Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and am doing maths AS units C1, C2 and S1 this year. If I want to resit any units in Year 12, will I ruin my chances of getting into a good uni for medicine?
    THANKS in advance

ReputationRep:
    For oxbridge they don't really like resits but I don't think they would throw out your application just because you did some. You have to put your original grade on UCAS anyway and they have access to all of that.

edit: im not the thread starter so i don't reply to me please {don't know why it says i am?}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofthehumans)
    I'm in year 11 and am doing maths AS units C1, C2 and S1 this year. If I want to resit any units in Year 12, will I ruin my chances of getting into a good uni for medicine?
    THANKS in advance
    Not good I would think. The top universities would want extenuating circumstances for resits not that you just got poor grades the first time. Resits are a red flag.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    THANKS in advance
    It's a waste of time doing as modules early as medical schools want you to complete your a levels in the same two year period. It would mean that the maths wouldn't count towards any offers you get.

Focus on your gcses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the fear-mongering here lol. I've seen 2 people who failed their first years (complete flop), retook it and have offers from LSE and UCL respectively. And they didn't have extenuating circumstances. Get good grades and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crammyandcrabby)
    For oxbridge they don't really like resits but I don't think they would throw out your application just because you did some. You have to put your original grade on UCAS anyway and they have access to all of that.
    The best way to find out is to call them to be honest, you can explain your exact situation and they can give you a straight answer, you're probably going to get conflicting answers here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It's a waste of time doing as modules early as medical schools want you to complete your a levels in the same two year period. It would mean that the maths wouldn't count towards any offers you get.

Focus on your gcses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I don't understand why don't they count maths?

Also, a class is picked to do it early every year so I guess they think we could cope but tbh I'd prefer to do it next year
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry I don't understand why don't they count maths?

Also, a class is picked to do it early every year so I guess they think we could cope but tbh I'd prefer to do it next year
    You need to do it in the same two year period as your other a-levels. So even if you got an A in a-level maths it wouldn't count towards the AAA requirements for medicine.
    You're much better off doing it in year 12 and 13. You're disadvantaging yourself doing exams early because you'd still have to get AAA in 3 other subjects.

Just tell your school you want to apply to medicine and it is a waste of time for medicine applicants. Focus on your GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    You need to do it in the same two year period as your other a-levels. So even if you got an A in a-level maths it wouldn't count towards the AAA requirements for medicine.
    You're much better off doing it in year 12 and 13. You're disadvantaging yourself doing exams early because you'd still have to get AAA in 3 other subjects.

Just tell your school you want to apply to medicine and it is a waste of time for medicine applicants. Focus on your GCSEs
    Omg really?? That's so annoying because our school has never even mentioned it Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Omg really?? That's so annoying because our school has never even mentioned it Thanks!
    They may not be aware. But a lot of medical schools specifically state that your a-levels have to be completed in the same 2 year period (so taking exams in year 11 would mean maths was done over a different period than the others) and you don't want to rule out medical schools before you even start.
    You're better off focussing on getting the best grades possible at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    They may not be aware. But a lot of medical schools specifically state that your a-levels have to be completed in the same 2 year period (so taking exams in year 11 would mean maths was done over a different period than the others) and you don't want to rule out medical schools before you even start.
    You're better off focussing on getting the best grades possible at GCSE.
    Thanks I'll do some research into it and let them know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Don't listen to the fear-mongering here lol. I've seen 2 people who failed their first years (complete flop), retook it and have offers from LSE and UCL respectively. And they didn't have extenuating circumstances. Get good grades and you'll be fine.
    Stop giving rubbish advice. The thread starter asked about getting into a good university for medicine. I guarantee you that resits are a big red flag for such an application. Last time I checked LSE does not have a medical school. I can also tell you our department would cast aside any applicant with resits taken for academic reasons only.

I am the former admissions tutor in our department. Medicine is probably at least as fussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvaz6965)
    Stop giving rubbish advice. The thread starter asked about getting into a good university for medicine. I guarantee you that resits are a big red flag for such an application. Last time I checked LSE does not have a medical school. I can also tell you our department would cast aside any applicant with resits taken for academic reasons only.

I am the former admissions tutor in our department. Medicine is probably at least as fussy.
    Didn't know they were applying for med

ReputationRep:
    No not really. I know of some who have got into oxbridge after resitting years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    No not really. I know of some who have got into oxbridge after resitting years.
    What department? Were there extenuating circumstances? Was their application stellar in other regards?

There is no hard and fast rule but resits for academic reasons are usually a big no-no for Oxford or Cambridge and for some departments basically a death knell for the application. I know our department basically bins such applications though admittedly we tend not to ever get them.

ReputationRep:
    What department? Were there extenuating circumstances? Was their application stellar in other regards?

There is no hard and fast rule but resits for academic reasons are usually a big no-no for Oxford or Cambridge and for some departments basically a death knell for the application. I know our department basically bins such applications though admittedly we tend not to ever get them.
    Lol.

How am I supposed to know that? Not everyone indulges their personal stuff. :P

Well this girl I know in the year before got 95+ UMS average after resitting the year or w/e she did engineering.

Okay. So someone who gets AABB is better off than someone who gets AAAA with 95% ums second time?

It is probably a case by case basis tbh, all that holistic whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the best students can have 'bad days'. if you're resitting one or two units I doubt this would be a massive barrier. If you think other factors made you do worse than expected in an exam they consider mitigating circumstances as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Obviously the best students can have 'bad days'. if you're resitting one or two units I doubt this would be a massive barrier. If you think other factors made you do worse than expected in an exam they consider mitigating circumstances as well
    The best of students "bad days" are 97% UMS. And at the top of the academic tree resits for academics are not advisable. The vast majority of the kids applying to these courses never have a resit at all and tend to be straight A*'s in their A levels and GCSE's before that. So if someone applies with AAA but they did resits to get AAA then they'll not be receiving an offer in all likelihood. But at the universities further down the academic ladder then things will be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Lol.

How am I supposed to know that? Not everyone indulges their personal stuff. :P

Well this girl I know in the year before got 95+ UMS average after resitting the year or w/e she did engineering.

Okay. So someone who gets AABB is better off than someone who gets AAAA with 95% ums second time?

It is probably a case by case basis tbh, all that holistic whatnot.
    So in other words you don't even know if the story is true.

ReputationRep:
    So in other words you don't even know if the story is true.
    This girl who was in the year above me told me that she retook the year. She got an offer from Cambridge. She made her offer. She got 3A*1A at the end of it. She does engineering or some variation of.

Well the school posted it on the website along with the rest of the oxbridge cohort..

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.