Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this true, are women put down more than men for being strong ? Watch

Have you noticed that if a man sticks up for himself/is assertive he is labelled strong but if a woman does the same then shes a 'b****' ? Or have you not noticed it personally ?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/a...l-women-names/

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed it very often. In my school, I like to take on leadership roles, and when I try to be assertive (doing something as simple as asking students in the meeting that I am running to be quiet, take it seriously etc.), people tell me to loosen up and raise their eyebrows, say to stop acting b****y and to "calm down, love". I don't take too much offense to it, but when my male peers are assertive, they are given respect and labeled as strong and someone who "knows what they want". This is all from personal experience, and in different cultures too (not just in England, but in Thailand, Indonesia; places where I have lived). I think it is part of society as a whole; men are seen to be the dominant ones, and if a woman does not comply with not being assertive, then there is something wrong with her. Of course this is not true for everybody in every situation, these are only certain examples, and I am sure that there are plenty of women in the world who are assertive and respected without being labelled as overbearing, and respectively people who are capable of respecting others without taking gender into consideration. Although this type of issue does exist, remember that it is not everywhere, and plenty of people do not do such things as this

ReputationRep:
    And men are put down Much Much more for exhibiting feminine traits

ReputationRep:
    This is very true, men are put down a lot for displaying any sort of trait that would be defined as "unmanly", but I am not sure that that is what the question is asking. You're not wrong, though.
    (Original post by Mentally)
    And men are put down Much Much more for exhibiting feminine traits

If a man shows any form of 'femininity' he's automatically 'gay'. (makes no sense)
    If a woman defends herself or is aggressive (a masculine trait), she's labelled a *****. Why? because it's not feminine. Crying or acting weak is feminine.
    It's all evolutionary. Man protects woman... woman is weak and stays at home... blah blah blah
    Drives me nuts!! Why can't a guy show emotion and why can't a girl defend herself without society labeling them? It's not 1920 anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!!! I think it's so dumb. I think it is perfectly acceptable for a man to show emotion, just the way it is ok for women to act "manly". It's all very silly, and we will probably never grow out of it because Anonymous is right; its all evolutionary. I'm fairly certain that thousands of years ago it was the man's job to go out and hunt for food while the women stayed home, cared for the children, cooked and made herbal medicines. Don't take my word for it though, I am no anthropology student And then these stereotyped behaviors have wiggled their way through the generations and are still here today.
    But yea, the reason these stereotypes still exist is because there are gatekeepers; people who understand the stereotype and make it their goal to maintain them. I know plenty of people like this in our generation, and it makes me sad actually.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If a man shows any form of 'femininity' he's automatically 'gay'. (makes no sense)
    If a woman defends herself or is aggressive (a masculine trait), she's labelled a *****. Why? because it's not feminine. Crying or acting weak is feminine.
    It's all evolutionary. Man protects woman... woman is weak and stays at home... blah blah blah
    Drives me nuts!! Why can't a guy show emotion and why can't a girl defend herself without society labeling them? It's not 1920 anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.