is something that I have experienced myself when mentoring students at my school through their GCSEs..."

It's not about time spent it's about showing that you took the initiative to arrange something, learned about life as a doctor, understand what skills are required, and then (ideally) show how this is something you can do.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.