The Student Room Group

Paving A Way To Success

Hello to anyone who is reading this!:h:

I'm so excited to be a part of this competition! Not only will it motivate me to achieve to my maximum potential, it's also a win win situation for everyone taking part!

Everyone has their own definition of success. For me success would be finishing GCSE's with an A or A* in every one of my subjects, getting all my required grades and at a level and then going to Oxbridge to study medicine.

At the moment I've got mostly A grades in my subjects but that's got to change. I've had the privilege of doing 2 of my GCSE's early (maths and English lit) so I know what it's like to do a real exam versus mocks. You might be getting good grades now but that doesn't mean you can relax!
You've got to keep striving forward to achieve the best. Success is something many people are striving to achieve so what makes you special? You've got to stand out from the crowd. I believe that even if I have mostly A grades now the key is to solidify it and get even better!

The subjects I'm taking now are: Further Maths
English Language
Biology
Chemisty
Physics
Sociology
Spanish
History
Music

All I've written is just a scratch on the surface. Thank you so much for reading!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I dream of Oxbridge too, though I'm leaning towards Oxford as I haven't visited Cambridge before. Medicine is another big dream though I'm not sure I could do that. (Me trying to save someone's life = :s-smilie:)
I wish I could do some of my GCSEs early. I'm scared that once it actually counts, I'll freeze up and panic. :smile: I'm also a fellow music student. What exam board do you have? I'm with AQA.
Reply 2
Original post by Ara8311a
Hi!
I dream of Oxbridge too, though I'm leaning towards Oxford as I haven't visited Cambridge before. Medicine is another big dream though I'm not sure I could do that. (Me trying to save someone's life = :s-smilie:)
I wish I could do some of my GCSEs early. I'm scared that once it actually counts, I'll freeze up and panic. :smile: I'm also a fellow music student. What exam board do you have? I'm with AQA.

Hellooooo! First I'd just like to say that we are so much alike! I'm also leaning towards Oxford because I've been there twice. The thing is with medicine is that people in this society will be putting they're trust in us daily. All you have to do is also believe in yourself. AQA is a great exam board and the majority of my exams are with then but some subjects like maths is with edexel.
What instrument do you play in music? I sing mostly but I can also play the piano:tongue:
Original post by deborah_a
Hellooooo! First I'd just like to say that we are so much alike! I'm also leaning towards Oxford because I've been there twice. The thing is with medicine is that people in this society will be putting they're trust in us daily. All you have to do is also believe in yourself. AQA is a great exam board and the majority of my exams are with then but some subjects like maths is with edexel.
What instrument do you play in music? I sing mostly but I can also play the piano:tongue:

I also don't particularly like Chemisty and Biology so being a doctor isn't in the cards for me. :smile: I mostly sing but I play piano too! I can get by with a ukele and I'm trying to master the guitar but is that ever going to happen? I'm waiting until the summer to try to learn properly as I'll hopefully have more time. :smile:
Reply 4
You're honestly so much like me, I tired to learn how to play the guitar and I found it so challenging so I gave up and decided to stick to what I know. I love to sing it's a passion of mine. I even sing in the church choir which is great fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're honestly so much like me, I tired to learn how to play the guitar and I found it so challenging so I gave up and decided to stick to what I know. I love to sing it's a passion of mine. I even sing in the church choir which is great fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me you're joking? I used to sing in a church choir too. I gave up about a month ago because I couldn't commit every weekend anymore. This is scaring me now!! :smile: I think I'm going to try guitar again in the summer. I also bought a flute last summer but due to my braces couldn't play very well and ended up making my lip really sore. When I get them off, which I'm hoping with be soon, I'll try that as well. I'm starting to realise how much I take on!
Reply 6
Today was the first day back and it was great! It started with an assembly grilling us year 11s to knuckle down as exams will be here before we know it.
My head teacher started the assembly in a very cleaver way. What he did was he started an empty mug which he placed at the back of the hall. He then grabbed a golf club and golf ball and tried to whack it into the mug. He did this 3 times and missed. He then stood up straight and said to us "I've never played golf in my life, this is in fact my wife's club" we were all shocked because he was quite close to the mug. Then he said "do you think that with a couple more hours of practise i could get all 3 balls in?"
You've probably seen the whole point of that demonstration now and personally I found it amazing.

After this assembly I developed a very bad headache which I still have till now.

In further maths today we were recapping the things we learn last term and I honestly felt so good because after going from a C grade to an A grade in my last mock in lessons I feel like a genius lol!

English language was quite difficult today we were practising question 1 in the exam which is my weakness but i tired to pull through and write as best as I could.

Science was good today but I really felt lost when describing different genotype and alleles etc. I just kept getting the name of things confused but when I got home I did some key word revision on meiosis and mitosis which was actually a success.
I also did a B2 mock paper which I will take pictures of. All in all despite this horrid headache I'll be going to bed content that I didn't leave my confusion in class to another time where I'll probably be more confused. Thanks for reading once again!
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Please tell me you're joking? I used to sing in a church choir too. I gave up about a month ago because I couldn't commit every weekend anymore. This is scaring me now!! :smile: I think I'm going to try guitar again in the summer. I also bought a flute last summer but due to my braces couldn't play very well and ended up making my lip really sore. When I get them off, which I'm hoping with be soon, I'll try that as well. I'm starting to realise how much I take on!

