Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best VB.NET books watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, my College has chosen to follow VB.NET for A-Level Computer Science. It's annoying because I feel it's not rather useful for my purposes so I'm learning C# instead, but I want to invest some time into making sure that the A-Level content is a laugh, I want an A* at A2, something quite rare at my college (and indeed the subject, though I suspect that is due to the quality of the students rather than the difficulty of the course), they get one every few years. :/

I've read "Computing Projects in ASP.NET" by D. Christopher and the old AQA Computing book as part of the course, (the former is ridiculously old, lots of the code was already considered deprecated 10 years ago) and want to read something newer to help concrete my understanding of OOP theory, as Wrox' ASP.NET book has revealed that my knowledge is pathetically inadequate.

Has anyone any experience with the following books, or another to recommend?
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2013 Step by Step
    VB.NET Made Simple: Programs and Project
    Wrox Beginning Visual Basic 2015

I'll be very thankful for any opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Hiya, my College has chosen to follow VB.NET for A-Level Computer Science. It's annoying because I feel it's not rather useful for my purposes so I'm learning C# instead, but I want to invest some time into making sure that the A-Level content is a laugh, I want an A* at A2, something quite rare at my college (and indeed the subject, though I suspect that is due to the quality of the students rather than the difficulty of the course), they get one every few years. :/

I've read "Computing Projects in ASP.NET" by D. Christopher and the old AQA Computing book as part of the course, (the former is ridiculously old, lots of the code was already considered deprecated 10 years ago) and want to read something newer to help concrete my understanding of OOP theory, as Wrox' ASP.NET book has revealed that my knowledge is pathetically inadequate.

Has anyone any experience with the following books, or another to recommend?
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2013 Step by Step
    VB.NET Made Simple: Programs and Project
    Wrox Beginning Visual Basic 2015

I'll be very thankful for any opinions.
    I got an A* in A level computing when I did that back in 2010 and we also used VB.NET. Can I ask why you feel VB.NET isn't useful for your purposes, and are you sure C# is the language you need?

VB.NET will be enough for you to gain an A* if you commit the time to the course. When I did the a level, AS had a theory exam and practical exam. Practical was more focused on the principles of programming, so it is important that you understand the basic concepts - arrays, data types, loops, if statements, logic etc.

The second year had a more complex theory exam including OOP, regular expressions and databases. There was also a project. I think the project is the difference between those who get A's and those who get A*'s. A lot of very intelligent and good programmers at my college did a lot worse in this than you would think. My advice would be to use Vb.NET for this, as this is what you would have been taught, unless you are very confident in another language.

I was told that the best projects are those that have a random element to it and use more complex programming techniques (and obviously, is written with clean, commented code which is free of bugs). I made an economy simulator which would respond to changes the user would make, for example, changing interest rates. I coded it in VB.NET using OOP practices.

I wouldn't say you definitely need a book, rather download visual studio and start experimenting with vb.net. If you get stuck, stack overflow is a great resource. Also have a look online for explanations of OOP, once you play around with it, it should start to make sense, much easier than reading about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    I got an A* in A level computing when I did that back in 2010 and we also used VB.NET. Can I ask why you feel VB.NET isn't useful for your purposes, and are you sure C# is the language you need?

VB.NET will be enough for you to gain an A* if you commit the time to the course. When I did the a level, AS had a theory exam and practical exam. Practical was more focused on the principles of programming, so it is important that you understand the basic concepts - arrays, data types, loops, if statements, logic etc.

The second year had a more complex theory exam including OOP, regular expressions and databases. There was also a project. I think the project is the difference between those who get A's and those who get A*'s. A lot of very intelligent and good programmers at my college did a lot worse in this than you would think. My advice would be to use Vb.NET for this, as this is what you would have been taught, unless you are very confident in another language.

I was told that the best projects are those that have a random element to it and use more complex programming techniques (and obviously, is written with clean, commented code which is free of bugs). I made an economy simulator which would respond to changes the user would make, for example, changing interest rates. I coded it in VB.NET using OOP practices.

I wouldn't say you definitely need a book, rather download visual studio and start experimenting with vb.net. If you get stuck, stack overflow is a great resource. Also have a look online for explanations of OOP, once you play around with it, it should start to make sense, much easier than reading about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, and congratulations on your A*. My college hasn't had an A* in Computing in 5 or 6 years as my teacher told me the other day, he's hoping that some of my promising cohorts and I can break the pattern.

I do not intend to learn C# for the A-Level, I will be using VB.NET in the course. I however have an interest in game development, and do not feel VB.NET is at-all suited to this. Unreal, Unity and other popular engines do support C# however, which is a lot wielder than C++.

Thankyou for the advice, I've heard horror stories from the A2 students about programs with 18 databases. I'll definitely be sticking to VB.NET for the A-Level, I presume I'll need ADO.NET for the databases?

I use stack overflow a fair bit, I find it very useful, and it's great to find new ways to do things. I've already bought the books though, I bought Wrox Beginning Visual Basic 2015, and Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Step by Step.

From first glances the 2008 book seems more useful (and about 6 times cheaper on ebay) for anyone that's interested; the Wrox book is both more geared towards programming beginners, and plain wrong in places. (1024 bytes make up a kilobyte?! Kilo = 1024? Not kibi?)

Thanks again

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.