Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting the IGCSE English Language exam to achieve a better grade however this time instead of doing coursework I'm siting two exams.

I really want an A in this subject but I'm unsure of how to achieve that and I feel like I'm running out of time.
    How do I revise for this exam?
    What should I look out for so I can get more marks?

All help is appreciated.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuzanak16)
    I'm resitting the IGCSE English Language exam to achieve a better grade however this time instead of doing coursework I'm siting two exams.

I really want an A in this subject but I'm unsure of how to achieve that and I feel like I'm running out of time.
    How do I revise for this exam?
    What should I look out for so I can get more marks?

All help is appreciated.
    Hello, I'm in year 12 and I recently resat my IGCSE English language exam (in November) as I wanted to achieve a better grade, in my resit I got an A.

Even though I did coursework I think the trick to getting a good grade is to practice practice practice, it's the only way you'll get comfortable with the exam and the questions they might ask you.

Additionally I would recommend you look at mark schemes so you know where the examiners will be looking to award marks. Also familiarising yourself with the structure of the exam can be very helpful. For me, my exam consisted of 3 questions if I remember correctly, each question had a specific style , they just change the context behind it. Make sure you know what it is you'll have to do in the exam.

And I know it sounds boring but honestly practice makes perfect! (But check your work too, make sure if you make mistakes that you know how to correct them).

Hope this helps, good luck !

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I took this exam last year and got an A
    Are you taking a speaking and listening exam too?
    I would advise you to:
    (1) Read
    (2) Practice creative writing, remember that you'll have to do either a narrative or description in the last question, I chose to do a description.
    For a descriptive piece, practice describing different scenes, using different adjectives and language devices (eg metaphors)
    And narrative, we were told to practice writing dual narratives as it will give you more marks.
    (3) Practice PEEL/PEE/PEA/PEETER paragraphs as that will be one of your questions, so analysis of language devices used in a particular text.
    (4) One of the questions, I think 3, is a summary, so again I'm going to tell you to practice summarising things, locking out the key points.

In general, I would advise you to just practice, read and try and broaden your vocabulary for the descriptive/narrative.
    Oh! I almost forgot, look at different writings forms for the first question - eg newspapers, speeches, and blogs. It's most commonly a newspaper article.

Lastly, good luck for your exam and I hope it goes well! If there's anything else, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    JulieWaters Xnonymous THANK YOU! This has helped me so much, I was really stressed about this exam but now I know what to do I feel reassured. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm glad it helped..
    You took the exam about two weeks ago right?
    How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xnonymous)
    Hey!
    I'm glad it helped..
    You took the exam about two weeks ago right?
    How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,it went well and I feel quite good about it, hopefully it's the grade I want.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.