I had braces too when I was in year 9!! I was so excited to get them off, I bet you are too:tongue:. Choir is a massive commitment but now I'm actually even leading the choir at times and many of our members have left because of university so leaving wouldn't do anyone any good. It's all good thought new members have joined :smile:. I can play the recorder (learnt it in primary school) but I'm very rusty now since I haven't used it for so long :u:. You don't realise how much you take on till you need to set about 10 alarms to wake yourself up in the morning hahahah
(edited 8 years ago)
Today was the first day back and it was great! It started with an assembly grilling us year 11s to knuckle down as exams will be here before we know it.
My head teacher started the assembly in a very cleaver way. What he did was he started an empty mug which he placed at the back of the hall. He then grabbed a golf club and golf ball and tried to whack it into the mug. He did this 3 times and missed. He then stood up straight and said to us "I've never played golf in my life, this is in fact my wife's club" we were all shocked because he was quite close to the mug. Then he said "do you think that with a couple more hours of practise i could get all 3 balls in?"
You've probably seen the whole point of that demonstration now and personally I found it amazing.

After this assembly I developed a very bad headache which I still have till now.

In further maths today we were recapping the things we learn last term and I honestly felt so good because after going from a C grade to an A grade in my last mock in lessons I feel like a genius lol!

English language was quite difficult today we were practising question 1 in the exam which is my weakness but i tired to pull through and write as best as I could.

Science was good today but I really felt lost when describing different genotype and alleles etc. I just kept getting the name of things confused but when I got home I did some key word revision on meiosis and mitosis which was actually a success.
I also did a B2 mock paper which I will take pictures of. All in all despite this horrid headache I'll be going to bed content that I didn't leave my confusion in class to another time where I'll probably be more confused. Thanks for reading once again!
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope your headache gets better! It's always a pain and on the first day back? Even worse. Mitosis and Meiosis and all the genetics stuff are confusing but once we've got it it should be stuck in our brains forever, right? :smile:
Reply 9
I hope your headache gets better! It's always a pain and on the first day back? Even worse. Mitosis and Meiosis and all the genetics stuff are confusing but once we've got it it should be stuck in our brains forever, right? :smile:

Just wait until you get to A-level!

interphase, prophase, anaphase, metaphase and oh god I do not remember this...
I had braces too when I was in year 9!! I was so excited to get them off, I bet you are too:tongue:. Choir is a massive commitment but now I'm actually even leading the choir at times and many of our members have left because of university. It's all good thought new members have joined :smile:. I can play the recorder (learnt it in primary school) but I'm very rusty now since I haven't used it for so long :u:. You don't realise how much you take on till you need to set about 10 to wake yourself up in the morning hahahah

I've had braces for 3+ years. :frown: In my choir lots of younger people were joining but none of the older ones were leaving. They kept saying they were going to and then staying. It was starting to get a little too repetitive after 7 years and now I've stopped I have so much more time at the weekends.

Recorder skills! This is getting creepier. :smile: I played it in year 3 and 4 but I haven't picked up a recorder since then. I may or may not have just agreed to make a sorting hat costume for my brother for world book day. No idea what I'm going to do but it will be fun to figure out. I'm going to have to talk to my old textiles teacher and see if she'll help me! (she hasn't spoken to me since I told her that I wasn't taking textiles for GCSE) I'm sure it will be fine though!!! Once I remember how a sewing machine works
Original post by jamestg

And that is why I'm not doing A-level biology! :smile: Hey you got four though! That's a good start.
Reply 12
Original post by jamestg

I actually know about the prophase, anaphase and metaphase already:tongue:Since I do triple science I decided to take advantage by choosing chemistry and biology for a level which I think is good for me as I'll have an edge over those who actually don't do triple now
I actually know about the prophase, anaphase and metaphase already:tongue:Since I do triple science I decided to take advantage by choosing chemistry and biology for a level which I think is good for me as I'll have an edge over those who actually don't do triple now

Which exam board are you with for triple science? We haven't learnt those yet...
Which exam board are you with for triple science? We haven't learnt those yet...

It's not part of the spec, don't worry! It's just extra stuff :smile:
Reply 15
Omg this too funny I know all too well about teacher holding grudges for not choosing their subject. As soon as I left drama it was like a betrayed the whole of mankind lol! The recorder was so good in primary school because you got to get out of lessons now i really appreciate its actually helped me today with musical notation in GCSE's.

In my choir, now that the younger ones have left, the olders are joining and keep telling me what to do ugh. I've been in the choir for about 5-6 years and I plan on staying till maybe next year because I want to go to Harris Westminster and they have schools on Saturday so I don't think I can cope with choir after on the same day.

World book day is so fun! I remember when my teacher dressed up as willy wonka and the whole class was dressed as oompa loompahs (if that's the right spelling lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
It's not part of the spec, don't worry! It's just extra stuff :smile:

Thank you! I can't put my relief into words right now.:smile:

If I'm completely honest the only thing triple science does is prepare you for the workload. In biology, there have only been a handful (less than 5) of topics which we touched upon in B3.

It's great to hear you already know about that kind of stuff, just make sure you focus on what the spec needs for now so there's room for other subjects!
Reply 18
We're with Aqa and we know about all those phases but not in detail sometimes our teacher just adds them in the lesson as extras. She's so passionate about biology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by jamestg
If I'm completely honest the only thing triple science does is prepare you for the workload. In biology, there have only been a handful (less than 5) of topics which we touched upon in B3.

It's great to hear you already know about that kind of stuff, just make sure you focus on what the spec needs for now so there's room for other subjects!

Yhhh I guess you're right, focusing on the spec is a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending