Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of getting a 1 series, or is there something similar? watch

ReputationRep:
    I passed about six months ago and took a ford which wasn't being used much by the family.

There's nothing wrong with it but I'm working and saving quite a lot from being at home and it would be nice to drive something nicer.

Depreciation hits for used cars doesn't seem too bad - not likely to cost more than £400-500 a year for a £4K bmw.

Anyone have any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1 series, albeit one which cost more than £4K. I have 204bhp, decent torque and get 50mpg even with a heavy right foot. I like it for the most part, but it's certainly not perfect.

It's ride is terrible (m sport suspension for you) - having some work done on it tomorrow in fact to try and improve it, including replacing rear trailing control arm bushes and front control arms. Potholes feel like bomb craters... And uneven road surfaces can be really tiring to drive on. The SE spec suspension on 17" wheels is far far better and doesn't have half these problems.

The N47 Diesel engine from '07-'12(?) has known timing chain tensioner problems which can destroy your engine, although there has been a partial recall for this. If your car hasn't been recalled then should the error occur, if you have a full BMW service history, you might get some help with the cost. However only certain cars were recalled, not including mine, and I haven't had any of the warning symptoms.

Smaller petrol engines apparently start going fairly wrong after 100k miles (although this is only what someone has told me so may have no real truth in it).

Insurance can be more expensive than other similar cars - mine is group 35 - which if you're a new driver might be especially costly. I pay £500 a year which is a lot more than I'd pay for a Hatchback or basic saloon (2 years ago when I got rid of my Polo I had been paying £230 a year).

Rear wheel drive and a slightly twitchy tail happy tendency on the more powerful models isn't for everybody... Perhaps especially if you're an inexperienced driver.

Maintenance and consumables costs are a lot more than your basic hatchback - tyres for example on mine are about £150 each. They are harder to work on yourself than many other cars. Oh and if the electrics go wonky it can cost a fortune - these cars have loads of ECUs for all sorts of computing and monitoring.

They do hold their value fairly well to a point - a desirable model will stay desirable. I paid £7000 for mine a year ago, and even We Buy Any Car would still give me £7500 for it - I did get a very good price on it though.

Which model were you looking at - age/engine/fuel/body type?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cracking little cars. Very chuckable. Even the little 116i is pleasant enough to drive around town all be it a bit gutless.
    Not sure about the above comment re: potholes... you're supposed to drive around those. That's how you end up with bent wheels!
    I certainly wouldn't describe them as "twitchy" either. I think they are very well planted.
    Easily the best model in the class IMHO.
    My choice would be a larger petrol engine.
    One other point... try and go for one with leather. BMW cloth is AWFUL. A sunroof makes a big difference to the interior too, really brightens it up a lot.

BTW... There's a reason they drive so well... the original 1 series is actually the very last design to come from the ashes of MG Rover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Cracking little cars. Very chuckable. Even the little 116i is pleasant enough to drive around town all be it a bit gutless.
    Not sure about the above comment re: potholes... you're supposed to drive around those. That's how you end up with bent wheels!
    I certainly wouldn't describe them as "twitchy" either. I think they are very well planted.
    Easily the best model in the class IMHO.
    My choice would be a larger petrol engine.
    One other point... try and go for one with leather. BMW cloth is AWFUL. A sunroof makes a big difference to the interior too, really brightens it up a lot.

BTW... There's a reason they drive so well... the original 1 series is actually the very last design to come from the ashes of MG Rover.
    Yeah leather is far superior to to the cloth.

By potholes... What you might consider a slight blemish in the road in a 'normal' car would become a pothole in my car.

As for twitchiness... Well I've just significantly lightened my wallet and discovered that my front tyres were knackered - ok on the outside but a right dried out cracked mess on the inside. Looks like the previous owner had driven it hard when one of them was flat at some point... This obviously hadn't done my handling or ride much good.

So as far as my above comments go re. twitchiness and bad ride - a decent alignment and two new tyres has massive improved it and I can revoke those criticisms!

Get one OP - it's a reet laff.

Also, if you ever need help with exactly what MPG it'll get, we have our own regular fuel economy expert on here to help with everybody's fuel economy questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    I have a 1 series, albeit one which cost more than £4K. I have 204bhp, decent torque and get 50mpg even with a heavy right foot. I like it for the most part, but it's certainly not perfect.

It's ride is terrible (m sport suspension for you) - having some work done on it tomorrow in fact to try and improve it, including replacing rear trailing control arm bushes and front control arms. Potholes feel like bomb craters... And uneven road surfaces can be really tiring to drive on. The SE spec suspension on 17" wheels is far far better and doesn't have half these problems.

The N47 Diesel engine from '07-'12(?) has known timing chain tensioner problems which can destroy your engine, although there has been a partial recall for this. If your car hasn't been recalled then should the error occur, if you have a full BMW service history, you might get some help with the cost. However only certain cars were recalled, not including mine, and I haven't had any of the warning symptoms.

Smaller petrol engines apparently start going fairly wrong after 100k miles (although this is only what someone has told me so may have no real truth in it).

Insurance can be more expensive than other similar cars - mine is group 35 - which if you're a new driver might be especially costly. I pay £500 a year which is a lot more than I'd pay for a Hatchback or basic saloon (2 years ago when I got rid of my Polo I had been paying £230 a year).

Rear wheel drive and a slightly twitchy tail happy tendency on the more powerful models isn't for everybody... Perhaps especially if you're an inexperienced driver.

Maintenance and consumables costs are a lot more than your basic hatchback - tyres for example on mine are about £150 each. They are harder to work on yourself than many other cars. Oh and if the electrics go wonky it can cost a fortune - these cars have loads of ECUs for all sorts of computing and monitoring.

They do hold their value fairly well to a point - a desirable model will stay desirable. I paid £7000 for mine a year ago, and even We Buy Any Car would still give me £7500 for it - I did get a very good price on it though.

Which model were you looking at - age/engine/fuel/body type?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I currently drive a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec, so not sure how that compares to the ride of the BMW 1 series?

I'm looking at something like an 08 plate with very good mileage and some nice interior. I'm basically looking for a good deal but I'm also terrified of car failure. I want to buy one without the fear of it giving up on me...how likely/rare is that to happen?

Also, how much is it to look after a bmw? I don't want it to drain all my money. I'm young, single and just looking to enjoy my ride to my 40 hour a week place of work whilst also saving some money on the side.

I spoke to a car mechanic and he said most cars - of any brand - should be doing at least 200,000 miles these days, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accno1)
    I spoke to a car mechanic and he said most cars - of any brand - should be doing at least 200,000 miles these days, is this true?
    That's a bit of a loaded question, it all depends on how much money you're prepared to throw at it. What sends most cars to the scrapyard (other than crashes) is not catastrophic mechanical failure. The problem is that the value of a car is generally pretty low when it gets much above 100k miles, so one expensive problem or a few smaller ones can easily get to the stage where it doesn't make economic sense to spend any more money on the car. Honest John normally has good info on problems specific to a particular model.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accno1)
    I currently drive a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec, so not sure how that compares to the ride of the BMW 1 series?

I'm looking at something like an 08 plate with very good mileage and some nice interior. I'm basically looking for a good deal but I'm also terrified of car failure. I want to buy one without the fear of it giving up on me...how likely/rare is that to happen?

Also, how much is it to look after a bmw? I don't want it to drain all my money. I'm young, single and just looking to enjoy my ride to my 40 hour a week place of work whilst also saving some money on the side.

It depends on which model, engine and spec you get. A 135i will not give you the same experience as a 116d... If you look after it, you should get decent mileage out of it.

They aren't necessarily cheap to look after - if something goes wrong you could be looking at a hefty bill. Two tyres (albeit unusual sized run flats) were £100 each and a 12 point alignment was another £100 - so replacing front tyres £300 plus VAT.

The experience will be entirely different to an '02 Fiesta (again depending what spec you went for) but generally different driven axle, and a far more precise vehicle as far as handling goes, particularly with the M Sport ones.

I bought a Coupé - I'm not a massive fan of the looks of the Hatch but each to their own.

Honestly, if you're serious about it, I would recommend one. But make sure you decide on what you're looking for and look at some of the forums such as babybmw - it'll give you a good insight. Although as with any car don't read into all the typical 'problem' threads - forums attract people who bought lemons, making it appear like issues are far more prevalent.

Also, the work I got done on my car today sorted it out properly, so ignore what I said about crap ride quality!! It's back to being firm but fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the ride is a bit too firm you can always go with an inch smaller rim and larger profile tyre to keep the rolling circumference the same. i.e so the speedo remains unaffected.
    I've had both 15" and 16" wheels on my Daimler and the difference if very noticable.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.